Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-DS4P does not S3 STR Sleep or S4 Hibernate

Exclamation GA-EP45-DS4P does not S3 STR Sleep or S4 Hibernate

Hi all,

I just bought a new computer with the following specs:

Specs
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P F8 Bios
    CPU: Intel E7300
    RAM: Kingston 2*2GB DDR2 800Mhz
    Video Card: Gigabyte ATI HD 4550
    PSU: Corsair 520W
    HDD: Western Digital 320GB SATA
    Optical: Pioneer Blu Ray Combo SATA
    Other: One Hauppauge HVR-2200 Tuner card in the last PCIe Slot.
    Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit with SP1 and fully upto date with update.microsoft.com

I have no other hardware and no special software besides the stock windows and latest drivers for all. All the BIOS settings are set to "Optimized Defaults" .

The problem I am having is with S3 STR Sleep Suspend and I am having a similar problem with S4 Hibernate as well as with S3+S4 Hybrid Sleep.

S3 STR Sleep Suspend and S3+S4 Hybrid Sleep
    The computer will not go to sleep and can not be resumed after it has been resumed once.

The computer will boot and can be used as per normal. When the sleep command is given, the computer will go to sleep and stay asleep as normal. The computer then is resumed on command and all is fine and normal. Next time when I try to put the computer to sleep, the computer goes to sleep as per normal but within 1 or 2 seconds the computer tries to boot back up. All the fans turn back on, the hard drive starts to spin back up and all the various LEDs turn on. But within the next 1 or 2 seconds the computer turns back off. And in another 1 or 2 seconds it tries to turn back on and this cycle continues indefinitely.

The front power and reset buttons are unresponsive. The power cable has to be removed from the power supply to stop this cycle. When the power is restored, the computer is in the off state. The computer can now be rebooted. about half of the time, the BIOS settings have been lost when the computer is rebooting and a prompt is displayed asking whether BIOS settings should be restored from Profile 1 from the CMOS.

Windows then complains that the computer was not shutdown correctly and returns to the desktop.

S4 Hibernate
    The computer will not stay in S4 Hibernate mode 90% of the time. The computer may successfully hibernate the first time about 10% of the time. However on the second hibernation the computer will not stay in hibernation.

When the computer is commanded to hibernate, the computer will shutdown as per normal but with 1 or 2 seconds will reboot and resume windows. The computer will not stay in hibernation.

On a side note, when the computer is restarted to enter BIOS setup after resuming from one of these quick hibernations, getting into the BIOS setup is difficult. The BIOS will hang at various points before finally displaying setup.

I have tired the F7 BIOS version but that made no difference. The only power state I can use S5 Off. This is getting really annoying as I purchased this computer to use as Windows Media Center which means the computer will not turn itself on to do recordings or other scheduled tasks. Not to mention the long boot up time.

I suspect the motherboard or BIOS is fault.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS4P does not S3 STR Sleep or S4 Hibernate

The F9 Bios is what you need

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#c8c8c8 border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD bgColor=#ffffff>F9</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>2008/09/30</TD><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff>
    1. Fixed Vista S3 resume sometimes failed
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbat View Post
    The F9 Bios is what you need

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#c8c8c8 border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD bgColor=#ffffff>F9</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff>2008/09/30</TD><TD align=left bgColor=#ffffff>
    1. Fixed Vista S3 resume sometimes failed
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Where is this F9 BIOS you speak off?

The website only shows F8 which I am already using.
    F8 2008/09/30 1. Fixed Vista S3 resume sometimes failed
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-DS4P (rev. 1.0)

Sorry - my mistake. I was looking at the DS4 (which I have), not the DS4P.

The plot thickens.

The S3/S4 functions work fine when I remove the tuner card. Additionally the tuner card is not always detected as being present by windows.

The tuner card is detected as being present and operating in Windows only on cold boot ups. That is that the power cable from the computer power supply had been removed for a period of time before being reconnected and booting up the computer. The tuner card will operate perfectly fine.

When the computer is shut down and later turned back on (warm boot, without removing the power cable), the tuner card will not be detected as being present by Windows. The tuner card is not listed in Device Manager. Windows Vista Media Centre will report that there are no tuners installed. If the computer is now restarted from the start menu, the tuner card will then be detected as being present by windows and will now operate correctly.

I have tired different slots on the motherboard but the problem remains.

I have briefly tested the tuner card with another motherboard, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 F11 BIOS, same video card, same hard drive, Corsair RAM, Antec PSU 550W, Q6600 Intel CPU. The tuner card works fine in the P35 motherboard. It is always detected and S3 sleep and S4 Hibernate works fine. So the tuner card is probably fine.

Anyone got any idea on how to fix this?

Thread Information