Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Unhappy Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Hello everyone. I came to this thread through a google search and wanted the help of Lsdmeasap if possible. I have the R version of the mobo that the OP has (no SLI/X-fire support), but everything else is pretty much the same (1066 Corsair Reaper ram (2X2gig)), E8500 purchased in Jan of this year. I tried the settings that were recommended by Lsdmeasap and could not get the system to boot. The weirder thing, however, is that I could not get it to boot with any combination of multiplier/ram timings, or even lowering the fsb down from 401 to 333. It just refused to boot even to the POST screen. I tried multi's down to 6 which would be under 3GHz, and a whole bunch of stuff in between. I loosened the ram timings to ridiculous values and still nothing. I'm stumped because I am definitely a newb to the OC scene since my last build was a Athlon 64 3200+ 4 years ago. Since then there are a ton of additional variables to change that I just don't understand and this is after reading countless OC threads across the web. I was hoping to be able to simply plug in the values that were suggested and then be able to lower voltages and tighten up timings, but I can't seem to get anywhere. I had been able to get to 3.5GHz by screwing around with just upping the FSB speed keeping everything else on default. That would seem to tell me my CPU is fine and it's something with the ram or more likely all of these weird mobo voltages that I have no clue what they do. Could anyone look at the OP and the recommendations by Lsdmeasap and figure out what the heck could be the problem? I can start a new thread as well if it would be better. Thank you in advance for any help.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Lsdmeasap currently does not have time, as noted in the sticky thread in this forum.

List ALL your hardware and fill out the BIOS template and describe what you tried in as much detail as possible. You migh need more MCH Core with 4 RAM sticks but I need more information to tell what's wrong.

Sorry, I only have 2 ram sticks 2X2gig but they are the Corsair Reaper 1066MHz kit and so should easily handle stock speeds at 2.1v (I even tried 2.2v to see if it was a voltage issue and no luck).

Basically my hunch is it is a mobo voltage/timing issue with the values:

CPU Vcore 1.25v [1.35v]
    CPU Termination 1.2v [1.3v]
    CPU PLL 1.5v [1.5v]
    CPU Reference 0.76v [0.823v]
    MCH Core 1.1v [1.38v]
    MCH Reference 0.76v [auto]
    MCH/DRAM Reference 0.9v [auto]
    ICH I/O 1.5v [auto]
    ICH Core 1.1v [auto]

As I changed virtually all of the multi/FSB/ram timings with no luck. I'm pretty good at deducing problems but this one has me stumped and my guess is it has something to do with those voltages but I don't know where to go (ie higher? lower? combination?)

I spent about 2 hours today rebooting, changing one setting, rebooting, changing another setting and nothing I did would let it boot. I'm back on stock settings for the time being...

Bummer on Lsdmeasap not being able to help.

I need more information to help you. Please fill out a complete a complete template with the settings you used for 3.5 GHz and we'll go from there.

Also list ALL you hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    I need more information to help you. Please fill out a complete a complete template with the settings you used for 3.5 GHz and we'll go from there.

Also list ALL you hardware!
    My system is:

GA-EP45-UD3R E8500 w/ Xigmatek 120mm Rifle cooler
    4 gigs of Corsair Reaper 1066MHz ram with HeatSpreader (2X2gig)
    Tuniq Potency 550w PSU
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512meg (Toxic edition, stock OC)
    Seagate 250gig SATA HD
    SViking case with 120mm fans House between 50-60F during this time of year (it's not a ambient issue!)

