Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P + E8500 + 8gig (4x2g Muskin) ram overclocking help

Hi everyone. I'm new here and am thinking about oc'ing my cpu to around 3.4-3.6 GHz. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 just like 7Enigma. Right now I'm running it at 3.2 GHz and my temps are way above what I see on 7Enigma's screen shot. At idle I'm at 40c and at full load it goes up to 50c. Would I see a big jump in temperature if I go up to 3.6 GHz?

BTW, I have Zalman CNPS 9700 LED Cpu Cooler with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.
    Last edited by acarcia81; 02-17-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Update

Have you read my FAQ? What program are you using to read the temp?

Idle temp doesn't matter.

You might go to like 55 to 60C maximum I guess if you were to try, but that's perfectly allright. The best way to find out is to try :)

Hi Nickel. I just read your faq. Lots of good info. I'll play around with my oc'ing and see how it goes. I think 60c at full load will be good enough for me. I'll let you guys know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    You can also use profiles in the BIOS to quickly change the settings. Save a profile with F11 and load it with F12.
    That way you can have a profile at stock settings with EIST (lowers multiplier and voltage when idle) that you use when you don't need the extra performance.

Yeah, someone previously posted the bios saving into profiles. That made it much easier to try new things since I didn't have to write the settings down and then change them. I never knew it was possible since it's only available on the main bios screen, not when you are within the actual settings.

I know it sounds lazy but I liked RMclock because I didn't need to reboot. I could just turn off "performance on demand" and game at max speed. Then when I quit the game I would just put it back on POD and it would go back to low power.

Quote Originally Posted by acarcia81 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new here and am thinking about oc'ing my cpu to around 3.4-3.6 GHz. I have the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 just like 7Enigma. Right now I'm running it at 3.2 GHz and my temps are way above what I see on 7Enigma's screen shot. At idle I'm at 40c and at full load it goes up to 50c. Would I see a big jump in temperature if I go up to 3.6 GHz?

BTW, I have Zalman CNPS 9700 LED Cpu Cooler with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound.
    The CPU cooler I have is pretty good, not in the top of the line $50 coolers, but quite good with a large 120mm fan. More importantly, however, is how well (ie thin) you apply the thermal compound. Too much and you can have very poor heat transfer which would give you high temps at both idle and load. 40C isn't bad for idle as I'm in a very cold house this time of year so my ambient temps are the high 50's to low 60's (F of course)...sorry too lazy to convert to C.

What voltages are you using for the 3.2GHz OC (well basically stock)? If you are over 1.25 you probably have quite a bit of headroom to OC without upping further, and so while you'll increase the temps it won't be as drastic as having to increase the voltage as well.

Goodluck to you, and while it was a painful process trying to do it the "right" way by changing a bunch of settings, once I started to use it pretty much on auto (see all of my recent posts with exact settings if you want to try) it was almost too easy. In less than an hour I pretty much went from and ready to just give up to going to 3.5, 3.75, and now I'm stable @ 3.85 with clearly quite a bit of headroom left. I just don't see much need right now but I'm sure if I get bored sometime in the future I'll spend a bit of time and see if I can break 4GHz which I hear is not particularly difficult with this chip in its latest revision.

Ok, so I have brought my cpu to 3.81 GHz, but cpu-z, core temp and real temp show my speed at 2.4 GHz. System Spec in control panel and Orthos show it at 3.81 GHz. Which one is true? I know in my BIOS the multiplier stays at 6 for some reason. Is there something wrong with my setup?

Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW I would have posted just a snapshot of the whole screen with all those apps up, but I have dual monitors so it comes out all small and tiny and in panaromic mode.

Update: I was playing l4d and now my cpu speed in real temp and in core temp is 401.16 x 9.0 = 3610.48 MHz. Which is what I set in the BIOS. Too weird. Can anyone explain this?
    Last edited by acarcia81; 02-17-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: update

Goodluck to you, and while it was a painful process trying to do it the "right" way by changing a bunch of settings, once I started to use it pretty much on auto (see all of my recent posts with exact settings if you want to try) it was almost too easy.
    Don't want to to sound condescending here or anything but I'm pretty sure you messed up somewhere and changed something you weren't supposed to change or entered something wrongly.
    Usually for a decent overclock you only have to change 3-4 settings (FSB, memory multiplier, VCore and maybe RAM voltage). And of yourse set CPU Termiantion and CPU PLL to their default values since the BIOS greatly overvolts here on AUTO for some reason.

