Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UD3P - mp3's & DES not playing nice

Default UD3P - mp3's & DES not playing nice

All -

First, I appreciate any help you guys could give!

I have a new installation with vista, and am using a UD3P, X-Fi extreme gamer, e8400, 4 gigs of memtested g.skill ram.

When i run iTunes or any other mp3 player without DES on they sound fine.

When i turn DES on, the audio pops and is distorted.

Could this be an audio driver issue? or something with the motherboard supplying power to the PCI card?

Thanks!

Default Re: UD3P - mp3's & DES not playing nice

There have been some other posts on this, but at present i believe it's a DES derived issue.
    It sounds like the power saving feature is generating spikes when it switches and is possibly noticed moreso on some Audio cards.
    It may be something that could be addressed via a future bios update, depending on the design of the board.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

wow, thanks! so i'm not going crazy here? i'm halfway tempted to either A) get a new sound card B) try XP and see if it happens or C) get another UD3P and see if it happens there... suggestions?

also, i can't seem to find the other posts on the subject, any leads would be super appreciated.

thanks so much!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do you need DES? C1E and EIST save you plenty as is, without DES

If not, uninstall it that would be much cheaper then buying a new board

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do you need DES? C1E and EIST save you plenty as is, without DES

If not, uninstall it that would be much cheaper then buying a new board
    Speaking of DES, what does it offer over the Clocking down from Windows/ EIST/C1/2/4E)from windows? Just reducing the power phases is what it seems?

Mine makes an annoying audible noise with DES on at idle when its down to the 2nd LED, if I turn it off the noise goes away, if the CPU throttles up w/ DES on the noise also goes away.

So basically if I have C1E/C2E/C4E/EIST on then the only thing DES offers is lowering the boards power consumption and making an annoying noise?

With DES open I see that at idle its showing ~1.5w for the CPU power w/ DES on, if I turn DES off it goes up to ~4.5w but the noise is back.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    Speaking of DES, what does it offer over the Clocking down from Windows/ EIST/C1/2/4E)from windows? Just reducing the power phases is what it seems?

Mine makes an annoying audible noise with DES on at idle when its down to the 2nd LED, if I turn it off the noise goes away, if the CPU throttles up w/ DES on the noise also goes away.

So basically if I have C1E/C2E/C4E/EIST on then the only thing DES offers is lowering the boards power consumption and making an annoying noise?

With DES open I see that at idle its showing ~1.5w for the CPU power w/ DES on, if I turn DES off it goes up to ~4.5w but the noise is back.
    My P35 board doesn't have DES, nor a bios entry for C2 & C4, only C1 and Eist. However, I'm trying to find out just how much affect these settings have or if they are fully implemented. Vista and as far as i know XP, allows you to monitor some of the C-states with Performance Monitor. I've been monitoring C1 & C2 states on my laptop and have yet to checkout my P35.
    It would be interesting to see with the noise issue if it is infact purely the DES causing the problem or a combination of it and the C- states.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...more-c-states/
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...to-be-a-catch/
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 12-15-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for the help guys, I have been playing with the system more, and find this effect also happens when i use the gigabyte "auto tune" application as well (just running, the app isn't actually "doing" anything)

Any suggestions here? otherwise the mobo is rock solid, but i wonder if it is defective since any gigabyte apps are causing this sound issue?

Thanks!

update*

just installed windows xp for ****s and giggles, sure enough, with DES turned on there aren't any errors...

i'm relieved because this makes me feel there isn't anything wrong with my mobo's hardware, but instead is a vista issue? creative drivers or just something inherant in vista?

what do you guys think?

(btw, it's really nice to have a group of people to ping this crap off of, i appreciate it!)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I would imagine a Vista incompatibility. Here is some info about C States that you guys asked about above that will give you some good insight about what each state does >>>
    Everything You Need to Know About the CPU C-States Power Saving Modes | Hardware Secrets

Thread Information