Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-X48T-DQ6 (only one memory slot)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X48T-DQ6 (only one memory slot)

Ohh, I did not mean for you to think I felt as if you were blaming me or anything either! I was just trying to assure you that I would not advise anything out of the scope of "Safe" without saying that in the post. Like if you knew and asked about some massive overclock or something.

So, I did not take it wrong at all, just wanted to assure you that I did not think that any settings really caused your ram to die.

Ahh, so what voltage did you try anyway? Normally 2.2 is ok even for most any DDR2, for a limited time without a fan, but it all just depends on the ram speed and how long/hard you push it. As for DDR3 1.8-1.9 would be the most I would suggest only if warrantied by the Manufacturer, but most all DDR3 would be safe at 1.8-1.9 even if it was 1.5V sticks, and most would be fine at 2.0 for short periods with a fan.

Well yeah, if you feel you can only run at 1066 ram speeds, then save yourself the cash for sure and buy 1066 or 1333 ram and underclock it

No, dual channel just means the ram works together as a pair on the same work at the same timings, it will add data throughput for sure but not speed.

To run 1600 Ram speed you would have to use this general Idea >>>

CPU FSB 400 X Ram Multiplier 4.00x = 1600

Or any variant thereof such as

500 FSB x 3.20 = 1600 Ram Speed

Or
    480 FSB X 3.33 = 1600 Ram speed

Many other options, but you just have to keep in mind Ram speed is
    FSB X Memory Multi = Ram Freq

Dont feel bad, best to ask and learn then not ask and guess or never know!

DDR2 and DDR3 both use the same concept so don't let it confuse you

I didn't go any higher than +0.35V
    so according to the BIOS I've been right below 1.9V (1.88V I believe).
    PCI-E has been on max +0.100V. FSB on max +0.20V, and MCH on max +0.25V. I was really afraid to heat up my CPU when I did this but, I don't think that ever happened because I never ran the CPU on full load.

I did the Everest stress test with CPU 9x333MHz, RAM 4.00Dx333MHz, DDR3 +0.30V (1.83V), FSB and MCH on +0.10V,
    and CPU core #1 hit 80 degree celsius tops after 5 min on full load. I got a bit sad, but then again I don't have any extra fans, just the CPU fan on max and my cabinet open in a room with approximately 25 degree celsius.

Ps. I've not added the Cool-thingy at the back of my motherboard. It won't fit. I have to find a way for my MB to stick an inch or so away from the cabinet in order to fit that thing on there. But I'm thinking about modifying an old CPU fan to fit on the cabinet instead, to blow cool air in, if that's even remotely possible (I'm too cheap to buy some)

--

I had slight problems once though. I optimized my BIOS settings manually, then installed a WinXP mod. I restarted and it all seemed to work just fine for a long time. But when I decided to remove the WinXP mod, and restarted - my comp wouldn't boot, as if this software had something or anything to do with my BIOS settings which is kind of redundant if you ask me...
    This was when I added CPU 7.5x400MHz / RAM 4x400MHz (timing 9-9-9-24 as specified on the RAM stick), and since the BIOS gave a red flashing warning "CPU Voltage not optimized" I put all voltages on Auto to remove the warning.
    In order to boot the computer again and enter the BIOS I had to remove the BIOS battery to reset, then add the all so "normal" optimized bios default setting again.

--

Beside that, it seems that no matter what I do, my CPU will not stay stabil on anything but 6x333MHz and 9x333MHz. It won't even stay stabil on 8x333MHz or 7.5x400MHz, it runs on half full core load constantly if I do.

To keep it stabil and as optimized as possible I'm currently running the comp on: (PC Wizard 2008 information)

This is optimized default settings, CPU 9x333MHz, RAM 1066MHz (except voltages, which I set on Auto because when it is on normal the voltages are way too low).
    When I get my 4x1GB I will probably set the multiplier on 4.00B or 4.00D and leave the rest on auto and normal. It also seems like 1GB DDR3 SDRAM runs just as much as 2GB DDR2 SDRAM for some weird reason, I'm starting to believe I've been hoaxed since the year 1999 when it comes CPU/RAM- knowledge.

Note: The Dynamic Energy Saver software won't run if you manually adjust the FSB. I'm not entirely sure what DES does...- but it keeps that little light in my cabinet on green instead of orange and red so I would like to keep DES on.
    Last edited by angelM; 01-04-2009 at 08:52 AM.

I didn't go any higher than +0.35V
    so according to the BIOS I've been right below 1.9V (1.88V I believe).
    PCI-E has been on max +0.100V. FSB on max +0.20V, and MCH on max +0.25V. I was really afraid to heat up my CPU when I did this but, I don't think that ever happened because I never ran the CPU on full load.
    All that sounds safe to me, except maybe the 1.88V on your ram as it is rated 1.8. But still that should have been ok

What is this XP "MOD" you speak of?

