Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 really weird noises coming from it

So why don't they use solid state chokes?

To eliminate this, MSI has started using solid state chokes, which have the coil actually inside of the iron rather than wire wrapped around the outside. This process creates a choke with a single component rather than the multiple parts inside of a ferrite choke. Besides making the choke totally silent, a solid state choke can withstand higher current than a ferrite one, and also can handle sudden high currents, as when overclocking, much better than ferrite chokes. Also, something I find very interesting, the manufacturing process to build a solid state choke takes about 10% of the energy that is used in manufacturing a ferrite choke, making a solid state choke much greener than a ferrite choke.

Also when I put my ear to the PSU I hear a varying squeal too. I know it isn't the PSU since my Silencer 750W did the same.

After researching, I found out that C1E is really unnescessary and recommended to be turn off when overclocking anyways. So I turned it off and the sound is gone! Thanks for everything VorLonUK.

Hi
    i have the x58 ud5 and a corsair 620 psu
    had the high pitched squealing when first built system F3 bios
    change to beta bios overclocked 920 to 4.2 and disable all the enhanced cpu features except enable all cores
    the noise disappeared
    have used various beta bios after that and found no problems
    until now update to F5f and the noise return until overclocked and disable again all enhanced features
    i would guess that the noise is someting to do with the cpu enhanced features which i always disable

Has anyboby used the sound blaster driver which is on gigabyte web page and how does it compare with real thing
    also my easytune will now not load at strt up and comes up with new version avaible which i already have
    Last edited by markhaunch; 01-22-2009 at 03:01 PM.

I havent read everything, but it sounds like some sort of coil whine. If you do a google, you'll find lots of cases where a PSU, motherboard, GPU, harddrives or even a wireless netcard causes it. I had it, and i spend two weeks pinpointing it down..At first i suspected the PSU, since this seems to be the case most often. I tried five different PSUs, tried them in the case, outside the case, with the rest of the hardware isolated and listened to the PSU with a stetoscope and etc.. Turned out the PSU wasn't the problem. I tested the motherboard then, couldn't pinpoint it here either. Tried a different GPU before i changed the mobo. In the end, the only thing i hadn't tried, was disabling my harddrives. I took the power from all four and....silence! It was so crazy..i have had the drives for many years, but it wasn't until i changed to a much quieter setup that i noticed it. This was my case now, but before that my old Geforce FX5900 Ultra would whine whenever i was surfing the net, especially when i was scrolling. I remember reading about the problem on the Inquirer, and i read lots of threads where people tried do fix it.

Not that i think this is your problem. If it is coilwhine, you can usually push on the coil you think it is (if it isn't too hot!), and if it changes frequenzy, you got bonus. I think it could be your corsair HX, since i have read about A LOT of these making an aweful lot of coil whine.

So I've been e-mailing GIGABYTE about his and all they tell me is that it doesn't exist. Their logic is that since they don't hear the noises in the labs, then it doesn't exist. I've cited tons of references to users with the same problem. I've flashed the BIOS and even called them but the noise is still there unless I disable C1E. I want to see if they can fix this through a BIOS fix or whether this purely hardware related.They don't want to believe that their board produces a squeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Corei7MAN View Post
    So I've been e-mailing GIGABYTE about his and all they tell me is that it doesn't exist. Their logic is that since they don't hear the noises in the labs, then it doesn't exist. I've cited tons of references to users with the same problem. I've flashed the BIOS and even called them but the noise is still there unless I disable C1E. I want to see if they can fix this through a BIOS fix or whether this purely hardware related.They don't want to believe that their board produces a squeal.
    As i've explained in my previous posts about this, the very nature of the "nuisance" might not be easily recreated - ie by gigabyte. I would find it very doubtful that every x58 GB board out there did the same. These boards are very popular and GB have them at a very good price point. You would have thought if it were a major issue affecting most X58 boards then most likely your query would have been acknowledged by GB.

Saying all that though, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one board revision on the X58 models, simply as it's a different setup to previous boards/chipsets and of course, very new.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

It's no just the EX58 series, it's previous boards as well. It's a problem significant to GIGABYTE boards. If I knew about this issue before, I wouldn't have bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Corei7MAN View Post
    It's no just the EX58 series, it's previous boards as well. It's a problem significant to GIGABYTE boards. If I knew about this issue before, I wouldn't have bought it.
    It is annoying, I agree, but it is definately not Gigabyte Specific. I have an Asrock and Asus board that do it too. The Asrock (I have) uses open type chokes that i did decide to "lock" myself as the noise was annoying.

I understand it is annoying and I'm certainly not being a fanboy or even attempting to make excuses. But unfortunately it happens with everything that is electronic. Are there ways around it? - of course there are, but as per one of my earlier posts it's essentially down to component quality and pricing.

In the meantime, if with C1E enabled causes the VRM chokes to "ring" at an annoying frequency within the human audio range, with some setups, then disable it. As i've said previously I know thats not an ideal solution or even a proper solution, but from what i've seen C1E only makes a fraction of power savings compares to C1 proper, which is invoked by the OS.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    It is annoying, I agree, but it is definately not Gigabyte Specific. I have an Asrock and Asus board that do it too. The Asrock (I have) uses open type chokes that i did decide to "lock" myself as the noise was annoying.

I understand it is annoying and I'm certainly not being a fanboy or even attempting to make excuses. But unfortunately it happens with everything that is electronic. Are there ways around it? - of course there are, but as per one of my earlier posts it's essentially down to component quality and pricing.

In the meantime, if with C1E enabled causes the VRM chokes to "ring" at an annoying frequency within the human audio range, with some setups, then disable it. As i've said previously I know thats not an ideal solution or even a proper solution, but from what i've seen C1E only makes a fraction of power savings compares to C1 proper, which is invoked by the OS.
    Can I RMA my board when revision 2 comes out and receive the new one?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information