Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

hello !

i've a little question,

I've oc to 3,4 ghz ( it's ok )

but i've seen that occt core temp are around 70 - 80 C instead of easy tune 6 CPU temp is 50 - 60

what's the good value ?

Thks

Quote Originally Posted by bgnt44 View Post
    hello !

i've a little question,

I've oc to 3,4 ghz ( it's ok )

but i've seen that occt core temp are around 70 - 80 C instead of easy tune 6 CPU temp is 50 - 60

what's the good value ?

Thks
    I believe OCCT uses the CPUID SDK kit, so depending on the version you have i might not be updated for the X58.
    In this case I would tend to believe ET6 until all the other independent monitoring utilities out there get up to speed.

There is a sort of fail safe method you can use:-
    Connect up a case speaker to the motherboard Spk out Page 33 of PDF document.
    Then set on the PC Health Screen of the bios:-
    1) CPU warning temperature = 60C

That should then give you an audio warning if and when your CPU reaches 60C. Also if you haven't got a speaker (small case type) connected at present, you'll be missing out on valueable POST info.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

My UD5 also squeals. What do I do? Does the F5f fix it? The noise is very irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Corei7MAN View Post
    My UD5 also squeals. What do I do? Does the F5f fix it? The noise is very irritating.
    Some people find changing the the way the board is loaded (Cpu wise) by Disabling C1E in the bios will stop the chokes "ringing".

C1 Proper, should still work though as it is controlled via the OS, so your Cpu will stay coolish at windows idle.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Yeah but I shouldn't have to disable important features on a $300 motherboard. I used a linux live cd and the noise was gone (or at least signifiacntly reduced). Where are the GIGABYTE reps?

Yeah but I shouldn't have to disable important features on a $300 motherboard. I used a linux live cd and the noise was gone (or at least signifiacntly reduced). Where are the GIGABYTE reps?
    And I don't have to spend free time here trying to help people out either.

I gave you a possible solution and there are several posts highlighting the nature of the problem.
    If you care to do a search on this forum or any large motherboard forum you will find that it is fairly common.
    I'm not going to reiterate what I have already written on these forums - which has been in some detail as to why all makes of board and models can exhibit this nuisance.

It's Not a fault (in the same way a light bulb that gets hot isn't at fault). The only way in my opinion (and I have long history in electronics) is for taiwanese/chinese companies to up the level of component quality. Their current component quality is very good, but it's at a price point - it has to compete. When companies aggressively compete something has to give.
    If of course component quality was raised a level, then motherboards for instance would become far more expensive.

$300 is fantastically cheap for what you get - we pay more for the same products here in the UK and when you consider it, it's still a good deal.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-22-2009 at 03:42 AM.

I wasn't intending on offending you and I apologize if you took it that way. I certainly appreciate the help you've given me. I've looked over numerous forums and most of them end without a solution. This is the only exception so far but I'd rather not disable that function. I've noticed the new BIOS is F5f and was wondering if that fixed the problem sine the OP only tried F4?

I wasn't intending on offending you and I apologize if you took it that way. I certainly appreciate the help you've given me. I've looked over numerous forums and most of them end without a solution. This is the only exception so far but I'd rather not disable that function. I've noticed the new BIOS is F5f and was wondering if that fixed the problem sine the OP only tried F4?
    By altering the loading on the VRM chokes, you'll likely for given same performance alter the likelyhood of a choke "ringing" at an annoying audible frequency - thats still not to say it won't do so at another time, ie heavy loading or at idle.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference between C1 and C1E (enhanced). As far as I'm aware C1 is still invoked by default by later windows OS's and works regardless of C1E being enable or disabled in the bios.
    Performance Monitor (Windows Vista and probably XP) can be used to see C1, C2 & C3 in action in windows.

You'll notice that if you monitor your temps in the bios (PC health) for say 10mins (No C1 will be active), then boot to windows, you'll notice a decrease in temperatures once you've stayed idle for a few minutes. That is Vanilla C1 doing it's thing.
    All the "E"'s are enhanced as far as I can tell - basically taking good energy saving methods another step further, but not neccessarily as big as the leap that C1 "vanilla" makes.
    I suppose when it comes to laptops and battery life etc, if you can squeeze more efficiency that's not only a "green" thing but makes using smaller and lighter batteries more attractive, that has to be a good thing.

I'm not sure how Gigabyte would approach such a problem through a bios update short of altering (if they can) aspects of the VRM, which is essentially hardware which has limitations on what can be controlled, ie Vcore. Even so it's an electro/mechanical occurrence and stopping it making a noise at "X" will probably allow it to start making a noise at "Y".
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-22-2009 at 04:12 AM.

So is this a board that needs an RMA? Is this a manufactoring defect or is it present on all UD5's?

So is this a board that needs an RMA? Is this a manufactoring defect or is it present on all UD5's?
    It's not really a defect.

All boards from all manufacturers Can do it - question is, will it be in the audible range that annoys you.

Chokes are essentially electromechanical (when it comes to noise). The Copper windings that are wound around materials such as ferrite, will "ring" in sympathy at a given point.
    Chokes may be "locked" by some manufacturers (power supplies come to mind) with epoxy, hot glue, varnish etc to stop the noise form happening.

Basically you could RMA your board and get another one that does exactly or near on the same. (That could be from Gigabyte, Asus, Abit or any MB manufacturer)

It's not a fault, but its entirely upto you as to how you wish to proceed.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information