Current settings are back to STOCK but this is what I tried:

*MB Intelligent Tweaker ->Robust Graphics Booster [Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio [9x] tried everything from 6X-9.5X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio [+0.5] tried this at 0 just in case the 1/2 multi was causing problems
    CPU Frequency 3.13Ghz was shooting for 3.6-3.8
    ***Clock Chip Control**** CPU Host Frequency [400Mhz]
    PCI Express Frequency [100Mhz]
    C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
    *Advanced Clock Control CPU Clock Drive [800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew [0ps]
    MHC Clock Skew [100ps] tried up to 300ps

***DRAM Performance Control***
    Performance Enhance [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile [Disabled]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [2.66D]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 1066 [1069]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Manual]
    CAS Latency Time 5 [5] set these to much looser timings with no success
    tRCD 7 [5]
    tRP 7 [5]
    tRAS 24 [18]
    **Advanced Timing Control** same with these, no luck
    tRRD 4 [6]
    tWTR 4 [6]
    tWR 8 [6]
    tRFC 68 [65]
    tRTP 4 [6]
    Command Rate (CMD) 0 [2]
    *Channel A Timing Settings*
    Static tRead Value 11 [9] all under set to auto --> Channel B Timing Setting identical *Channel A Driving Settings [1066MHz] all under set to auto --> Channel B Driving Setting identical

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled] tried setting this to enabled but no luck
    CPU Vcore 1.25v [1.35v] Put these voltages at the recommended levels
    Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
    CPU Termination 1.2v [1.3v]
    CPU PLL 1.5v [1.5v]
    CPU Reference 0.76v [0.823v]
    MCH Core 1.1v [1.38v]
    MCH Reference 0.76v [auto]
    MCH/DRAM Reference 0.9v [auto]
    ICH I/O 1.5v [auto]
    ICH Core 1.1v [1.2] tried 1.1 as well, no luck
    DRAM voltage 1.8v [2.1v] tried 2.2 as well, no luck
    Dram Termination 0.9v [auto]
    Channel A reference 0.9v [auto]
    Channel B Reference 0.9v [auto]
    ****Advanced BIOS Setting****
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Enabled]
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3 [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
    Virtualization Tech [Disabled]
    Delay For HDD (Secs) [0]

PLEASE HELP!
    EDIT: Does Tweaktown not like Firefox? I typed this up all nice and when I posted it it took out all of my spacing? (NM, found out Noscript was causing the issue. Imagine trying to view that whole list without spaces! Gave me a headache just trying to sort it out.)
    Last edited by 7Enigma; 02-16-2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: formatting is all screwed up?!?

Wanted to also mention something I find very odd. When I look in my bios PC health it says my 12volt line is running at 12.3v. When I use CPUID Hardware Monitor (in Windows) it says my 12v line is 12.48v?!? Can this be right? This is a completely new PSU I bought and Tuniq is not a no-name brand....

The sensors might be wrong but that does not sound good. Do you ahve a multimeter you could try to measure the voltages of one of the 4 pin PSU connectors with? put one end to a black cable and then emasure the voltage at the yellow and red cable (I don't remember which on is 5V and which one is 12V).

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    The sensors might be wrong but that does not sound good. Do you ahve a multimeter you could try to measure the voltages of one of the 4 pin PSU connectors with? put one end to a black cable and then emasure the voltage at the yellow and red cable (I don't remember which on is 5V and which one is 12V).
    I do not. Since writing that I did some googling and a lot of people seem to have very wild differences in voltage reporting. I'm just trying to supply all the info so I can get this overclock, but I don't think it's an issue. I've been stable as a rock at stock speeds, even after undervolting my cpu.

Unstable voltages can be fine at stock (or lower) speeds but a stable voltage from the PSU is extremely important for overclocking.
    Looking at the settings you tried I'm pretty sure that your problem is your PSU. Try to borrow a multimeter (or buy one for 10$) or even better try a differnt, brand name PSU.

PS: The cause of several people's overclocking problems here in the last couple of days turned out to be the PSU.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-16-2009 at 04:40 AM.

You really don't see any settings I could try in the bios to fix this? I'm still stumped at how I was able to hit 3.5Ghz by just messing around with mostly stock settings, but couldn't even do 2.8Ghz with the recommended voltages and settings when properly setting everything else? That doesn't sound like a psu issue to me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information