Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EP45-UD3R overclock help

Default Re: EP45-UD3R overclock help

shabburr-

That is exactly what is happening with me and my 3.2ghz overclock! Hopefully we can figure it out as I would also like to be able to have my computer go into hibernation as I think it is a nice feature. I'm also wondering if I should stop trying to get 3.6ghz so much as my 3.2ghz is seemingly, except for the hibernation thing, stable. I was wondering last night if my old Antec Truepower 430watt psu was perhaps not good enough for the overclock but not sure that is really the case.

It's just a shame I can undervolt my processor and get 3.2ghz but I have to jam it to get 3.6ghz. Those are the breaks I guess.

But back to what you mentioned, I read on another thread that disabling USB Legacy support in bios helps. I'm going to try that out and see if that helps out anything.

Tellerve

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sounds like your 3.2 overclock is not as stable as you think it is then if your 3.0 overclock works for S3 but 3.2 does not. How long and with what have you tested it?

Yeap, legacy USB Storage Detect can fix many random errors that is why it is set to disabled in all the templates you see me post

Actually I never really tried a 3.0ghz setting as 3.2ghz came out of the box so easily at first, I just set there and tried higher ones.

I might try that, but also I've since having a 3.2ghz overclock that could run 10 intel burntest cycles, tweaked it with memory timings you've mentioned and voltages for pll and termination that I read needed to be set manually. I also switched out my ram to one stick and tried to see if that would fix my hibernation problems. It didn't, though, but perhaps even though the ram is seated as perfectly as I can tell it isn't. Ahhh computers.

Tellerve

You should get stock stable, before any overclocking is done.

Ram not seated right? What do you mean?

You may need to adjust your MCH Ref to get it stable, just so many things it could be really. Try .68% - .73%, as for how this is possible you will need to take in this knowledge >>>

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

If you want a higher or lower than stock % / Value for any of the above settings you will find it easier to set the Dram Voltage or Vtt back to stock (Or above or below to find and be able to choose alternate % Values), then adjust desired setting to the % / Value you wish to use.

Then once you have selected a % range you want to use for said setting then go back and raise your Vtt or Dram Voltage back to what you choose to use and the corresponding settings will self adjust

The 3.2ghz can run intel burntest for 10 iterations. That is stable enough for me in terms of workload on the cpu. The hibernation issue isn't an overclocking issue, but something else. On Asus's site for my 3450 they have a bios saying it fixes the s3 in vista, which would be what I am having problems with, however, I download that file, several times, and it never works when I try and execute it.

The ram thing was me more just speculating, but it is properly seated.

I'm a tad confused though about the .68% and such, which I assume you really mean 68% and not really .68% as that would be essentially no voltage at all.

I don't have a CPU Reference Voltage 2 in my bios, just the single CPU Reference voltage.

Tellerve

You download a Asus BIOS file? Are you using a Gigabyte board?

I really mean setting .68 in the BIOS, which is .68% of Vtt at stock

Ya, some BIOS's/Boards do not let you set both, Ref 2 would be locked then for you at .67% of Vtt

yes, an Asus Bios file for my video card, an Asus eah 3450. However, it doesn't want to work, but the website says it fixes the s3/sleep in vista. I have to call/write Asus and figure out what is going on with that file.

The .68% is throwing me because that means less than 1%, so if my VTT was 1.35, .68% would be less than .0135v. Which is why I assumed you really meant 68%, or .68 of vtt. Just not both together. As to more of the confusion, it was whether or not I should always increase those as vtt increases or only if I feel stability is an issue. It seems from what you wrote that AUTO would take care of the adjustments for me, but perhaps they don't give it enough juice at the higher clocks?

Tellerve

Ahh, for that you need to boot from a floppy to flash your GFX Card BIOS. You should ask them or google it as I cannot advise you about that myself.

Yes it is a % of Vtt .68% for example but your math is wrong (Well I guess I worded it wrong I mean). So ya, you had that right I guess I just worded it wrong. 68%, I just write .68 as I know that is how it is calculated. Sorry for the confusion!

For your example 1.35 VTT x .68 = .918V

It is not a voltage, so more or less is not increasing a voltage really. It is a reference or voltage stopping point. Auto will increase it or decrease it keeping it at .xx% as you change Vtt, unless you alter that value it will always be the stock .76% (For MCH Ref)

And if you do change it, you need to do so when Vtt is at stock, then raise Vtt back to what you wanted to use.

Here is some in depth reading about Ref Voltages and what they do, this is about CPU's but it will teach you about the idea of it >>>
    Adjusting A/GTL+ Levels for Increased FSB Signaling Margins and Overclocking - The Tech Repository Forums

And >>
    Understanding GTL Reference Voltage

CPU And Northbridge GTL Default Settings

Not sure why, but that site asks for login now, so I had to link you via Google cache. Here is the site main page incase it is working normally for you when you go there >>>
    Edge Of Stability

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information