Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    From the Audio clip it does sound like a choke resonating/"ringing" on its core. Although that could be from the Motherboard, PSU or even Graphics card on depending what you are doing.
    Changing the bios version would simply be a Red Herring or if the bios did alter say the way DES worked, would only put off the noise until another "Profile" was met.

You can't stop this from happening, except maybe with another example of the board and then that may do it when another Profile is met.

The load (current) through a Choke varies depending on what you do with your PC.
    For instance when you boot up the CPU isn't seeing any Power Saving features. Once in windows power saving features (C1) are always working even if you've disabled the Extended versions of those features in the bios. This means the Current through the CPU VRM is constantly changing and it's when a specific set of circumstances are met, that a choke that is wound ever so slightly loose (on it's core) will "Ring" in sympathy. That is why the sound is sort of fleeting.
    OK !

Does that problem mean that i can request a replacement of my motherboard ?

Quote Originally Posted by bgnt44 View Post
    OK !

Does that problem mean that i can request a replacement of my motherboard ?
    I suppose that's down to the Retailers Policy. Although technically it's not a problem, it could be seen in warranty terms a bit like the dead/stuck pixel scenario on LCD monitors - all manufacturers have different policies on the matter.

Personally, if the board was OK in every other aspect, I wouldn't even consider sending it back. If it is that annoying to you (and most decent cases shield that sort of sound) then you could try returning it. Thing is, you can bet that if you return it to a retailer who does test the board, that they won't hear the noise or be able to recreate it.

Have you also monitored your power supply with HWMonitor, to see if any of your supply lines go out of specification whilst under load? Also are you using the 4 or 8 pin 12v atx plug on the board?
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    I suppose that's down to the Retailers Policy. Although technically it's not a problem, it could be seen in warranty terms a bit like the dead/stuck pixel scenario on LCD monitors - all manufacturers have different policies on the matter.

Personally, if the board was OK in every other aspect, I wouldn't even consider sending it back. If it is that annoying to you (and most decent cases shield that sort of sound) then you could try returning it. Thing is, you can bet that if you return it to a retailer who does test the board, that they won't hear the noise or be able to recreate it.

Have you also monitored your power supply with HWMonitor, to see if any of your supply lines go out of specification whilst under load? Also are you using the 4 or 8 pin 12v atx plug on the board?
    Exactly, i've return the board to the retailler and they can't hear anything ! ( i don't know why ) but the thing is that they don't want to replace it. So i'm a bit desapointed. I can't concentrate with sounds like this. I've bought lots of expensive hardware to have a very quiet computer and now i hear this sound.

I've take them my power supply too for testing but the same result : they say that every thing is normal.

As you can hear from the audio file, the problem is here. But what can i do ? What's gigabyte policy for these problem !!?

Thks

What's gigabyte policy for these problem !!?
    I have no idea......

Have you checked your PSU voltages though whilst under load?

Even another PSU could cure the "fault". It's all about when certain circumstances are met.

It's like wheel balancing on a car, annoying if you get some judder at common speeds, ie the urban speed limits, but not such a problem if it happens at say 84mph!

So it's more than likely if you swapped boards with someone else and they had a different PSU and CPU, memory and so on, that no noise would be emitted in the circumstances when it does for you.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

so only changing the psu could resolve the problem !

so only changing the psu could resolve the problem !
    It Could but it may not.

It's one of those things you could try if you could possibly borrow another PSU.

From Windows Idle to Prime95 loading what does HWmonitor report your 3.3, 5 & 12 volts are. Hwmonitor has a Min/Max reporting feature.

And like I said above, are you using a 4 pin or 8 pin 12volt atx connection????

If you are using a 4 pin like i believe the handbook says you can when NOT using Intel extreme CPU's, you could negate some Volt drop on the CPU 12volts VRM supply side if you use the 8 Pin connection, which Could/Might stop that Choke Ringing when it does.

I use the 8 pin but i've try the 4 pin but it doens't change anything

I've try a no name 430w psu but it make some noise too. maybe i should try a more powerfull psu ( 800 - 1000 w ) but it's a bit expensive and i don't know anybody who use it
    Last edited by bgnt44; 12-19-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Did you take your recording from one of the chokes around the CPU socket?

no the mic was near the psu... the sound is louder from the psu !

no the mic was near the psu... the sound is louder from the psu !

This is why i keep on asking about your PSU Voltages! Have you moved the PSU away from the motherboard, so you know for sure where the sound is coming from?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information