Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Won't Post, Turns it's self off and on continuously...

Angry Won't Post, Turns it's self off and on continuously...

******PROBLEM SOLVED, see below********

I had a GA-965P-S3 with an e6400, 4 gigs of Balistix DDR2 800, BFG 8800 GTS OC, Corsair HX 620w PS, running for over a year. Tuned it off one night, next day I turned it on, everything spun up, it didn't post, and it turned it's self off for 2 sec, and then turned back on and repeat until I flip the PS switch.
    I reseated every thing, tried single sticks of RAM, different Video card, power supply, no HD's etc..... Then nothing at all except, CPU, and then all the same things out of the case, same exact restart problem no matter what...

SO, I replace the Mother board with a GA-EP45-UD3P.... SAME EXACT PROBLEM! Repeated all of the above in and out out of the case. SO whats next? Processor right? Strange, but must be.... NOPE! Now Repeat all of the above (-$400) with the GA-EP45-UD3P, AND a new Q6600, SAME EXACT PROBLEM! Now I've already tried 2 Power Supply's, but to attempt to cure the total insanity I now have, I just went and bought a new 500w Antec PS, and of course SAME EXACT PROBLEM.
    So now I'm down to Brand new Mother Board, Processor, and power supply, and have the same exact problem I had to begin with???????

At this point (besides having no hair left among other things, especially since I can't get to all my Ebay auction templates, pictures etc, and I do most of my sales this week selling Christmas items...) The only thing I can imagine is the GA-EP45-UD3P I received is bad. (Although it seems insane that it's bad and doing the same exact thing as my old board)

Now I have a GA-EP45-UD3R coming tomorrow (I didn't want to wait for the P) and as much as I think "well what else could it be at this point???" The other part of my brain that's still partially functioning, is thinking "how can it be????"

ANYWAY, if anyone has any thought I might have missed, or some reassurance that the replacement board will do it, or directions to a real high bridge I can jump off if the board that comes tomorrow does the same thing, feel free to let me know!
    Last edited by Ramman1269; 12-16-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Solved...

Default Re: Won't Post, Turns it's self off and on continuously...

I'd say you've narrowed it down to one of the parts you're re-using, or to something not properly connected (power shutdown after a second or so most often means an overload or a short somewhere.)

If you can get your hands on one, try out-of-box assembly with PSU, CPU & fan, an old PCI video card, one stick of RAM, keyboard and a floppy that's about as basic as you can get.

If it then fires up, replace parts one at a time until the problem recurs.

If it doesn't start, try a different RAM stick that's about all that's left to try.

It goes without saying that you don't have anything metallic under the board when powering it out-of-box...

You can always eBay the leftovers....

Problem solved... Well the one with the computer anyway.... My brain is still fried..... lol...

2 sticks of my RAM are bad, and a matched pair, which means they were in the same channel.
    When I originally had the problem, the first thing I did was check for a bad stick. It did the same thing with every one. SO when I was trying to figure out why the new board was doing the same thing, I never thought about a bad stick of RAM cause I already checked them all in the old board... Since 2 out of 4 sticks are bad at the same time, I'm guessing the old board some how, fried the channel they were in?

SO besides feeling like an idiot, Maybe I saved someone that reads this, the aggravation that I went through, and realized RAM can go bad in pairs? I'm not going to test my theory of thinking 1 of the channels on the old board wound up way over volted, or shorted somehow, but I can't see two sticks in a matched pair taking a crap at the same time for no reason...

NOW, I have do decide if I should return this Q6600 and stick with my E6400@ 3.2gigs......

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry to hear about your ram. Ya, always test one stick at a time so you can tell what is bad.

Good luck with your decision. I would sell them both and buy a E3110 or E8400!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ram. Ya, always test one stick at a time so you can tell what is bad.

Good luck with your decision. I would sell them both and buy a E3110 or E8400!
    Yeah, after testing one at a time in the old board before I replaced it, I just wasn't thinking to test them again in the new one that was doing the same thing...

I thought about an E8400, but I do a lot of photo editing with RAW files and figured the quad would help?

I also read a lot about the new Balistix not being so good, mine were the D9's...
    So I might sell the new RMA sticks when they get here and go with another brand..
    Last edited by Ramman1269; 12-17-2008 at 03:50 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I guess a quad would be better likely in that case then

I am testing 8GB (4x1 and 2x2) of the new Crucial's right now and they work GREAT! Both sets are 800Mhz and both config's will do 1200+

The thing is you just cannot mix them with the old ones for sure.

I personally like and use Mushkin in all my Builds

I stuck with the q6600, I was hoping to change the FSB to 400 x 9 bump the voltage and be smooth sailing at 3.6, but that's not happening... LOL

I do have it at 3.4 427FSB x 8 but it needs almost 4.9v, its a GO 1.325vid.... Core temps from 37-43c NB 45c I haven't ran prime or anything yet, just played around in Far Cry 2 for a bit. And I could crank my fans up if i need to.

I'm waiting for Crucial to send me 4 1 gig sticks from RMA, they are sending all 4 because of the new voltage. I guess I'll give them a try when they get here. I guess it makes sense that they should be good since they are still rated at 4-4-4-12 and need less voltage then the old d9's.

I've been out of the loop for a year or so, there's A LOT more crap to deal with in the bios on this board then I'm used to! Looks like I might have to cave in and give Vista a shot again too, and decide if I should stick with the 4 1 gigs or move up to 8 gigs..... ALLL this crap to deal with now, just cause of 2 bad sticks of RAM.... LOL

It didn't feel to good when they said all 4 sticks will be $79. to cross ship either since I had over $500. in to my 4 when I bought them.... lol.....

Ramman1269 just saved me a ton of time, I have somewhat of the same configuration (Gigabyte MB, 8800 graphics,quad cpu etc...) (homemade pc) and my machine did the exact same thing as Rammands' startup, not sure but it may have spin up the drives and then shut down, repeat...and as soon as I pulled 1 of the memory chips out she booted up. I then put the same memory chip back in, in the same slots and the machine booted. wierd! I did a memory diagnostic and no problem! hmmmm

well anywaz,
    Thank you Ramman! you save me a ton of time as 4 Hard drives, cdrom, reset and power plugs and pci cards, cpu, fans, pwer supply, etc would take to pull out. ( I have been there before errrrr!

Thread Information