That warning is just to remind those who do not know what they should set that it can hurt your hardware. It is normal to see that with any change in voltage so you can safely ignore it

You will need to uninstall that DES and download the new DES advanced to allow you to overclock, it is here >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

OR.... Since you are overclocking you can, just as you should, disable EIST and C1E in the BIOS and those LED's will only be on during bootup or when you are in the BIOS

Your Vtt seems very high for no overclock, but I do not trust that software at all (As you can see it even gets 12V PSU Voltages incorrect. Can you check by setting +0.1 FSB Voltage in the BIOS and see if it goes up or down in PC Wizard? Could just be a false reading

How is your temps with CoreTemp?

I found out what made the CPU unstabil. NO Intel processor like RAM's voltage to be above 1.65V, as soon as I manually adjust the RAM to 1.8V as spesified on the RAM stick Intel's Core 2 Duo goes crazy. And that's also why Gigabyte support didn't want me to go above 1.65V, because I was using Intel, they said Intel processors didn't like RAM to be above 1.65V.
    So, since I cannot optimize my RAM with 1.8V I bought RAM that would be optimized on 1.65V (I bought the OCZ 7-7-7-20 1333mhz 1.65v).

The XP modification I was talking about was just a visual modification to the Windows shell, nothing else. So it can't have had anything to do with my computer crashing.

I didn't take note of the CPU main temp because it was spesifically lower than the core temps together, if it was higher than the core temps I would've taken note of it. I can't check it now since I put the PentiumD and DDR2 RAM back in untill I get the right RAM sticks, but if I remember correctly the temperatures was something like this on the Core2Duo.

[CPU 3.00GHz, DDR3 1333Mhz] 4 minutes + 0-3% Core Load = (a)47 (b)43 degree Celsius
    [CPU 3.60GHz, DDR3 1600Mhz] 4 minutes + 0-3% Core Load = (a)50 (b)46 degree Celsius
    [CPU 3.00GHz, DDR3 1333Mhz] 4 minutes + 96-100% Core Load = (a)79 (b)76 degree Celius
    [CPU 3.60GHz, DDR3 1600Mhz] 4 minutes + 96-100% Core Load = (a)80 (b)76 degree Celius

(a) being core #1, (b) being core #2
    Almost no change in temp, rather insane really.

Ps. Thank you, I downloaded the Advanced DES, saving it on my HDD that won't be formated.
    Last edited by angelM; 01-07-2009 at 08:57 PM.

That is all about x58 boards and has now been proven wrong for them as well.

You can use 1.5-2.0 on your ram if your ram will allow it, it will not affect the CPU at all

Yes, modding windows files can crash your PC, I know I mod my own as well. What were you modding?

WOW that no change between load at 3.0-3.6 is impressive

You do not need to buy different DDR3 man, at all! And if you dont believe me, you still do not need to buy different ram, just underclock and undervolt the set you have and it would be the same as buying new lesser voltage/speed ram.

I bought 6 modules of OCZ 1333MHz 7-7-7-20 1.65V and scrapped Corsairs modules. (There's three modules in each pack you buy, I think it's because it's ment for Intel1366, and beside, I wanted 4gig not 3gig that's why I bought 2x3 modules and left 2 modules on the shelf to dust).

The system is working just fine now on the new modules.

Downturns throughout all this time:
    Reinstalling a legit version of Windows over and over again is stupid because they're telling you your Windows is a fake more often than when your windows really is fake (because you installed your Windows two days ago and you are now reinstalling it so it has to be a fake installation...)
    Cost me about 10 bucks over the phone because the "green number" which is supposed to be free, is not free at all...
    I've reinstalled Windows somewhere between 5 to 10 times now.

I think this is how I set up my BIOS. System stabil, no problems. Only one thing and that's Windows registering 3GB RAM, while it registers 4GB on startup and in PC Wizard.
    Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] = 3000
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Auto]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [Auto] = 333
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]  = 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time_______________7
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________7
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______7
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 20

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________[Auto]
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ [Auto]
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ [Auto]
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ [Auto]
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ [Auto]
    Static tRead Value_______________[Auto]
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.15V] = 1.650V to 1.685
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.10V] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.10V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.10V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ Auto (In windows it says 1.10V)

Advanced Settings Page
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals Page
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled]
    When I set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults the modules ran slow because it wouldn't run on full power (the weak 1.5V). Or at least this is my conclusion..
    When I set the BIOS to Otimized Defaults then set all voltage settings on Auto, the system would not boot or even make a sound, it just turned itself off as soon as it booted. Had to remove the MB battery and reset to optimized Default and add the settings I wrote above in code quotes. I think the reason why it wouldn't boot was because I set the modules voltages on auto, the new modules was set on 1.80V+ by the BIOS and the new modules only support 1.65V.

Thank you very much for your help Lsdmeasap, I've learned a great deal and I feel a bit more safe with my own system (not safe enough to overclock it tho). All I wanted was a stabil system and that's what I got, thanks to your guidelines.

-
    Angel M

Maybe you should be mirroring your installs, then you would be ok. Like with Norton Save and Restore 2.0, or Ghost or Acronis True Image 11

Ya 1.5V defaults likely would not run them at the rated speeds

You have to use x64 windows to use 4GB+ ram, that is why you only see 3GB.

If you want some help with your timings or getting that ram to run at 1333 let me know and I will try to help ya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information