Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Trouble starting pc build - GA-EP45-UD3P & e8400

Question Trouble starting pc build - GA-EP45-UD3P & e8400

Hi all (sorry for the repost),

I am having trouble getting my family's new computer build up and running. I thought I would at least be able to get the system turned on with fans spinning, but alas, I am still quite the newb.

I am thinking that either I was careless and did not plug something in correctly, or there are compatibility issues with the components.

The parts I used were as follows:

-GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard
    -Intel e8400 cpu
    -OCZ Fatal1ty (2x2) 4gb ddr2 800 ram
    -bfg 8800gt 512mb
    -Antec Modular PSU 500w (Only comes with a 2x2 pin motherboard power plug)
    -old 320gb IDE seagate hdd

After plugging in the front panel connectors, 24pin power cable, 4pin motherboard power, cpu fan, HDD ide cable, and power cables to the rest of the system's components, I turn on the psu and push the power button, but all I get is a quick flash from the phase light indicator LED 1. Repeated attempts yield the same result.

I am also wondering whether or not an 8-pin (2x4) motherboard power connector is required, even though the manual seems to say that I can use my 4-pin one.

Any help is appreciated, and let me know if you need additional info.
    Thanks so much for reading!
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Default Re: Trouble starting pc build - GA-EP45-UD3P & e8400

Just a shot: I seem to remember a BIOS setting where you can choose "instant on" (or similar) vs. "delayed on" (where you have to hold the power button in for 4 seconds before it will start. Maybe try holding the button on for a few seconds.

You may be thinking about the "instant off" setting, where there is a 4 second delay before the power turns off. This is a safety precaution if you've enable write-back cache on your HDD so the writes have time to execute before powering down. Never heard of a delayed on setting.

Sounds like a power problem to me. Your board should work with a 2x2 12V connector as you noted, but you have to make sure you have it plugged into the correct side of the 2x4 connector. There's supposed to be a protective cover to ensure that's the case but my board didn't come with one so I can't tell you which side to use (my PSU had a 2x4 connector). Also, I assume you put your RAM into alternating slots (1&3 or 2&4) ... right? Also make sure the CPU has correct orientation to pin 1.

Thanks so much for the ideas - I double checked that the 4-pin connector was connected properly (the plug has a fool-proof design so it could only go in one way), took the hsf off to make sure the cpu was placed properly, and also tried switching the ram sticks from slots 1&3, 2&4, 1 only, 2 only, 3 only, 4 only - all no dice. I even tried holding the power button for a few seconds.. no progress still (just a blip from phase LED 1).

Anything else I can try?
    Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
    Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
    CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
    CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
    GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Hi xaglx, I have the exact same problem. My motherboard is also a UD3P and my power supply is also 500W with only a 2x2 12V connector. Did you ever figure out what the problem was for you?

I to have the exact problem on a brand new mobo, wont even post. Suggestions?

I managed to get mine to work by replacing the power supply that came with my computer case with a corsair 750w power supply. I'm not sure what the exact problem was, but it booted up instantly once I made the switch. My guess is the motherboard needed the 8pin (EPS12V) connector from the power supply, which the corsair has.

Quote Originally Posted by strangegreen View Post
    I managed to get mine to work by replacing the power supply that came with my computer case with a corsair 750w power supply. I'm not sure what the exact problem was, but it booted up instantly once I made the switch. My guess is the motherboard needed the 8pin (EPS12V) connector from the power supply, which the corsair has.
    Did it have a 20 or 24 ATX plug? my guess is this board tries to autodetect and somehow thats wrong..... I remember somone saying they had luck with the molex to 8 pin converters and I, think a 20 to 24 pin connector.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWire View Post
    Did it have a 20 or 24 ATX plug? my guess is this board tries to autodetect and somehow thats wrong..... I remember somone saying they had luck with the molex to 8 pin converters and I, think a 20 to 24 pin connector.
    I believe it was a 24 ATX plug, though it might have been one of those 20+4 plugs.

Thread Information