Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-M61SME-S2 HPA makes dynamic disk invalid

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-M61SME-S2 HPA makes dynamic disk invalid

Ya, I think there is due to I left space outside the Array and flashed several times, and then did the same with only my Storage drive and then there was extra "Unallocated" space that was used that was not before.

They say it wont work with RAID Setup, but I am sure it does as long as you leave some space outside of the array, as I said I did it purposely and soon after recovered my BIOS from the Drive and have since a time or two as well. Only once has it recovered from my backup chip since I (Assume) made it place backups into the drives.

I would have to look at my Array outside of windows to be sure which disk the one out of those three it is on, but I did it when I only had two in the array instead of three so I assume it would not be hard to find which.

See ya tonight gotta jet.

Hope your help here helps this user as you seem to know more about this issue then I do!

I could understand "Virtual Dual Bios" not working with a Raid Setup and disabled if one is detected - however I've not seen anything from Gigabyte to say as such (you would have thought they would have an asterix somewhere with a foot note saying this feature not available in raid mode etc, if that were the case)

In your setup if that is the case the bios hasn't moved the HPA to the next non-raid drive. So either it completely aborts the feature when Raid is detected, or it still uses part of the array.

Trouble is, many of the good low level bootable utilities, don't work correctly under AHCI and most likely Raid too. Plus even if you did temporarily select IDE mode, so all drives were detected, it would negate the scenario you wanted to check - an HPA would be created as the drive would now be in a standard config.

Seagate are actively updating their windows Diagnostic/Tools (Not to be confused with the Acronis driven Seagate DiscWizard software).

Their Seatools for windows is right upto date and will support most drives (not just seagate) and USB devices too.

What I like about this utility, is that along with generic short and long tests it can invoke the drives short and long self tests even if the drives aren't Seagate.

On the Information Tab, it does give the user sector count on both my AHCI mode drives. I wonder if it will report the same information for your Raid Drives. If it will, then if the HPA is present on One and all your drives are of the same capacity (which I suspect they are) then the drive with the HPA should have a reduced sector Count.

Try with this LSDme.... Seatools for Windows
    Seagate Technology - SeaTools

Another Program that doesn't suffer from AHCI type restrictions is PcWizard, where it will display a lot of info about the drives. Not sure about Raid limitations though.
    Some Programs (mainly older) won't show things like SMART data on the primary drive on an AHCI enabled system.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-04-2009 at 01:04 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Ya, that is for sure a note Made by Gigabyte, it has been for a while but it concerns the use of another program that does the Backup of the BIOS.

The Dual BIOS feature works from the chips with RAID, it is just not supposed to backup a additional one into the Drives/HPA in RAID or AHCI is all. As it is Actually "Supposed" to be part of Express Recovery, but that does not need to be installed. So that is where I get the RAID/AHCI limitation about it. But it seems that is not so much a factor, but I cannot be sure as I specifically made areas on my Array that was outside of the array so I cannot be sure

I have that installed for a while, it does not work (Fails then crashes) with RAID and my NON RAID member drive as well. This is just the drive information test. >>>

Non Member drive just fails to run, but does not crash >>>

Have you used Microscope before? I just wonder how it fairs at showing this type of info, Ill have to dig it up as I have not used it for a while

Probably some great tools on Hirens that would show it as well, Ill have to Email him and get a updated ICH10R driver before I can check

Is this with the latest version V1.1.1.0 Lsdme? It does get updated regularly.

The odd thing is too, that even your Seagate Single drive is identified as Seagate (hence the Gold Icon) and yet it fails to initialise the test.

I've found all the Recent (last year or so) Seagate Versions of this tool have worked with AHCI and my WDC drives, although some of the advanced tests are unavailable and for Seagate drives only.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

No, that is 1.1.0.21

it may fail just because it is controlled by the RAID or maybe it just fails for both cause I need to update it? Maybe the version I have is not update enough for ICH10R? Ill grab the new one and see then edit this post

*EDIT*

Same errors with the new one, so it must not be able to read RAID Disks, or even NON RAID Disks controlled by the RAID BIOS. It will test them, just will not provide drive information
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information