Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48-DS4 System Voltage Optimization?

Default GA-X48-DS4 System Voltage Optimization?

Hello, Just finished building a new system and need to change some values in the BIOS to get all hardware running up to specification. That being said I decided I would OC the CPU aiming for around 3.8Ghz. I am not a regular OC and usually stay away from it...So I need help any is appreciated.

System Specs: E8500 CPU, 4*1GB Ocz 9600 Reaper Ram (1200MHz, CL 5-5-5-18), GA-X48-DS4, 9800GTX+. I am currently using original BIOS out of the box (F1) and would like to keep it as I dont seem to be having any troubles to warrant flashing it.

Here is my tweaking so far, but am not sure to save as I have the flashing red Voltage NOT Optimized warning going...Please Help...

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [475]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00B]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 [5]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 7 [5]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______7 [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 24 [18]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4 [4]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4 [8]
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8 [10]
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 56 [60]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4 [4]
    Static tRead Value_______________6 [8]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD)_______2 [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]
    *****System Voltage NOT Optimized*****
    System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.30]

Default Re: GA-X48-DS4 System Voltage Optimization?

Okay currently running memtest, but I dont think the memory is running at what it should. Also when I check the memory in windows with the diagnostic tool recommended here, its telling me the memory is PC2-9400 when its actually PC2-9600. I believe during another test of numbers it told me it was PC2-9500??? How this works is beyond me? Still looking for help please.

Currently testing this profile:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [400]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66D]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 667____1066

CAS Latency Time________________ 5 [6]
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5 [6]
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5 [6]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15 [18]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3 [5]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 [12]
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5 [14]
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 36 [65]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3 [6]
    Static tRead Value_______________8 [12]

*****System Voltage NOT Optimized***** Still there!
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control__ [+0.225V]
    Loadline Calibration________[Auto]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3000V]

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That warning is fine, it is just put there to remind those who do not know what they are doing to be careful.

Here is what sets your ram voltage and the only thing you really need to worry about when checking your ram is running at 1200 (Which it is not in the above settings) >>
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) 667____1066

As for memory diagnostics, not sure what OS you are using so I cannot comment on why you see what you see. Please do check in the SPD tab of CPU-z that you do indeed have both chips programmed to 9600. The SPD Tab shows the default programmed timings/settings not what is in use, just so you know

Here is what ranges I would advise for 3.8

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [425]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66D] = 1130, if you want to get at 1200 exact you will need to use a different CPU multi above such as 8.5x450 FSB and 2.66 here for 1197Mhz

Memory Frequency (Mhz) See above notes 1130

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6/9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6/11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-65
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-5
    Static tRead Value_______________7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [Auto] << always Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V (Check in PC Health and be sure you see close to this amount, if not adjust accordingly)

FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << may need a bit more .15-.2
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3000V] << May need more, may need less. All depends on your board Vdrop/Vdroop and your CPU

Hello Lsd, thanks for that.

I am running XP pro SP3 32bit, which is okay I think for those programs. I put both Memset 3.6 and Cpu-Z and had a look at SPD data on both programs. They both differed from each other?

Memset says my memory is PC2-9400 (588Mhz), while Cpu-Z says they are PC2-5300 (388Mhz). Is there are figures I should be looking at? Sorry... I'm sure the answer is right in front of me...I haven't really done much of this before.

I used your most of your new figures and changed the settings in BIOS. Looks like this now:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5] Not showing in CPU-Z says its 8 only with 3.6Ghz when its actually 3.82Ghz by the numbers in BIOS.? 8.5*450=3.82
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    Memory Frequency(Mhz)__667______1200

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5-14 (?)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 36-60 (?)
    Static tRead Value_______________8-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 [Auto] << always Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V (Check in PC Health and be sure you see close to this amount, if not adjust accordingly)

FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.15] << may need a bit more .15-.2
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3000V] << May need more, may need less. All depends on your board Vdrop/Vdroop and your CPU. Okay will check into this if its the main problem.

Throwing it on test now...Puzzled on the differing figures Manufacter and part numbers are same in both...

Please post me some images. And while we are speaking memset, here use this new beta and post a image of the SPD tab from it >>>
    http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet40beta4.zip

Have you loaded optimized defaults? Is your CPU a E0 stepping one? If so you may have to flash to F2 for it to be fully supported

Ya, please do post me a image of the Memset SPD for both sticks. You may have got sent a incorrect stick and will need to RMA the set. Or it may just all be caused by your BIOS does not support your CPU

Let me know all that, if you are unsure about your CPU stepping please post me a screenshot of CPU-z Main tab

Wow lol...I loaded optomised defaults and saved the setting back in BIOS and computer crapped itself. Cleared CMOS and reloaded settings without optomised defaults and its all good again, well back to where I was last post anyway, except.....CPU-z reading are now way off on cpu??? Check the pictures.

