Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX58-DS4 owners - please HELP

Default EX58-DS4 owners - please HELP

I've just assembled my new rig, a few days ago:
    i7 920
    GA-EX58-DS4 (F4 BIOS)
    3 x Kingston 1GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 1.5v
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB
    Gigabyte ODIN PRO 800w PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB
    DVR Pioneer 216d

and I think I have a problem. MCH temp in PC health (in BIOS) rises to 56C, and BIOS is on default settings (no OC whatsoever). I don't think it is normal for any temperature to be that high in BIOS (when CPU is idle). What are your temps?
    And another thing. Can anyone tell me where MCH is? I mean, MCH should be another name for NB, right (I think that MCH should now be in the CPU and not in NB)? So, does this mean that my NB is overheating? Any ideas what I should do? Should I replace the motherboard?
    Thaks everyone...
    Last edited by zivke; 12-26-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58-DS4 owners - please HELP

No, not yet, but I've installed GeminiII S, and the MCH (NB) temp is a bit better (probably because there is more air going through NB sink now).
    I've been searching the net and I found just one other guy who has the same problem (but no solution). Also, I think that the normal idle temp should be about 42C (I've seen such values in a few BIOS printscreens).
    I've decided to OC the CPU to 3.3GHz and to torture the motherboard for some time and see what happens. It runs pretty stable for now.
    Is it possible that the problem is in the thermal paste on the NB sink? (but if I try to fix this, I'll probably lose my warranty)
    Oh yeah, I am almost 100% sure that MCH is in fact the NB.

Well in older P35/45 ect board yes, MCH was NB, it very well may still be in X58 I just assumed they may have renamed it but maybe not.

I ALWAYS redo the thermal Paste under my stock heatsinks before I even fire a board up, Use NON Conductive of course

Will I lose my warranty if I redo the thermal paste?
    Is Arctic Silver 5 OK?

No, Arctic Silver is not OK. Use NON Conductive such as Ceramic, orTX-2 or MX-2.

I do not think so, but I am not 100%. I do know many put NB Coolers (Water and Air) on their boards and have RMA'd them. Just be sure you use non conductive that way if you have a issue and did RMA they would not be able to blame it on that, and so that does not cause you a issue such a s short

I will try to find out about the warranty and I will buy OCZ Freeze Extreme.

Thanks for everything!

I dont think you will find any info about that in the warranty, but I always do it and tons of users I know Watercool the NB and have RMA'd boards without issue.

Are you sure that Thermal Paste is NON Conductive? Just checking

I'm going to call the service that deals with warranties (in the store where I bought the MB).
    I think that OCZ Freeze is non-conductive. I saw a review where they said "NON conductive". I'll look into it more carefully.

Well your board is warrantied thru Gigabyte for 3 years, normally only a year if that from where you buy them.

OCZ Freeze seems to be non conductive >>
    OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Compound Review - Page 2 - Hardware Canucks

Overclocker Cafe - OCZ Freeze Thremal Paste Review

But I do see this noted on their site >>>
    Dielectric Constant@ 1KHz: 10.0
    OCZ Technology | Products | Cooling Products | OCZ Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound

Not sure what that exactly means, but looks to be a electrical constant. Higher Dielectric means more conductive, but I am not sure what the above ratio means towards conductivity or electrical capacity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information