Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

Default GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

Hi, I've put a GA-EX58-UD5 kit together and it won't even POST. It just starts up for about 1 second, with lights and fans, then powers off. However, this just loops about every 5 seconds. I've run outside the case on wood, plus it was on the risers in the case. Tried 1, 2, 3 sticks in the white slots moving away from the CPU. Also does the same without any memory fitted. Can it usually boot and tell you there's no RAM without sticks? Tried clear CMOS button. Tried re-seating the CPU. Both ATX power connectors are fitted to the board.

Any ideas? Really need this running now. Need to send the motherboard back?

spec is:

GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 920 (retail boxed)
    G-Skill 3x1GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-2800C9
    Corsair TX750 PSU

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 no POST, powers on - off loop

check the PSU voltage. Remember to fill in the white banks before the blue on the board.

Thanks for the comment. I've now tried with two different brand PSUs, same thing happens. Yes, I've tried one, two or three sticks in the white banks, starting from the slot near the CPU, moving across. Also tried no memory at all. Sadly, the same result, just loops power on every few seconds. "Mr-Kaizer" also has the same problem. Sounds like it needs to be returned to me.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Are you sure that ram will start at 1.5V? If it will not then that may be the issue

The RAM is G.Skill 3GB DDR3 NQ PC3-12800C9 1600MHz (3x1GB) Triple Channel DDR3 (F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ) spec'ed as 1.5v-1.6v. I'm presuming it would.

I'm wondering if its that incompatibility issue with some i7 920s posted on Gigabyte's website.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Where is that at? Gotta link? I dont see any issues posted anywhere like that, infact I see tons of reviews and Overclock's posted with GA-X58 boards and 920 CPU's

i've the same problem. my board gets an infinity course of loop. The only difference is that it runs the first time i've install it for about 4 hours, than after a reboot of the os it starts the fake boot. I suppose that my 920 is not compatible with gigabyte board. In the mais website gigabyte says that some i7 cpus have problem with this board and raccomends us to update the bios to F3. But in my case in the first boot i saw that the bios version was F3 yet! If you have the opportunity to try an other i7 920 cpu with an other batch, do it. What code error the board displays when you power on?
    Intel core i7 920 |Noctua NHU12P Lga 1366 + Nanoxia FX12 2000 rpm| Gigabyte EX58-UD5 | 3x1Gb OCZ 1600 CL8 | 2x WD velociraptor 150 gb raid 0 | Corsair Hx1000 W | 2 x Nvidia GTX280 SLI | Thermaltake armor black | Logitech G15 | Logitech G5 | Logitech z2300 2.1 | Samsung 37 |

The i7 incompatibility problem causing boot issues is mentioned in the CPU compatibility link from the product page at Gigabyte. Trouble is, I've never even come close to a boot, so I don't even know which BIOS I have and couldn't update it anyway.

Anyone know what happens if you boot with no RAM installed? Does it POST and give a reasonable error about having no memory, or does it do an infinite loop restart?

Gigabyte CPU issue link is:

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - FAQ - GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

Gigabyte tech support have asked me to RMA, suspecting the mobo isn't starting up properly. It's nice to have a fast response from them.

Yeah but the number of board not booting first time is pretty sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information