Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-X48-DS4 System Voltage Optimization?

Default Re: GA-X48-DS4 System Voltage Optimization?

As I've mentioned in other threads I do think the new X3 Terran Conflict Rolling Demo (Benchmark), is ideal for stressing the hardware whilst in windows.

It has a high polygon GPU test which warms up the Northbridge (which can affect DDR stability) and simultaneously stresses the CPU.
    Plus it's good to look at!

Demo Runs for around 5 mins....

EGOSOFT Downloads X: Terran Conflict Demos
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hello again. System runs well no glitches as such, passed a 12 hour LAN session, hosting half of the time COD4 and COD5. Though I am a little concerned on the memory type perhaps being wrong. I did as you said Lsd and posted on the OCZ forum about it, but am yet to receive a reply.

Your screenshot must be for a later BIOS version as EIST selection is not on mine. I am still a little reluctant on flashing as the build appears stable. I will flash, if it is the cause of the memory being read incorrectly. If I do should I use the latest BIOS update for the board?

Added the screenies you were chasing Lsd...sorry about putting so many up before....Also whether it makes any difference or not I have 4 x 1GiG sticks running, but only posted 2 images as all 4 are exactly the same anyway.....Thanks again.

Hey Vorlon, I downloaded and ran the demo you linked in your post, no problems at all, nice and smooth including the Docking Bay part (Eye-Candy). CPU runs between 40-47 degrees as well, so happy camper here.

Hey Vorlon, I downloaded and ran the demo you linked in your post, no problems at all, nice and smooth including the Docking Bay part (Eye-Candy). CPU runs between 40-47 degrees as well, so happy camper here.
    It's quite a good test :-) , as it stresses (not overly) the subsystems simultaneously and there is some excellent eye candy there too.

I haven't read all this post properly, but how does CPUz read your ram?

V1.49
    CPUID

Edit:-

Just seen you have tried version 1.49. I use OCZ memory too and remember reading that some (very few I believe) had the wrong SPD data programmed. They have a software tool for putting that right.

I'll send you the email of the OCZ guy (through the PM system on here) who should be able to give you some info on this.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-04-2009 at 08:28 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well programming the SPD with the correct information wont fix the issue here. Sure it would cover up him seeing he got the wrong ram, but looks to me to be PC29400 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well programming the SPD with the correct information wont fix the issue here. Sure it would cover up him seeing he got the wrong ram, but looks to me to be PC29400 for sure
    Sure, but I was just pointing out that some modules (according to the OCZ forums) had been incorrectly programmed and/or the differences shown between CPUz and Memset, might be because of the inclusion of the EPP Profile Ocz use on these modules SPD info (effectively making Cpuz read from the less desirable column).

It seems too that OCZ have Profiles spaced out that might not actually stop on the Speed the Memory is Advertised at.

For Instance this Ram is advertised at 1200Mhz which = PC2-9600
    2x2gb version:- OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-9600 Reaper HPC Edition
    Yet it's EPP profile shows 588Mhz which as you pointed out = 1176Mhz = (PC2- 9400) which could indicate it's their PC2-9200 ram
    2x1gb version:- OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC Edition

But seeing as Cpuz does report the Product as OCZ2RPR12001G and knowing that OCZ profiles don't* necessarily match the advertised top speed (ie 1200Mhz), then I'd say they were perfectly ok and as they should be

It's just a case of too many profiles spoiling the broth

* My DDR3 Reaper profiles don't match the rated (advertised) speed at all.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-06-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Not good business practice I think. But whatever you accept from your favorite brand I suppose, all up to the user

I know if my Mushkin Ram was programmed like that I would be RMA'n it and they would be telling me to do so. Not telling me it was a normal occurrence. Nor would their QC let such a thing become a accepted normal as it sounds as if OCZ has for some reason

But as well all know, ram choice is all up to the end user. If it works as advertised for what you paid then it should be good provided you accept that it may be programmed wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Not good business practice I think. But whatever you accept from your favorite brand I suppose, all up to the user

I know if my Mushkin Ram was programmed like that I would be RMA'n it and they would be telling me to do so. Not telling me it was a normal occurrence. Nor would their QC let such a thing become a accepted normal as it sounds as if OCZ has for some reason

But as well all know, ram choice is all up to the end user. If it works as advertised for what you paid then it should be good provided you accept that it may be programmed wrong
    I probably didn't make my example that clear.

What OCZ seem to do that is shown by this poster and what I've seen is say for instance have a few or more SPD profiles (and EPP), that "Sit" along the whole memories range or even overclocked range.
    Now traditionally the SPD Profiles we see on most RAM is the Usual Defaults such as, 533, 667, 800, 1066, 1333Mhz and so on, as they do too on OCZ.
    It seems things change when we get into the non standard area of Ram frequencies, ie the non Jedec higher frequency area, where OCZ with standard SPD profiling or through EPP profiles do their best to give customers information (where others don't)

My OCZ DDR3 Reaper the SPD is shown as:-

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...666_reaper_hpc
    ..............533(1066)..622(1244)..711(1422) Mhz
    Cas.........6..............7..............8
    Ras.........6..............7..............8
    Ras Pre....6..............7..............8
    tRAS......20.............24............27
    tRC........27.............32............36

As you can see 1333Mhz isn't shown as a default SPD profile, which the ram is advertised at.
    Clearly OCZ in this case don't use the standard landmark frequencies in their SPD programming. This doesn't mean though that the highest frequency profile shown is the ceiling for the Ram to operate at.

What I think they've done is picked profiles at points when the sub timings need to change, which when you think about it is a better idea.
    It's not good having some no name memory, from the No name memory company that has advertised it's 1066Mhz at 1066DDR2 @ 4-4-4-12 and with tight advanced timings too, IF that when the user (or the board) sets the Ram to say a 1% OC, ie 1077Mhz, that the Ram immediately "Falls Over" as it absolutely can only be run at 5-5-5-18 at those speeds.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-07-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information