Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P - Slow iSrc bios boot (old sata 150 hdds)

Default GA-EP45-UD3P - Slow iSrc bios boot (old sata 150 hdds)

Hello,
    I just bought this board (changed over from a dfi) and when i enable raid for the ich10R chipset a isrc bios comes up and detects drives my first two seagates (sata 2) detect under 1 second , however my older maxtor 6Y200MO (x2) take around 1 minute each to detect (these are raid drives) after it gets past the isrc bios the ICH10R bios detects them fine under 1 second)

I just came from a dfi p45 board with the same chipset but it seems they removed the isrc bios (since it passes everything over to the raid bios anyways) is there anyway gigabyte can fix this bios and either make it detect faster or have a option to disable the isrc bios in the system bios.

also on the +12v voltage sensor speedfan / everest / (plus many others) only see 0.01 on the 12v rail and i noticed in the gigabyte bios it never changes from 12.49v is this a flaw in the board gigabyte covered up by hardcoding a value in?

some other bugs i noticed is if you enable profile1 for epp ram then under pc health - the cpu fan control will get set to disabled.

board came with F5 bios and bugs are still present in F7a bios.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P - Slow iSrc bios boot (old sata 150 hdds)

iSrc bios = ahci bios
    (it shows before the intel ICH10R bios shows bios must be set to raid or ahci for it to show).

This is really disappointing i can't even begin to tweak this board because it take 2 minutes to just get to the system bios (every time you change something in the bios the system resets and have to wait for it to go though all the hard drive bios's again (wouldnt be a problem if it detected the hard drive faster, it seems heavily dependent on the drive type my two seagate drives detect fast but they are newer sata 3g/s just my two maxtors have the slow detect time. (on the ahci isrc bios)), also a nightmare when installing os's since they need alot of reboots, i can't disable raid since i don't want to risk curupting my raid array.

I really hope gigabyte can fix this.

By the way all my hard drives pass smart and performance / fitness is 98% also no bad / relocated sectors. i have had this raid array for 4-5 years and this is the first board to have this slow detect problem. (I also just had a dfi bloodiron p45 chipset board and they worked fine on that system and that board is nearly identical to this one (besides they removed the ahci bios in raid mode)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Isrc is hard-coded into the board/Intel Controller so no they wont remove that. It will show up RAID/AHCI or not

If you use the latest Everest your 12V will be picked up correctly as this is what I use. Easy Tune 6 will also show you correct voltages. Speedfan, HWMonitor, PC Wizard not so great at this. Latest Everest Trial/beta can be found here in post # 3 >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/intel-burn-test-27994/

As for your EPP issue, there is no EPP Pickup. XMP is not the same, yes it is similar but not the same as EPP. You should be using XMP programmed memory if you want to use those settings, otherwise disable it and enter your own settings. You could ask Gigabyte tech about this being a BIOS issue, but I assure you that will be the reply that you have to have XMP Specifically programmed memory for it to function properly.

Extreme Memory Profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will just have to get used to the Isrc BIOS loading, or you could boot from the Gigabyte ports and disable the Intel ones if you wanted

I think i confused you with the isrc (SATA AHCI BIOS iSRC v1.07 and it isnt even needed when using raid)) the bios is executed from the main system bios (just like the ICH10R bios and the gigabyte raid / IDE ahci bios) Its not hardcoded into any chipset/cpu its software and it resides in the main system bios, I could remove it with a program like CBROM (Using CBROM) but really that would void warrentys (i have already peaked at the F5 bios with cbrom and saw the ahci bios, i would just need to release it then flash the bios to the board) ...I would just perfer gigabyte to do it so it doesn't void the warrenty.

But if they don't make it faster or something im going to have to i cant live with a 4 minute boot up time. Maxtors are popular drives there should be no reason for it to be so slow detecting these. and reading other forums other people have this problem also, maybe gigabyte needs to update the SATA AHCI BIOS iSRC v1.07 bios after all 2006 is old .

anyways here are some other links of people with the slow detect problem
    Gigabyte X48 SATA AHCI BIOs question - Tech Support Forum
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L & EP45T-DS3R - Phoronix Forums
    (post #3)
    ..i could find more but i don't have time.

As for epp , xmp might be different, but still selecting profile 1 in the bios shouldnt disable the cpu fan speed control (you dont even need to reboot to see it (put it to auto or enabled) then go back and change the xmp profile to profile1 and then go back to the cpu section the cpu fan control with be set to disabled..

Ill try the new everset soon and see if it helps with the 12v setting.

As for using the gigabyte ports (btw its really Jmicron) i just dont trust it with raid , i bought a intel board so i could use the ICH10R chipset, so i can have a nice stable raid array, i just came from ICH5R and never had a problem.. (just that dang AHCI bios is really annoying esp when it isnt needed. After it detects it says "This drive is controlled by the raid bios" (its just like saying "i just wasted 4 minutes of you time for nothing!"")

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh, ya I was confused about that I think! I know what you mean now for sure. I mod my BIOS's always. But I do have a floppy connected and set as first boot so if I have to anytime I can blind flash back a different BIOS. I always mod mine and never have issues, but that is all up to you and as you suspect I cannot advise it

Ya, EPP is not XMP nor is it a compatible option to use. If you do not have XMP Programmed memory then you should not be using the XMP Settings. So that may be what is causing your issue, or it may not be? Only XMP programmed ram would let you know for sure if that issue is BIOS related or just because you are not using XMP ram

Ya, I know it is J.Micron, and you can use the Direct from J.Micron drivers if you like. It is ok to use, I used to run Vista from it

To Mod or Not to mod is what you have to decide it looks like?

I am used to the loading time, I hated it as first myself. But yours may be slower? I think mine takes about 45 second for windows to start it's processes

Thread Information