Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    It's perfectly normal that the voltage shown by CPU-Z is somewhat lower than what it's been set to in BIOS. I actually use a higher setting for the VCore to get to ~1.25V.

So increase the VCore a bit.

Two instances of Orthos can cause conflicts in the Windows CPU time scheduling causing Orthos to not stress the CPU as much as it could.

For advanced CPU testing small FFTs finds errors faster than blend, so if you know that the RAM is stable use Small FFTs to test the CPU.

You can also increase the Priority in Windows which will increase the strain on the system and find errors faster but will also make you unable to do anything else on the PC.
    Now I'd only increase the voltage IF it's not stable correct? I don't see a reason to up the voltage over 1.25 in the bios if I'm stable in Windows. Thanks for letting me know about using only a single instance. I do not know if my ram is stable, I actually have a hunch the problems I've been having if not from the mobo settings is something odd with the ram.

As for my previous post with the timings, I went back in and for some reason they were set back on auto. It's possible I forgot to change them since I was using the profiles to jump between stock, 3.5, 3.75, 3.85. I switched the timings back to 5-5-5-18 and now cpu-z is showing those timings so at least that one was easy to sort out.

As for priority for Orthos, is 1 the lowest and 10 the highest? What level can I put it on that it will stress the system but still allow me to cancel it? (I don't need to do other things on the computer while stressing)

Sure only increase if it's unstable! You said that you tried overclocking higher but it was usntable, that is why suggested increasing VCore.

10 is highest. You can still cancel it at 10, but it may take a minute or two actually shut down after you click.

Sure only increase if it's unstable! You said that you tried overclocking higher but it was usntable, that is why suggested increasing VCore.

10 is highest. You can still cancel it at 10, but it may take a minute or two actually shut down after you click.
    I'm guessing it was unstable probably due to the ram timings more than the cpu voltage (but it could be both). I'll give it 30min on 10 priority and see if anything fails. Right now I'm extremely pleased with the overclock as the temps are relatively low, and I can hopefully keep this OC when the summer comes around (my 50-60F room gets to around 90....)

My biggest gripe is the 9.5X multi. My ultimate plans are to use RMclock with the performance on demand feature to allow me to switch between gaming and surfing the web without rebooting and changing bios settings. Unfortunately RMclock does not support 1/2 multi's and so it will only use 9X multi. I'd have to try some really high FSB speeds which after all the previous troubles may not be possible. My previous build (Athlon 3200+, 2.0GHz stock) I had idling at 1200Mhz and very low voltage, but would OC to 2.4GHz for gaming. It was nice to conserve a bit of power, but more importantly keep the heat down in the room on hot summer days.
    Last edited by 7Enigma; 02-17-2009 at 12:21 AM.

It should be no problem to just use the 9.0 multiplier instead, the CPU should hit a higher FSB easily. Max. FSB isn't usually an issue on dual cores unlike on Quads.

It's the ram I'm worried about, not necessarily the cpu.

Well you said it's 1066 "Corsair Reaper" (no such thing btw, Corasir makes Domintor and OCZ makes Reaper ;P). You can set the system memory multiplier to 2.0 and have the FSB run at 533 to ahve the RAM at exactly 1066. As you see the RAM is no issue here :)

So if you want to overclock further, try setting the RAM multi to 2.0D, increase the VCore and get that FSB going :D

Well I didn't think it would be this simple, but I just dropped the multi to 9.0, and upped the FSB from 405 to 428 and it booted fine. I'll have to do some stress testing now but this is awesome as hopefully I'll be able to use RMclock now to underclock when not needed.

You've been a huge help, thanks again!

EDIT: ran Orthos for 1hr with these settings and no errors!

Last edited by 7Enigma; 02-17-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Well you said it's 1066 "Corsair Reaper" (no such thing btw, Corasir makes Domintor and OCZ makes Reaper ;P). You can set the system memory multiplier to 2.0 and have the FSB run at 533 to ahve the RAM at exactly 1066. As you see the RAM is no issue here :)

So if you want to overclock further, try setting the RAM multi to 2.0D, increase the VCore and get that FSB going :D
    Lol, yes you're correct it's OCZ. Like I said I had rebates on almost all of my stuff so the ram box is pretty much destroyed and in the basement somewhere in case I have to dig it out to fight OCZ on a rebate.

Also I don't know exactly where my limit is. I just chose 3.85 to coincide with where I was with the 9.5 multi. I'll probably try to bump that up more and see where I max out on 1.25v. Then I may decide to go higher, but honestly, I don't know if there is a benefit to me personally gaming @ 1280X1024. I'm probably getting frame rates much higher than my eyes can see.

Bah, well it appears that RMclock doesn't work properly with my cpu. It will change the clock speed, but doesn't appear to change the voltage (probably since it's not auto in the bios). I think RMclock is not going to be usable which is a shame since I really wanted to reduce the idle power draw, but I'd rather have the ability to OC the cpu!

You can also use profiles in the BIOS to quickly change the settings. Save a profile with F11 and load it with F12.
    That way you can have a profile at stock settings with EIST (lowers multiplier and voltage when idle) that you use when you don't need the extra performance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information