Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R F10 not able to boot from SATA DVD with AHCI

Default GA-EP45-DS3R F10 not able to boot from SATA DVD with AHCI

Here is my setup:
    GA-EP45-DS3R F10 (new)
    GV-NX84S512HP GeForce 8400GS 512M video card (new)
    Pioneer SATA DVD-RW DVR215
    Seagate SATA 200G HD (later replaced with a bootable USB key for quick testing)

In the old days, if I want to boot from CD/DVD, I just make sure the first boot device being [CDROM]. It works the same for this motherboard before I enable AHCI.

After I enable AHCI, I noticed that the BIOS add an entry of [P4-Pioneer DVD]. However, no matter how the priority of boot devices is set, it always boot from the hard disk/USB Key! To the extreme, I tried

First Boot Device [P4-Pioneer DVD]
    Second Boot Device [Disabled]
    Third Boot Device [Disabled]

and also making all of them disabled. It still boot from the hard disk/USB Key!

I am sure the DVD is bootable because when the hard disk or the USB key is not plugged in, it then boot from the DVD!

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R F10 not able to boot from SATA DVD with AHCI

There are some other posts about this..

You don't say either what you are trying to boot from? (ie specifically type of media and boot loader type if known)

My PC is in AHCI mode and I have an IDE & SATA DVD/rw drive which work fine. Except however, older and current low level utilities such as hard drive diagnostic programs won't boot on the SATA drive. Also many of the Current linux Distro's won't boot from the SATA drive.
    If you have to use the SATA DVD/rw drive then disabling AHCI mode is the only way you'll get some of the utilities to boot. Also many of the utilities can't see your Hard Drives anyway when you are in AHCI mode, as I've found when using my IDE DVD/rw drive to boot from.

The good news is that a few programs are emerging that will support AHCI at least in part. And Acronis recently sent me a True Image 11 version with an alternative boot loader, that would allow booting from the SATA drive.

There were also some issues when installing windows whilst in AHCI mode and using a SATA DVD/rw drive, hence I incorporated the IDE DVD/rw drive in my system.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for you reply.

For the tests, the USB key is loaded with syslinux, the hard disk has XP (from another system) and the DVD is Ubuntu 8.10 DVD. I was trying to boot from the DVD.

As it was a new system, I discovered this issue when I was trying to boot from an utilities DVD to do some hardware testing. Obviously, it can boot from the DVD 'cos when no hard disk is connected, it happily boots from the DVD. It should not be the DVD that stuff up things.

I think it is the BIOS is at fault. If that's the case, it is a real disappointment as the SATA DVD-RW and AHCI has been out for so long and we still keep buying the legacy IDE DVD burner?!...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Does F12 at bootup let you select the DVD drive or am I understanding this wrong?

I got the impression the Poster meant that the CD/DVD would be accessed as part of the systems right boot sequence but would fail to load the media? If that is the case, this is a common problem with SATA DVD/rw drives (IDE DVD/rw not affected) when the Controller it is connected to is in AHCI mode.

There are newer boot loaders about now that will allow Linux based utilities/os's etc to boot correctly and load up from an SATA dvd/rw drive.

However, even if you do have a new Bootloader incorporated with your utility and it's the type, such as say Western Digital Diagnostics, Seagete Seatools, Hitachi's DFT (drive fitness) although the Seagate and Hitachi utilities will boot, they won't see the Hard Drives when the system is in AHCI mode.

The only utility I know that has got around this is Acronis True Image - which I use in "linux bootable rescue disk mode" to Image my drives whilst in AHCI mode.

So if I am reading the posters post correctly, this Isn't a Gigabyte Bios Issue, but simply the companies that are releasing utilities (self bootable type) that are using an old bootloader. You can always prove the point by turning AHCI off!
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Norton's Save and Restore 2.0 works with AHCI or RAID As well VorlonUK, incase you was interested in others. I will be testing the latest Ghost and True Image myself soon, Ill let ya know how those fair with RAID

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Does F12 at bootup let you select the DVD drive or am I understanding this wrong?
    Thanks for this tip. Never notice this F12 option.

My issue was: no matter how the boot sequence is set in the bios, the system has never been able to boot from ANY CD/DVD in a SATA DVD drive whenever a bootable hard disk or USB key is connected AND ACHI is eanbled. Once I disconnected all the other bootable devices and only the SATA DVD drive is connected, then the system can boot from the CD/DVD.

Thanks for the F12 option which enabled me to find out the cause: timing!

In a normal operation, the F12 boot menu shows the DVD drive as a boot device. Selecting it doesn't make it to boot from the DVD. However, I noticed that the DVD drive starts to spin the disc only AFTER the system jumps to boot from the hard disk! Since then, I start waiting at the boot menu and do not select the DVD drive until the DVD spins up and the LED turns off. In this way, I can get the system to boot from DVD drive every time!

The bios must have timed out the dvd drive and decided that the dvd is not bootable so it jumps to the next device. Without the F12 boot menu, DVD drive will therefore have no chance to be booted from no matter how the BIOS boot sequence is set.

I better put a sticker on the box to remind myself to do that.

Glad I could help you find the issue. Are you sure it was not just a USB Device causing you to not be able to boot to CD Normally? You can disable legacy USB Storage detect to test that

Sounds like you have your fix though, Could just be a buggy BIOS. Did you try older ones? If so, you may have to wait and test newer ones out

Thread Information