Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mirror an existing drive ?

Default Mirror an existing drive ?

I am a new Gigabyte owner (EP45-UD3P) and loved the board until I entered the RAID configuration. Every other board I've owned has been able to mirror a drive without losing the data on the existing one. From what I've seen and read this board can't do it though, is that correct?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Mirror an existing drive ?

Do you mean RAID 1? If you just mean Mirror a NON Raid drive then no, that would have to be done with the Intel Matrix software. But I am not sure if you can do that either.

I thought only hardware raid cards could do that. There is however PLENTY of programs you can use to do just what you want

Yes Raid1.

I currently have 4 identical hard drives and what I've done with the last 3 boxes I've built is.. put 1 OS drive on the side and do a fresh install on the other. Once I'm happy with my install and I know everything is just the way I want it then I create my array and mirror the first one on to the second. Once that is done I add the other two drives in a second Raid1 array.

I've done this on two boards with nvidia raid and one with a via raid controller. I've also gone from Raid0, to no raid, to Raid1, back to no raid, and then back to Raid0 with the nvidia controller... all without losing any data. I'm really surprised that the intel controller doesn't support any of this.

Does that mean if you're running Raid1 and one of your disks dies you can't rebuild the array? Isn't that the whole point of Raid1, 5, and 10? To be able to recover from any hardware failures.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well the Intel Software will rebuild a failed array but I think it is automatic or done by user before a failure. Have you read the PDF's on it, that would give you the best answers >>>

Matrix Program
    Intel® Matrix Storage Manager - User's Manual [PDF]

Chipset (ICH10R option ROM and all Documents)
    Intel® P45 Express Chipset - Technical Documents

I have the same board and same issue. This sucks! I loaded the one drive the way I like, installed the other drive later and set the Bios to RAID and it wouldn't copy the other drive to form a Mirror. There is no option to Mirror an existing drive and create a Raid. Promise cards offer this as well the Asus boards I've built but not this one. What a waste of time for me. Now I have to start all over again and then what happens when one drive fails? I buy a new drive and it won't rebuild without destroying all data on the good drive. Who's the brain-child on this one?

Thread Information