Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

So I decided to try something else. I realized I had never booted the system with the voltage to 1.35 on the cpu. I kept the same 3.5Ghz setting but changed the voltage and it booted to the POST screen fine so at least I can rule out some weird overvolting issue. What's more, I'm now slowly increasing the FSB to see where I can max out with my stock voltage. I'm @ 380MHz FSB giving me 3.61GHz. I'm going to inch up bit by bit until it won't POST, and then see how stable a step down is. Maybe I can hit my 3.8GHz without messing around with other settings and call it a day until I actually need the extra horsepower (I game at 1280X1024, so it's a bit more cpu limited and if I had a larger LCD).

There are several voltages like CPU Termination and CPU PLL that the BIOS will icnrease to dangerous levels that have been proven to kill CPUs. Therefore you should not leave them at auto!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    There are several voltages like CPU Termination and CPU PLL that the BIOS will icnrease to dangerous levels that have been proven to kill CPUs. Therefore you should not leave them at auto!
    Thank you for this info. I wouldn't have known. My voltage is set to 1.25 and termination to 1.1. CPU-z in windows is showing 1.216v idle and 1.200v load. Remember this system was built last month so stepping A revision E0 so I'm assuming they've got it pretty much perfected. BTW I'm now up to 3.75GHz on stock settings. All I've been doing is upping the FSB speed and everything seems to be working fine. I'll Orthos for 3-4 minutes to make sure there are no gross issues, and then move to the next level. Hell I might be able to hit 4GHz by just upping this number....
    <br />
    <br />

Thank you for this info. I wouldn't have known. My voltage is set to 1.25 and termination to 1.1. CPU-z in windows is showing 1.216v idle and 1.200v load. Remember this system was built last month so stepping A revision E0 so I'm assuming they've got it pretty much perfected.

BTW I'm now up to 3.75GHz on stock settings. All I've been doing is upping the FSB speed and everything seems to be working fine. I'll Orthos for 3-4 minutes to make sure there are no gross issues, and then move to the next level. Hell I might be able to hit 4GHz by just upping this number....

EDIT: What should I have for the CPU PPL? That one I haven't been monitoring....

So I'm back in Windows after setting CPU PPL to the stock level (the number it had to the left of where it says auto). Are there any other numbers I need to take off of AUTO? I'm a bit scared to keep going up and up if there are values that are getting changed without me knowing to dangerous levels.

Termination and PLL are the ones that will scale. The other ones are fine on auto.

Read this to find out more about voltages:
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Living Review - Page 2 - Clunk's Forums.

Termination and PLL are the ones that will scale. The other ones are fine on auto.

Read this to find out more about voltages:
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R Living Review - Page 2 - Clunk's Forums.
    Fantastic! I was able to hit 3.9GHz on stock voltage but it crashed when loading windows. I was stable at 3.75GHz so I'll have to do some tweaking between those levels to see what I can hit without bumping up the voltages. Thank you again for the termination and PLL warning. I'm much more confident now in experimenting with different settings knowing I can't cause any serious damage. Still no clue why the values the OP had wouldn't work but at least I'm not stuck at stock speeds.

Looks good!

You may want to increase VCore a bit there to go higher. I have an E8500 as well here and it needs 1.25V for 3.8GHz (mine is the older C0 revision though, yours is better so it may need less VCore).

Also be sure to run Orthos at least 1.5 hours, and longer to be absolutely sure whether the system is 24/7 capable. Also use only one instance of Orthos, I don't know if 2 instances aren't even worse for finding errors than one.

Also use another temp monitoring program, yours doesn't seem to be accurate (see my sig).
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Looks good!

You may want to increase VCore a bit there to go higher. I have an E8500 as well here and it needs 1.25V for 3.8GHz (mine is the older C0 revision though, yours is better so it may need less VCore).

Also be sure to run Orthos at least 1.5 hours, and longer to be absolutely sure whether the system is 24/7 capable. Also use only one instance of Orthos, I don't know if 2 instances aren't even worse for finding errors than one.

Also use another temp monitoring program, yours doesn't seem to be accurate (see my sig).
    I'm using 1.25v in the bios, I don't know why CPU-z is showing 1.21 (that seems like quite a voltage drop), so I'm at the same voltage you used for 3.8.

Yeah the temp program seemed screwy under the core0/core1 but under the system temp it seemed to be showing proper scaling. I liked HW monitor but if it isn't giving appropriate temps I'll definitely go with another one.

And I was just testing Orthos for 5min to make sure there wasn't any gross errors. I'll definitely torture the system for a night once I'm happy with the levels. I had thought running 2 instances (one a mix to include ram and the other the small FTT's for the cpu) would be the best for total system stability?

EDIT: So I downloaded coretemp and interestingly it has the same values as HW monitor has where no matter what voltage I'm using the idle temp stays at 36/37C which doesn't make sense to me. Under HW monitor the system CPU temp does fluctuate the way I would have expected (lower if my voltage is lower) and has a much greater swing when under load, so I had thought that would be the correct value. Either way, unless both are incorrect the max temp I'm seeing at 3.85GHz is 44C on core0, core1 only hits 40C at max (is this common to see a 4C difference between cores or could it be my thermal paste application? I had a nightmare of a time with the stupid pushpins and probably didn't get the nice heatsink seating I normally do)

One last thing:

I have the bios memory timings set to 5-5-5-18 @2.1 volts but when I'm in windows and look at the memory tab under cpu-z it shows my timings are 5-7-7-18?? Is there some auto setting in the bios that is overriding my timings? cpu-z shows my dram frequency is 486MHz with a 5:6 FSB:Dram so I'm below the 533MHz my ram is rated at for 5-5-5-18 @2.1?
    Last edited by 7Enigma; 02-16-2009 at 08:53 PM.

It's perfectly normal that the voltage shown by CPU-Z is somewhat lower than what it's been set to in BIOS. I actually use a higher setting for the VCore to get to ~1.25V.

So increase the VCore a bit.

Two instances of Orthos can cause conflicts in the Windows CPU time scheduling causing Orthos to not stress the CPU as much as it could.

For advanced CPU testing small FFTs finds errors faster than blend, so if you know that the RAM is stable use Small FFTs to test the CPU.

You can also increase the Priority in Windows which will increase the strain on the system and find errors faster but will also make you unable to do anything else on the PC.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information