Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclocking my Q9550 GA-EP45-DS3L w/ G.Skill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Overclocking my Q9550 GA-EP45-DS3L w/ G.Skill

You dont have to run 533 FSB to get 1066 on your ram. You could run 401 FSB and use the 2.66 D multiplier or run

After 400 FSB you are going to need to use the "D" Strap multipliers (2.00D, 2.66D, or 3.33D), that and you may need 2.1v on your ram or maybe 1.26-1.28 MCH Voltage

And of course, yes you can run 533 FSB on your CPU if you want and 2.0)B or 2.00D Memory multi, but you will spend some time getting that stable for sure

LSD, thanks for the tip. I'm going to try that tonight to see if the 2.66D multiplier will work. Hopefully the NB strap or the voltage on the ram is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown_R View Post
    Do you still run that? 70C is pretty hot for the CPU isn't it?

Prime95 hasn't pushed my cores higher than 51C yet, but I'm only at 3.6Ghz
    Yeah, with 450fsb clocks, it runs hot on one core. The other 3 run about 60c. I just got a flaky CPU.

Good luck with your setup.
    -=Mark=-

No luck guys. I can't seem to change my memory speed to anything other than 2.00D multiplier. I'm at 3.65Ghz running stable so far, but ram is still where I left it. I upped the voltage to 2.1V on the ram and changed the (G)Mch to 1.26V. It'll get to windows, but it locks up before I get to the login screen.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: crapola...I just ran the small FFT test on my 3.6Ghz setup and core #3 fails after a few minutes. It doesn't in the blend or large fft test. Should I up the voltage on the core a bit? I heard the 45nm chips shouldn't have more than 1.3V...is that right?
    Last edited by Cowtown_R; 12-16-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Ya, you may need more voltage to your CPU (Vtt and or Vcore) na, you can use 1.3+ for sure. And do keep in mind what you set in the BIOS is not what you get in windows and it is even less at load. You can check this difference with CPU-z

You should always be sure at any set of settings that your ram is passing 5-10 passes of memtest86+ before you try to test with orthos/prime because you will never know if it is your ram causing issues or not. Quick failure is often voltages though, just so you know.

If you still keep having issues please post the full settings you are using and we will advise

Cool, thanks. I think I noticed that voltage maxxed at 1.26V in CPU-Z even though bios is set to 1.29375...I'll try to crank it up a bit. Temps aren't going higher than 54 C under load in Prime95 so still in the safe zone.

Sounds like good temps! Ya if you have failure or errors and your ram is passing memtest86+ then you likely just may need a bump in CPU Voltages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information