Also I have 4 one Gig memory sticks, not 2 two gig sticks. Here are the screenies I took before having to clear BIOS and some afterwards on the cpu....

And now the new CPU-Z image after reseting everything the same after optization and having to clear CMOS....Settings are exactly the same as before CMOS clearing to by the way 8.5*450=3.82Ghz

This is Memtest 3.6 with the differing Ram Types...

What do you think of all that? Also should I update my BIOS version? If so should I go for the F3a you guys have for the m/board in your sticky...or should I try and find the F2 version? Which is more stable in your opinion?
    Last edited by Jonzz; 01-01-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Flashing BIOS Question

Okay decided not to Flash BIOS for now regarding CPU, I got a few answers to my problems off the CPU-Z site

'Q1: CPU-Z reports my CPU running below its clock specification or the clock speed is varying.
    A: This is the effect of the CPU power reduction mechanism : C1E (Enhanced Halt State) and/or EIST (Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology) for Intel CPUs, Cool'n'Quiet and or PowerNow! for AMD CPUs. Load your system and you will see the frequency increase to its nominal value.'
    So I put load on the system and up she goes to 3.8 and a second method also showed the right specs; 'The F9 key switches between CPU clock computation methods.'

Also found a little more info on the memory which I believe is applicable to me, but not sure how to address it.

"Q4: Why does CPU-Z misreport my memory module specification ? For example, my DDR2-800 is reported as DDR2-667.
    A: The memory theorical bandwidth is computed using the module access time information for the maximal CAS# latency value, included in the SPD area. If the computed bandwidth is lower than the one specified on the memory module, that means that the SPD information on the module is not correctly programmed, or most likely that the bandwidth is not given at the default memory voltage, but at a voltage defined in an extended profile (EPP or XMP).v'

OCZ tend to program the SPD (data) on some of their high end modules (or those targeted at Nvidia Systems) with several different profiles. The EPP profile is more inline as to what the advertised spec is of the memory.

I wouldn't get concerned as to how Memset might read the DDR/2/3 speed as opposed to CPUz.
    Some programs use the same Code to interpret the data (such as OCCT and Cpuz) and others do it by their own means, which often means they report differently. It varies build to build too, as often they are all accurate and other times they are all very different.

Cpuz is good, so is PCWizard (all by CPUID). I have noted too that Memset gets confused with some frequencies (realtime) and/or even shows some or only one of the SPD profiles, when you know there are more.

Edit:-

You should really turn off EIST and C1E (in the bios) if overclocking, otherwise you are likely to suffer from stability issues.

Also you still should get Windows saving features as Vanilla C1 (no suffix) should be OS invoked and can be monitored through Windows Performance Monitor.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-01-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Thanks VorLon and Lsd
    I turned off C1E, as for EIST unable to find it to disable...system seems okay at the moment...Ran memtest for 3 hours with no errors...going to load up some system hungry games and see how she blows there for now...

Below settings are what I currently have running...I put a question mark on a few of these and inked them red as I dont seem to be able to get the setting to suit the profile you showed me Lsd. My current settings are all in black.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Fast]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    Memory Frequency(Mhz)__667______1200

Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15

Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 5-6 4-6?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 36-65 52-65?
    Static tRead Value_______________7-10

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.15V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3000V] All depends on your board Vdrop/Vdroop and your CPU. Not sure how to check?

Thanks for the help. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Those both look to be 1200 (1176 to be exact) you posted so many images, with different apps I am lost though. Please just post two images of the Memset Beta SPD one for each stick in question. That is it.

But yes, either way, they all look to be wrong to me (PC29400), and the one I would believe to be correct and that would make me RMA (And if you show them image of at their forums) they will have you RMA is the SPD Tab of any of those apps that shows 588Mhz (9400) instead of 600Mhz (9600). You did not pay for 9400 ram, yet that IS what you have.

C1E and EIST are on the SAME Page >>>

As for your memory settings/questions? I am not sure what you mean or what you are using? I gave you ranges to use, and you can only put in one digit at a time, so I dont know what you mean you are using by posting me back a range, and I dont know what you mean by your red Question marks in the memory settings. You have to post me the exact settings you are using and your issues you may or may not have, posting me back some ranges does not help me help you?

To check your boards vdrop use CPU-z. Make note of what you set in the BIOS and then look in CPU-z at what you get at Idle, then check Vdroop by looking in CPU-z at what you get for Load voltage

And finally, yes I would update your BIOS and again Load optimized, only this time do it with one stick of ram in. Then make your Changes and save/apply/reboot and then shut down and put in your other stick. It likely fails to load optimized and reboot with both as Auto may be using incorrect settings so it fails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information