Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 won't even get to BIOS

Default Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 won't even get to BIOS

Hi guys, I just bought and assembled a new system but I'm having huge problems booting the system. I've connected everything correctly from psu to motherboard (didn't forget the extra 2 4-pins to the motherboard and 2 6-pins for the graphics card). But when pressing the start button everything starts running (cpu/chassi/graphics fan rotating as they should, hdd also and the memory gets warm after a while). When looking at the POST codes on the motherboard it runs through some of them, but then it comes to "95" and "96" and after that it shows "FF". In the manual it says "Boot attempt (INT 19h)". And nothing happens after that, I can only reboot the system with same result.

I've tried most of the things that people have suggested on the forums, but nothing helps. Tried w/o graphics card, w/o harddrive, running every of the 3 memories in each of the 6 slots (both one at the time, two at the time and all three at the same time with every combinations possible I think). All I get is a black screen. I've tried to reset CMOS for about 15 secs at the rear of the motherboard.
    At first the system was in the case, but now I've taken it out on a desk and it's still the same (thought it could have been some short circuit or so but everything is running and not shutting down). Also when it was in the case it gave a short beep from the system speakers, which indicates every works fine.
    Only time the motherboard is "stuck" on a POST code is when there is no memory, then it shows "62" (I think) which isn't listed in the manual. But I guess it means something with missing memory or so.

My system:

Intel Core i7 920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    XFX Gtx 260 "Black Edition"
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Sata II 1TB
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) 1333MHz PC3-10666
    Corsair TX 650W
    Cooler Master Elite 333
    Samsung 245b 24"

Everything is new except the harddrive and monitor. But I know they work properly since they worked fine just a few days ago when they were in the previous system. Even took the hdd to the school just to be sure.

I don't know what more I could try. I saw there was another way to clear the CMOS, but I can't even get to the BIOS, so I don't know how it can be done.

Any ideas what it could be? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 won't even get to BIOS

My Method for Clearing the CMOS is posted in this thread and you do not need into the BIOS to do so >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

What is that ram's default voltage? If it wont boot at 1.5V that may be the issue?

um... you can reset the bios with the button at the back.
    there's a clear cmos button with all the plugs
    also
    your ram must be in the white slots to post, NOT the blue slots.

Yes, my Method + The Clear CMOS button will for sure clear it. I need to add a note in the linked post about boards with Clear CMOS Button as my board has one and I find it is often quirky

Ram's default voltage is 1.5v, so that shouldn't be the problem. And they are in the white slots. Have cleared CMOS only with the button at the rear of motherboard. Going to try to flash the BIOS with the method later and see if that helps.

Now I have tried with a bootable USB as described in the How to guide, but I get exactly the same result. Same black screen without being able to enter BIOS.

One thing I've noticed though during boot time before getting to POST code "FF" is that only PHASE LED, NB PHASE LED and DDR PHASE LED are lit. But they turn off exactly when "FF" shows up. All of the other LED's like CPU Voltage, DDR Voltage, NB voltage and SB Voltage never light up. Should it be like that?

Is there anything else to try or am I just another victim of a bad motherboard? Thus, I have to return it?

its kinda hard to diagnose a problem when you cant see it, my best guess is something isnt plugged in right. pull EVERYTHING out. and start over, prolly forgot to plug in a cable, **** happens.

FF means Boot attempt, not a error and will happen once the post passes. Do you have a case speaker connected? If not please connect one so you can see if you are getting a error beep or not.

Do you have another older GFX Card to try out, and or can you test this card in another setup to be sure it was not DOA? It may be the card and your system is posting you just cannot see it

And like said above I would personally get the board out of the case, OFF the tray and onto a Wooden table or cardboard box and start with the minimum. Make sure all Power cables are connected (ATX 24 and ATX 4/8Pin) and then your GFX card and it's power connection, CPU and heatsink, and one or two sticks of ram and NOTHING ELSE. Try with one stick of ram, one at a time incase one or two is faulty.

If it starts then you slowly add hardware until it does not and you will have your culprit.

Yes, Bad HDD and CD/DVD's can cause a non boot that is why ONLY the above suggested things should be connected when trouble shooting
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-01-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys. I already have everything outsite the case. But it didn't work for the few first times when trying to flash BIOS. I didn't change anything whatsoever and maybe after 7 or 8 attempts I finally could flash it with BIOS version F4. Installed Vista but it went really slow, more than an hour for some reason. And it lags often. Don't know if it's the version of windows od something with the components that cause it.

When I had it in the case the speakers were connected, and they did one short beep every time a booted. So everything was fine there at least.

Now the motherboard says FF after everything has booted. That means everything is ok? I don't have to worry about that anymore?

Btw, is having all the stuff outside the case "healthy" for the components? Wondering because I've ordered a Wester Digital Caviar Black 640gb to serve as system disc. And it's a little bit tight in the case so I have to take out some of the components again when the new hdd arrives in a few days. Does it make any damage (airflow etc) to the system?

This was the last time I bought something called Gigabyte.... I mean, you don't launch a motherboard specifically designed for a new processor and then have incompatible BIOS so you can't run it!! It took me quite a while to figure this out and get it working. And thanks to you guys I did.

I had a similar problem but it was so severe (Probably not F3 BIOS) the board was RMAed and replaced with a new one that boots fine. Then straight after I got a failed G.Skill module that caused 3 days of anguish and testing. Anyhow. I'm surprised you managed to get as far as flashing F4.

Vista 64 seems to have long hangs during installation. I've re-installed now about 20 times and each time is the same on my kit. Runs well though. Yes, staying on FF appears to be the last BIOS code before a successful boot, at least it is on my board.

Depends which components you want to run outside the case. Shouldn't run the mobo for long outside due to cooling, always on something non conductive, like wood, and ideally wear and anti-static wristband, or at least touch a big bit of metal to discharge static before touching. Especially important with RAM. You'll get away with running an HD externally.

Yes, when I think of the number of products I've had that fail, sometimes by design, things aren't what they used to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information