Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3R overclock help

Default EP45-UD3R overclock help

Hey guys, i recently put together my first built, and have started to overclock my system. Have a Q6600 and G.skill 4gigs (2x2) 800mhz ram. [Link below]. Arctic freezer 7 pro. run 36 idle. 55 full load. Stable at current overclock at 3.0 Ghz with Prime95 after 8 hours.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

For some reason i cant be stable with 3.2. PC will post at 3.2, everything will run fine, but one core will encounter an error in prime95 within a few seconds. Ill probably bother you guys the next few days until i can get to at least 3.2ghz maybe even 3.4 if im lucky =D. Just need some help figuring out what im doing wrong. Thanks guys.

Bios settings below:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8X
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.00GHz (375x7)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 375
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 750
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Auto]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type
    CPU
    Load line Callibration.....................[disabled]
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.2500v....[1.2500v]
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200v.....[Auto]
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500v.....[1.500v]
    CPU Reference.………….0.760v.....[Auto]

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100v...[Auto]
    MCH Reference….…….0.760v...[Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900v...[Auto]
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500v...[Auto]
    ICH Core…………...……1.100v...[Auto]

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage …….....1.800v......[1.800v]
    DRAM Termination .….0.900v...[Auto]
    Channel A Reference..0.900v...[Auto]
    Channel B Reference..0.900v...[Auto]

Default Re: EP45-UD3R overclock help

shabburrr-

Happy New Year first of all. Secondly, I have a very similar system I just recently purchased, q6600, same motherboard, same cooler, 800mhz ram (although Viper), so I may be able to help you out.

I have mine running at 400x8, 3.2ghz and it can run multiple iterations of Intel Burntest fine, getting to 58C at its highest per core. However, I noticed that the main difference in my settings was my vcore is at 1.3125 I believe. My cpu read on the actual box I got 1.35, but I apparently don't need that high. CPU-Z shows it as 1.28-1.296 while running the test.

Also, and maybe more importantly I had to up my vdimm voltage to 1.9 to stop from getting errors. Although I have it higher now as I'm settling it into the right settings. I would up your vcore and vdimm and try again.

cheers,

Tellerve

Thanks for the suggestion tellerve but i got the same response, an error within the first few seconds. One thing though Tellerve, you said you have a system very similar to mine, ie: Same motherboard, cpu, cooler, etc. Isnt it just kickass?! =D. Im seriously loving my system.

I started upping the vcore notch by notch. Went up to 1.27500v and now it took about 30-45 seconds for prime95 to get an error. Should i just keep upping the vcore, my temps have gone from 36 degrees idle to 40 degrees idle. If my system is doing 3 ghz (375 x 8) with vcore at 1.2500v stable for 8 hours with prime95, do i really need to up the vcore more than just a few notches?....I was under the impression that you increase vcore really slowly, but hey im still learning. So if im wrong, please correct me. Once again, thanks guys.

Well, yeah, I think normally you try and be scientific and go up slowly, but you could jump a bit and try and work down as opposed to up. Either way really I guess, and also try not to change more than one thing at a time as that introduces more variables.

Yeah, I do really like this board, although I had a heck of a time getting it to install onto raided hard drives. I finally had to slipstream the raid drivers as they just wouldn't work for me for some odd reason.

Beyond that I'm enjoying it, as I have managed to make a really silent pc with some power. Although I am still in testing/tweaking and haven't really showed off the power.

I tried to get 3.6ghz earlier tonight and while running prime it bsod and screwed up the raid array so I had to re-install. Lovely! Now I'm back at the mild 3.2ghz which went through 10 iterations of Intel Burntest so I'm pretty confident in it.

Tellerve

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Try this Shabburrr for 3.2 >>>

Please do load optimized defaults if you have not before. Then set your ram voltage ONLY and save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will have to set your SATA/Disk settings again before you try to load windows. Then reboot back to the BIOS again to make your overclock changes

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.208

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 401Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B or 2.00D
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 802Mhz
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................3-4
    tWTR..........................................3-6
    tWR............................................4-6
    tRFC...........................................52-62
    tRTP...........................................3-5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................800-1066 (Test both last)

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    Load line Callibration.....................[disabled] << Enabled or More Vcore, what you set is not what you get in windows.

CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: See above, you may need 1.35-1.4 Actual depending on your CPU for 3.2, likely not so high but very likely more then 1.25 for sure

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< 1.2-1.4
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.5-1.6

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.2-1.3 (1.22-1.26 likely good)
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.5-1.6
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.1x-1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.9V
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Why the 401mhz instead of 400? Is there some secret voodoo magic to that :)

Tellerve

There must be some secret voodoo magic with the settings lsdmeasap gave me. =D. I followed pretty much all of his setting suggestions except for the static tread values and driving strength, because i've never read up on that and what it does and for my vcore, I went slowly up and so far its at 1.2825v. So far no errors with prime95 for 3 hours so far, I'll leave it on for another 4 or 5 hours and then declare it stable.

As for my bios, i have no extreme memory profile (X.M.P) option....so i dont know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

My temps are 40 idle, 60-62 full load. I read on a random forum somewhere that coretemp overcalculates temperatures for Q6600 by 5 degrees because the Tjmax for Q6600 is 95 not 100. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is that means im 35 idle. and 55-57 full load. Im going with the higher temps for now to be on the safe side.

Once again, thanks lsdmeasap. =D. Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?

You can change the Tjmax in the settings on coretemp

Quote Originally Posted by shabburrr View Post
    Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?
    Yes it makes a large difference, its best to run prime on the low setting also to make sure that is stable, then you should be fine.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tellerve View Post
    Why the 401mhz instead of 400? Is there some secret voodoo magic to that :)

Tellerve

Yeap, all VooDoo!

Na, just because 400 is right on the strap line and Could cause instabilities without the user even thinking that is the cause which could end up making you spend hours trying to much voltage or too loose of timings for no reasons. Best I think to always use 399 or 401

But yes, you can use 400 exact if you wish

Quote Originally Posted by shabburrr View Post
    As for my bios, i have no extreme memory profile (X.M.P) option....so i dont know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

My temps are 40 idle, 60-62 full load. I read on a random forum somewhere that coretemp overcalculates temperatures for Q6600 by 5 degrees because the Tjmax for Q6600 is 95 not 100. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is that means im 35 idle. and 55-57 full load. Im going with the higher temps for now to be on the safe side.

Once again, thanks lsdmeasap. =D. Oh, i was wondering, out of curiousity, should i enable c1e and cpu eist function after my system becomes stable to save power or is the difference so miniscule that it doesn't matter?

XMP is Memory specific, since you do not see it all that means is your Memory was not programmed with those settings. Nothing to worry about

TjMax for Q6600 is 90C >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/q660...g-tjmax-28997/

But in Reality the setting does not matter, only cosmetically for what you see as "Said Temp".

See this as to how that is. What temp you really have to actually worry about is Distance to TjMax >>>

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 90
    Core Temp Reading = 50
    Delta to TJ Max = 40

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 95
    Core Temp Reading = 55
    Delta to TJ max = 40

(*Assumed*) TJ Max = 100
    Core Temp Reading = 60
    Delta to TJ Max = 40

See this page for a image of this in action, calibrated vs non calibrated showing same Distance to TjMax >>>

XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - E8400 Real Temp Calibration

About EIST and C1E, you can try but it may fail on you. When overclocked voltages and freq are very dependent on what you tweaked/tested/tweaked them to be finally stable at and once you enable those features your settings will affect how the system acts at idle and may be unstable at idle or when jumping back and forth between idle and load.

The temp reading that is the most important then would be the distance to Tjmax, which in this case would remain constant. I guess the reason i was asking because i personally didnt want to get to close to Intel's coretemp suggestion of 71 degrees. I have run into one problem with my overclock. Its stable but i cannot put the computer to sleep (Vista Style) which is basically i guess described as hybernate on previous OS's, where all the fans turn off and basically it seems as if the entire PC is off but at the press of a button it jumps back to life and everything resumes.

It will go to sleep but if i press the on button to bring it back from its hybernation state it will turn on for a second or two and then keep restarting but nothing will appear on screen (Kinda like when you overclock incorrectly and it continually boots). I have to eventually hold down the power button and turn it off and then turn it back on.

I dont know why it is doing this. At the 3.0 Overclock i had, it would go to hybernate and back on perfectly fine, but at 3.2 it just refuses to come back. For now i disabled the automatic Vista option of putting the computer to hybernation after an hour of inactivity, but i was hoping that there was maybe a way to fix this, seeing as my computer is IDLE most of the time anyway and it would be nice to let it relax. BTW i did try doing this C1E and CIEST disabled because of how lsdmeasap mentioned that sometimes C1E and CIEST can provide instablity to a system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information