Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X48T-DQ6 (only one memory slot)

Default GA-X48T-DQ6 (only one memory slot)

System specs:
    MB: GA-X48T-DQ6 (REV 1.3)
    Version: F6A
    DMI Version: 2.4
    CPU: C2D E8400, 3GHz, 6MB, 1333MHz
    RAM: Corsair TWIN3X 1600MHz DDR3, DHX, 1GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24
    PS: Tagan Easycon 480W
    VGA: GeForce 7950 GX2 (512MBx2 GPU)
    HDD1: Maxtor 204 GB
    HDD2: Maxtor 80 GB
    DX: Version 9.0c (october 2008)

--------------

Problem 1:
    Can only boot up with one memory stick, in one of the slots (1 to 4). Prefered slot 2 (pink). As soon as a second memory stick is inserted, computer fail to boot. The error signal is a mess, continual beeping, and rebooting - have to pull power cord for it to stop.

Problem 2:
    System spec programs can only see 2GHz (1999.8MHz) CPU, overclocking spec can see but cannot not include it as standard or even working; 9x 333MHz (3GHz) initial.
    If clock frequency is set to 400MHz with a fixed Xx clock ratio it shows in system specs (3.2GHz > 3.6GHz) as standard, but only then.

--------------

Resolving problem 1 by:
    Testing both 1GB memory sticks, and both memory sticks work as long if only one stick is inserted into one of the four slots.
    Tried removing the power cord to the GPU (hehh...)

Tried to manually fix the memory configuration in M.I.T.:
    Clock ratio 7.5x, 8.0x, 8.5x, 9.0x (3.0GHz - 3.6GHz).
    Clock frequency 400MHz (in order to get 1600MHz memory speed).
    SPD: 4.00B (memory speed).
    SPD Timing: 9-9-9-24
    DDR3 Voltage: +0.15V and +0.30V
    FSB Voltage: +0.1V
    MCH Voltage: +0.200V and +0.250V and +0.300V
    Also tried to keep clock ratio and frequency at default, just using SPD 4.00B in order to get 1333MHz, did not work either.
    Nothing of it worked. Can still only use one memory stick at a time...

BIOS (the non-configurable) defaults:
    Clock ratio: 9.0x
    Clock frequency: 333MHz
    SPD: Auto (1, or (null))
    SPD Timing: 7-7-7-20
    DDR3 Voltage: 1.5V

Resolving problem 2 by:
    Same as above, but resulted in insane stability issues, Clock Load running at 35-50% capasity in stand-by (don't even want to try load up an fps based game). And heating issue 55 degree celsius while standing in stand-by (don't even want to try load up an fps based game).
    This may be caused by the fact that I only have 1GB of ram to deal with...

GPU is also for some weird reason running at 70 degree celsius.

What the ... in the name of the ... is wrong with this motherboard?

Please help me solve this issue before my guarantee runs out. I don't want to lose 400 USD.

--------------

I don't care to much about problem number 2 as I do problem number 1. Problem number 2 isn't even a problem compared to the fact that I can only have 1GB ram in my comp... Please help me solve this.

Default Re: GA-X48T-DQ6 (only one memory slot)

Ps. I tried to find this issue elsewhere, I've read every single post on this board and several others. I've also been trying to solve this for 2 whole days now by myself, without success. So yeah, I'm rather lost.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you test one known working good ram stick in each slot to be sure all slots function properly?

Did you load optimized defaults when you built the system? If not, please do so now and set your ram voltage only and then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will have to set everything again including and do not forget your SATA/Disk settings.

About your Issue #2, I think you have speedstep enabled, please disable these settings EIST, and C1E >>>

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Please post a link to your exact ram model and I can better advise you, and let me know how many you have

The spesific memory stick name / model is: TW3X2G1600C9DHX
    http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TW3X2G1600C9DHX.pdf

And I have two of them (2x1GB).

I tested Memory Stick A and Memory Stick B together, and individually, in all four slots. If 1-4 are memory slots, and A and B are the memory sticks, the combinations I've tried so far looks somewhat like this:
    1A (boot ok)
    2A (boot ok)
    3A (boot ok)
    4A (boot ok)
    1B (boot ok)
    2B (boot ok)
    3B (boot ok)
    4B (boot ok)
    1A-2B (boot/bios error, restart)
    1A-3B (boot/bios error, restart)
    1A-4B (boot/bios error, restart)
    2A-3B (boot/bios error, restart)
    2A-4B (boot/bios error, restart)

-
    When I booted up the computer for the first time with only one slot, I entered the BIOS, clicked CTRL+F1 and then loaded the optimized default settings. I did this right before I started changing the SPD, Voltage, etc.
    But what do you mean about my SATA settings, or what in the BIOS do you want me to reconfigure and how?

