Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to boot from usb-flash

Default Unable to boot from usb-flash

Hi all - I've been struggling for some time with a GA-MA69GM-S2H board which refuses to boot from a usb flash drive. I've read through numerous help pages here in the forum but whatever i try I cannot get the board to boot from the flash device. I've tried 3 different usb pen drives but nothing works. The only thing I haven't done is flash the bios. The board recognises at pre-boot that I've got a pen drive attached but still goes straight to the hard drive. I tried flashing the bios but I don't have a floppy drive on my pc and when I tried copying the bios update to a usb pen drive and using that the QFlash utility recognised the drive as a 'floppy' (!) but couldn't find the bios update file loaded on it.
    Has anyone got any ideas on what I can try next please?
    Many thanks

Default Re: Unable to boot from usb-flash

Are you looking to update the bios, via a USB Flash drive? It doesn't need to be bootable like say the default floppy method.

If you are attempting to update the bios, although the instructions are listed numerous times on this forum, I can go through it with you.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm trying to install linux via a USB flash drive but I can't get the board to boot from anything other than the existing hard drive. The boot screen correctly identifies the flash drive but ignores it. I've assumed (maybe wrongly) that the problem lies with the mb but I've tried a number of linux distros and can boot from the same flash drive on another PC. The only reason I was trying to update the bios was in case that fixed the issue but as I've described I can't get Q10 to recognise that there is a file on the flash drive. I've read all the previous instructions and posts (been trying to sort this out for 2 weeks), in a nutshell the usb storage parameter is enabled and I have copied the .f5.exe update file to a Fat32 usb pen drive. Your ideas greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

There are quite a few articles on how to boot Linux from a flash USb drive on some of the Linux forums. Personally i use a LiveCD and then install if I wish.

I doubt a bios update "fixes" the problem, but I think i know what you are doing wrong with the bios update.

The Bios package usually consists of three files:-

1) The bios Image (the bit you want)
    2) A Dos flashing utility (Not required when using Q-Flash)
    3) An autoexec.bat file (Auto Dos Utility loading - NOT Required for Q-flash)

Ideally use either Win-Rar (shareware) or 7-Zip to extract just the Image file to a USB stick, it's around 1MB in size.
    Then load up Q-flash and select the source (which can be a bit confusing) and you should find the image.

Let it do its thing and don't interupt it. It will say halfway through "Checksum = xxxx" Do you want to continue - Which of course you do.

When the Process has finished it should indicate so and then you can use the ESC (reboot) option to reboot PC where you then need to enter the bios and set up the optimised defaults, SAVE and reboot. Go back into the bios if you have specifics such as RAID or anything else that needs to be manually set before you enter windows.

Edit:- on the Q-Flash screen before you select the image, it will also say something like "Keep DMI Pool data" = Enable - you can set that to Disable before you start the flash Process. (you don't need to exit or reboot in between that)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi - I've downloaded the latest version of the mb bios, its a self extracting file which extracts 3 files - autoexec.bat, flash895.exe and ma69gs2h.f5. The last file is 512KB but I'm assuming thats the bios image so thats the one I've put onto a newly formatted (as FAT32) usb stick. I've booted up, keyed DEL to get into set up and then Q flash. I've set keep DMI pool to disabled and then selected source as floppy (according to the forum zip drives are still flagged up as floppy). Q Flash just responds by saying 'disk not formatted). The usb stick is formatted as FAT32 and thats how XP shows it (on another PC). I then tried a 1GB stick (also formatted as FAT32), Q flash seems to recognise that as formatted (so maybe it can't handle 4Gb sticks ?) but when I click on the source it doesn't find the file!
    The reason I'm trying to load the linux distro from a usb stick is because the installer doesn't like my DVD drive (bluray drive is maybe a step too far at this time for linux). I'm assuming the the DVD player/usb stick problems are not related but right now I'm trying to eliminate the possibilities one by one and updating the bios seemed a reasonably easy possibility to try out but apparently not ! Any ideas on what to try next?
    Thanks

Try formatting the smaller stick (<=2GB) to fat16 (fat).

I've had problems with some Linux distro's when my system has been in AHCI modes specifically in the way its supports some sata dvd/rw drives.
    Are you in AHCI mode?

Thumbs up Re: Unable to boot from usb-flash

Hi - thanks for the advice. I think I've sorted out the problems now. As far as booting from a USB drive I tried ZIP, USB ZIP and Floppy from the F12 menu and that didn't work but USB HDD did so that seems to be the answer to that question. I've also sorted the linux problem by replacing the blu-ray DVD drive (the installation CDs on a number of linux distros couldn't read it but obviously thats not MB related) and therefore on the 'if it aint broke' I'm not going to bother trying to update the bios.
    Thanks again for your help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Easiest way is just leave the USB Stick and reboot and hit F12 and choose Hard drive, in the next window choose your USB drive by name

Thread Information