@acarcia81

You have speedstep (EIST) enabled in the BIOS, it will automatically decrease the multiplier when the CPU when idle hence the lower speed.
    Speedstep was originally intended for notebook CPUs to save power since the lower multiplier allows the CPU to work at a lower VCore when idle and thus save power. But it's been on desktop CPUs for a while now as well.

Don't want to to sound condescending here or anything but I'm pretty sure you messed up somewhere and changed something you weren't supposed to change or entered something wrongly.
    Usually for a decent overclock you only have to change 3-4 settings (FSB, memory multiplier, VCore and maybe RAM voltage). And of yourse set CPU Termiantion and CPU PLL to their default values since the BIOS greatly overvolts here on AUTO for some reason.
    Not at all, you have been a great help. I can just say I spent hours using the OP's settings and the recommendations by the Gigabyte member to no avail. I copied them EXACTLY. I triple checked after nothing was working and still no luck. I have the advantage of having my wife's computer next to my desk so I can just be sitting at my desk in the bios, and looking at her monitor to copy the settings.

Prior to any of the posts I tried to use Gigabyte's own utilities (latest available from the website) for autoclocking using the 1-2-3 "easy buttons" I'll call them. None of them worked, and I actually had to uninstall one of them (EasyTune 6?) because when I tried #2 or #3 it was stuck in a constant loop at boot where the system would crash right after logging in. Not a great program IMO if it doesn't know it's causing issues and since it decides to do it during boot I couldn't even load windows. I ended up having to boot into safe mode and uninstall it so that I could get windows to load normally (just removing the startup entry did not solve the problem). If I had been a total newb, my computer would have been unusuable.

What was more frustrating was after copying all of the worst case settings from this post (ie highest safe voltages, loosest timings, lowest frequencies) I was still not able to even get the system to boot to POST. It would just reboot and use the previous good bios settings.

On the plus side, only one time did I have to open the case to actually clear the CMOS. That is fantastic, as I used to have to constantly short the jumper on previous builds. With this mobo I have the case closed, under my desk in a more confined area so I know my OC is stable since it's installed where it will be used.

So once again I thank you for your help, but would highly doubt it was an incorrect copying on my part.

acarcia81,

I had the same thing happen to me. As Nickel mentioned it is the EIST setting in the bios. It's a power saving feature that throttles down the cpu when not needed. With it enabled if you look at cpu-z AFTER you start an Orthos/Prime run you will see the speed and voltage change. But I would recommend only looking at cpu-z for actual MHz levels. It seems that Orthos does not accurately show frequency (I'm guessing if you have a memory divider that is not 1:1). My 3.85GHz system shows up @4GHz in Orthos, likely because it doesn't account for the 5:4 divider.

I personally do not like EIST, because even when on completely stock settings I had some crashes during gaming that I'm attributing to the throttling (the game has never crashed since I turned EIST off, and that includes gaming last night at 3.85GHz). It's a nice function in theory, but I just didn't feel it was stable enough to use. I'd also recommend disabling all the other power savings states as well while you are trying to find the final OC level and voltages/timings. They can play havoc on troubleshooting and you can always turn them back on after finding your best settings.
    Last edited by 7Enigma; 02-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.

@acarcia81

You have speedstep (EIST) enabled in the BIOS, it will automatically decrease the multiplier when the CPU when idle hence the lower speed.
    Speedstep was originally intended for notebook CPUs to save power since the lower multiplier allows the CPU to work at a lower VCore when idle and thus save power. But it's been on desktop CPUs for a while now as well.
    Thanks Nickel, you've been such a great help within this thread. The thing is, C1E and EIST were the first things I disabled before over clocking. I guess it's ok as long as my overclock eventually hits. Right now I'm running Orthos and cpu-z is showing my speed at 3600+ MHz.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information