Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New UD3P system build - what cpu/memory?

Default New UD3P system build - what cpu/memory?

Hello I am getting ready to finalize the purchase of my parts for my new computer build. The problem is I keep getting torn between which cpu and memory I should run.

I've had many tell me that my best bet right now is the E8400.
    The logic sounded like it made sense except that my question is why not go with the E8500 which is only a few bucks more and provides about 5% better clocking capability (so I am told).

Everyone I speak to tells me that the DUO core will be faster in 95% of the games out there. A Q6600 running the same price runs hot. The recommendation is to use the E8xxx chip for a year or so and if the software is written to take more advantage of it at that time I can upgrade the CPU or just go with an I7 upgrade in a couple years.

So what chip should I go with? E8400, E8500, or any other suggestions.
    What memory should I run with this board?

Many say that there is little to no significant difference in the 1066 vs 800 memory. With this said it is best to stay with the DDR2 800 running at the motherboard recommended voltage of 1.8. This way the memory is more reliable with less chance of failures.

Here were the (2) primary recommendations:

G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    New DDR2 800 CL4 @ 1.8v~1.9v
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Your advice would be greatly appreciated..
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-30-2008 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: New UD3P system build - what cpu/memory?

I don't think you can go wrong with either the E8400 or the E8500. Since you didn't mention any budget concerns, just get the E8500. One of the major reasons for getting 1066 memory is to get some guaranteed overclocking headroom. If you are not going to overclock then there isn't much reason to spend more on 1066. If you are interested in overclocking then you may be better off to spend a few dollars more to get the faster memory. My E8500 was ridiculously easy to overclock to 4.00GHz using the UD3P and G.Skill 1066 memory.

Yeah get the Pi black memory and you should be good, I wish I would have gotten it, darn combo deals,lol.

Go for the E8500 if you are not concerned about the little extra budget, even though this board will do crazy FSB so it doesnt matter about the multiplier
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 12-30-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks guys for the confirmation.
    I will be ordering my parts tonight :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I have a E8500 and a UD3P board and overclocking to 400 FSB was almost too easy. Slight tweak to the CPU voltage was all it took to 3.8 MHz.
    System Specs
    CPU: Intel i7 870
    CPU Fan: Zalman 10Flex
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55-Pro
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 - 2X2 gb
    GPU: XFX 4890 1gb
    PSU: Silverstone 700W
    System Drive: Intel X25-M 80gb
    Storage Drive: Hitachi 1tb
    Case: NZXT Khaos

Thanks...

It's encouraging to know how easily you could overclock. After I read up on it a bit I certainly want to try overclocking as well.. I order a mammoth cpu cooler that looks like a giant hotel ...lol.

One question I do have and was hoping I could get some suggestions.
    I found my new motherboard only comes with a parallel header on the motherboard with apparantly no connector included... I have a HP 4050 laserjet that is using the parallel interface. Any suggestions on the best way to connect it to the new style of motherboards such as my Gigabyte UD3P board? I know they have parallel to usb adapters, but not sure that is the best choice. I know my printer doesn't have any other options that I can see.

flyfisher is offline Member

Would an adapter bracket for an expansion slot on the back of the case like this work? Port Adapter - DB25-F Parallel Port Adapter w/ Mounting Bracket?

Hello Flyfisher,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes, that was exactly what I was going to pickup if nobody had a better solution. Since the pararallel connection is now becoming obsolete I thought maybe the parallel to USB adapter would be a better choice.
    I'm not sure whether there would be any signal loss or anything going that route or not. Unless I know for sure though I will probably just get the adapter as you pointed out here..

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    Would an adapter bracket for an expansion slot on the back of the case like this work? Port Adapter - DB25-F Parallel Port Adapter w/ Mounting Bracket?

Thread Information