Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi LSD, Help Req PC Configuration

Red face Hi LSD, Help Req PC Configuration

Hiya LSD I`ve got reports from GPUZ & CPUZ as i thought they may help.
    GPUZ report http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/w8qgd/
    CPUZ Report http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=473448

Thinking of a Ram upgrade to either ddr2 pc26400 or ddr2 pc2 8500. what are your thoughts here?

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Turbo]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[+0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [auto]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [N/A]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [auto]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [auto]
    Memory Freq _______________[667]
    Performance Enhance = [extreme]
    CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 36
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [0]
    CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV] n/a
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] n/a
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] n/a
    System Voltage Control____ [auto]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [normal]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [N/A]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ normal]]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [normal]]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [normal]]
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: enabled
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [n/a
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [n/a]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
    Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________enabled *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
    voltage
    vcore - 1.2 / ddr18v - 2.1 /

Default Re: Hi LSD, Help Req PC Configuration

T Add I have changed the RGB and the performance enhance as I found the computer to be slower than expected. Regarding OC I don't know enough to mess with it really. I personally don't think this here black box is running anywhere near where it should and that without any real OC`ing. The reason for this is my son has a much older and lower spec PC and it appears to me that he`s getting better results from his. I bought this PC 3 months ago and I am just expecting more from it.

I use this for real time Music collaboration, Mixing and other music type apps (re plug guitar in) Its also used for some gaming. My boy has me addicted to the new NFS and i`m a die hard UT hard (Sad I know) the other uses of this machine are all general usage.

cooling is standard on antec 300 case.

Any help / guidance offered will greatly received as I ain't got a firkin clue what to do with what here. many many thanks

Russ

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Faster ram might help, but there is a few things you can do for sure to make it faster without overclocking. That is what you want to do right?

If so, please give me a link to your ram or tell me what the sticker says for timings, and voltage and or post a image of CPU-z SPD Tab

For now, you should be able to make these changes. And Of course if you want your PC to run at 3Ghz always disable EIST and C1E

Performance Enhance = [extreme] << Standard while you play with the other timings
    CAS Latency Time________________ 5 << Should be able to use 444-12 here or better
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 << ^^
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5 << ^^
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15 << ^^

Static tRead Value_______________ 8 << Try 5-7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [0] << Always Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [normal] << Set to +0.2-0.3 (2.0-2.1V)

Talking Re: Hi LSD, Help Req PC Configuration

Hiya LSD yes thats right dude I dont really want to clock because of the cooling issues and my lack of understanding. I`ve included cpuz report The Ram is Corsair VS1GB667D2 and is at
    Welcome to Corsair :: Value Select Product Information

I am thinking after seeing how naf the ram is that I should really look at upgrade what would u upgrade it with?
    CPU-Z 1.49 report file
    Processor(s)
    Number of processors 1
    Number of cores 2 per processor
    Number of threads 2 per processor
    Name Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    Code Name Wolfdale
    Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Package Socket 775 LGA
    Family/Model/Stepping 6.7.6
    Extended Family/Model 6.17
    Core Stepping C0
    Technology 45 nm
    Core Speed 3000.3 MHz
    Multiplier x Bus speed 9.0 x 333.4 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 1333.5 MHz
    Stock frequency 3000 MHz
    Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, EM64T
    L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache (per processor) 6144 KBytes, 24-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory
    Northbridge Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. A2
    Southbridge Intel 82801IB (ICH9) rev. 02
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 2048 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 333.4 MHz (1:1)
    CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 2T

System
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Name P35-S3G
    System S/N
    Mainboard Vendor Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Mainboard Model P35-S3G
    BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
    BIOS Version F4
    BIOS Date 07/10/2008

Memory SPD
    Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
    Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair

Software
    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
    DirectX Version 9.0c

Red face Re: Hi LSD, Help Req PC Configuration

Hiya Dude,

Just printed off your instructions and went into bios where you put
    "CAS Latency Time________________ 5 << Should be able to use 444-12 here or better"
    I only have the option to choose 1-5

"Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [0] << Always Auto" AUTO ON.

"DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [normal] << Set to +0.2-0.3 (2.0-2.1V)"
    According to Gigabytes Easy Tune my memory voltage is already 2.1 but the over voltage is set to normal!!

I thought I would leave all these setting alone till you had a chance to read this and check the memory out (previous post). Should I change the ram would this all change again ?

I have however disabled EIST and C1E. for the moment

[quote="CAS Latency Time________________ 5 << Should be able to use 444-12 here or better"[/quote]

Well i`ll be if I dint have a rather large brain fart when I read that the first time around. 4-4-4-12 DOH DOH DOH DOH.....

I`ve been looking at memory man I i`m changing it. I don't know what would be the best one for me. I have posted on this before and i`m still baffled. LoL

I understand the differences and that 6400 c4 has lower latency but 8500 has more band-with. I just want my PC to be as quick and glitch free as it can with maybe the option to tweak another year.

Whats your thoughts on all of this?

I haven't changed any setting till ram is decided :o)

Russ

Well, I said that anyway without knowing your ram. You may not be able to use 444-12, as your ram is 555-15 ram at 1.8V. You may get away with it at higher voltages but I dunno. That ram is more for use in a non overclock OEM Type system

Ya, I would get ya some new ram for sure

You should only set your Ram voltage to Auto or +.1 for 1.9V as it is only rated for 1.8V so 2.0-2.1 may be to much. I made those suggestions without knowing what your ram was as most users have 800Mhz or better ram that will take it

Ya, it is a tough decision, faster speed or tighter timings. What you can tell yourself is that if you buy good enough of either they will do what they other will do so you could run both ways anytime. Meaning that Good 6400 C4 ram will run 1066 at C5, and good 8500 ram will run 800 at C4 and of course various places in between

What you should look at really to decide is what do you plan to run your CPU at, and what do you think that would put your memory multiplier options at as far as using.

Either speed would be a good buy, just dont go cheap or get high CAS5 6400 as it is usually not so great

Greetz LSD,

Many thanks for your time here, The memory that is in now is what the people who built it put in (go-figure). Anyway i`ve come to the conclusion that this is the cause in the disappointing performance. Its taken me ages to get my head round all the numbers. Timings, Volts, Cache, MHz and then theres the Benchmarks, ARGHGHGHG BRAIN OVERLOAD! Ha ha ha ha, Well I`ve ordered my memory upgrade after hours of more numbers. I`ve chosen
    [URL="http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel"]. I have checked with the memory list on the Gigabyte site for my motherboard and these are listed. They should be with me tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Strange thing though with this memory i have in now it defaults to 2.1 volts. I can change it to 1.8 or even 1.9 using the tune app that is on my GB support disk save it and everything for the remainder of the session it remains at what i set it too but upon re-start its back at 2.1. This memory really is bad because when i drop the voltage to its standard games and alike are really bad. So tell me dude what do you think to the choice will it do, any suggestions for when i put it in?

Cheers Russ

They used the cheapest ram they could find then is likely what happened, or you choose that as a cheaper build when you bought it? Not sure, but that is also a cheaper board as well.

Your ram voltage get's reset because you should not be using that to overclock or set voltages with, only for testing. Your ram voltage should be set in the BIOS to what you want it to be

That ram you bought should be good for you for sure

Link me to where you bought the ram and I will give you some settings to use when you get it

hiya dude,

I had a budget for the build and they built for that although i suspect it could have been better as it wasn't a small budget anyway no matter its done.

the memory has arrived and is in the PC, I`m sure the timings are wrong although i don't know they are 5-5-7-24 CR 2T. thats according to cpuid i thinks it right though because thats what it says in the bios. All my settings are on auto in there apart from the performance enhance to extreme and rgb too full everything else is as it was excl ecip thing's and its counterpart.

look forward to your reply dude one again many thanks for you help here

Russ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information