Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 sees only 4gb instead of 6bg

Thumbs down Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 sees only 4gb instead of 6bg

Hi,

i'm also building a new i7 rig using Gigabyte UD5 with G.Skill 1600 6GB. The freaking MB will not detect 6G under 3 Channels (white slot 1, 3, 5). It however see 4 GB under dual channels.

I've tried everything under the sun including flashing the BIOS to f4. althought they advertise that they support all the way up to ddr3 2100+, it fails with even a simple 3 channel setup with no OC. i think Gigabyte released this motherboard prematurely.

I'm seeing many other complaints similar to this about the whole 3 channel ordeal elsewhere. I'm completely upset because the layout of the mb is perfect for 3 sli or cfx, where as the similiarly priced Asus P6t has a crappy 2nd PCIx16; therefore hindering 3 sli/cfx.

Default Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 sees only 4gb instead of 6bg

hey guys, i have the SAME BOARD as you guys and i was experiencing the same problem. My RAM would only show as 4gbs instead of 6gbs and it was aggravating the **** out of me. But, the funny part is this the board isn't really defective. I Fixed it by loosening up the CPU screws just a lil bit and viola! it works! now it shows as 6gbs. I tightened it back up to see if it was the problem and it was the problem..... yeah i know, really weird. But, i hope it fixes your problem guys. :)

What the make/model of your RAM? Were you able to run it in 3 channel mode?

My problem is with 3 channel mode with this ram:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Phusion PC View Post
    hey guys, i have the SAME BOARD as you guys and i was experiencing the same problem. My RAM would only show as 4gbs instead of 6gbs and it was aggravating the **** out of me. But, the funny part is this the board isn't really defective. I Fixed it by loosening up the CPU screws just a lil bit and viola! it works! now it shows as 6gbs. I tightened it back up to see if it was the problem and it was the problem..... yeah i know, really weird. But, i hope it fixes your problem guys. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phusion PC View Post
    This may well mean you do have a defective mainboard.

Tightening/ loosening screws should have zero effect unless there's an unsoldered connection somewhere, a dry joint or a cracked PCB trace any of these will very likely arc and eventually fail.

It's likely your board isn't sitting dead flat on the standoffs and there's distortion somewhere all standoffs should be identical and tightened to about the same torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    This may well mean you do have a defective mainboard.

Tightening/ loosening screws should have zero effect unless there's an unsoldered connection somewhere, a dry joint or a cracked PCB trace any of these will very likely arc and eventually fail.

It's likely your board isn't sitting dead flat on the standoffs and there's distortion somewhere all standoffs should be identical and tightened to about the same torque.
    Or the board is not defective, but those annoying push pins for the i7s are plain clumsy to use. i have problems with mine all the darn time. i plan to get the Thermaltake Ultra 120 which comes with screws instead.

however, that doesn't mean that gigabyte mb's are not problematic. the Asus P6T has no ram compatibility issues, yet this sucker is not taking a G.Skill 6 GB 1600mhz designed for i7. GRRRRRR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information