Thank you for your quick reply by the way.
    Last edited by angelM; 01-02-2009 at 04:23 PM.

As for the CPU issue, I do not have those settings in my BIOS. But let's not worry about this unless it can help me fix the RAM issue, that's whats important, to me though. I just thought I would let you know that I did not have it.

Well since you did your Load optimized first you are good to go. I meant (So you know next time you flash and load optimized) that after you do this all the disk/SATA Settings in advanced BIOS page and Integrated Peripherals will be set to default which may or may not be how you setup your disks. So they would need set back, nothing you need to worry about now.

Please put your ram in slots 1+3 or 2+4, try 1+3 first

Yes, those settings are in all BIOS's. They are on the advanced BIOS page, not MIT and they must be disabled or you will see speedstep lower your CPU Freq and voltage at idle. And since you are overclocking you need to find and disable them know or they will give you other issues, such as a NON BOOT as you are having now because it lower CPU Voltage and Freq, thus lowering ram settings as well

Here is stock settings per your CPU and ram, to run your ram at or close to 1600 you will have to overclock your CPU. But lets get stock going for you first!! >>>>

Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] 
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time_______________9
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________9
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______9
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 24

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-6
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 4-8
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6-12
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 65-80
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-8
    Static tRead Value_______________8-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 1.8V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]  << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]  << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] << For stability
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.xx] Auto

Advanced Settings Page
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals Page
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Lsdmeasap,

first of all, thank you for your patience. So far what I've done is follow your advice,

CPU : 2999.94 MHz
    CPU Temp : 35 degree Celsius
    Core temp #1 : 49 degree Celsius
    Core temp #2 : 48 degree Celsius
    Core Load #1 : 2%
    Core Load #2 : 1%
    GFX temp : 52 degree Celsius
    CPU stabilized!

--------------

However, but this is not your fault, this is my fault.
    RAM stick 1, is functionable.
    RAM stick 2, is defect.

There's nothing you can do, I will talk to the people who delivered me the RAM and tell me to send me new ones (since they come in packages).

But I swear to you, when I first started this 2-3 days ago, I tried both RAM sticks and they both seemed to work. Maybe I've (e.g. by taking the RAM stick in and out all the time, or given it too much Voltage) managed to defect it in my many failed attempts at running the RAM in dual channel. But this can be our little secret, since I don't want to pay for another set of memory sticks.

--------------

What I did now, last effort:
    After I used your setup (and disabled CPU Enchanced Halt, EIST and Legacy USB Detect (Yes, I found it.. I am blind.. and I appologize)), I saved it and turned my computer off, and added the second memory stick (using slot 1 and 3), and turned my computer on again. My computer rebooted quickly (this is probably when it reset some of the BIOS setup back to run-safe default or optimized default) as it always does/have done, as it loaded back up after the first quick reboot I got the error messages again and constant rebooting, like always. I turned off the computer, took the second memory stick out, went into the BIOS and all the Memory setup was set back to BIOS default, except the CPU setup it was still optimized, and I think Voltage setup was still optimized can't remember. But I left it there, and I am currently running on 1 memory stick.
    So my RAM is currently running at PC3-8500 (533 MHz), 7-7-7-20 Timings. But it's ok, because now I know what my problem is, it is most likely a faulty Memory stick, and I need to exchange it.
    I will exchange it (most likely both of them, since they come in a package), and let you know if I still have the problem or not - so people can refer to this thread in the future if they have any problems similar to that of mine.

While I'm waiting for my new memory sticks, do you think I should/could/can set the RAM to 1333MHz? So that I can at least play a game or two... 1GB ram isn't all that much these days, especially when its running on 533MHz.

Thanks again

- Angel M.

Ps. I just wanted to ask you if this piece of information is correct or not. I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere, but I've done the math with my own system instead of the system specs I read about.

CPU Host Frequency (e.g. 333 MHz) is what controls the CPU Ratio AND Memory Ratio.
    So when we're looking into the BIOS and it says 9x Ratio at the CPU it means 9 x 333MHz = 3000 MHz (which is my CPU)
    And when we're looking into the BIOS and it says 4.00B (B being 333 MHz CPU, and C should not be compitable if you're running the CPU at 333 MHz) at the Memory it means 4.00 x 333 MHz = 1333 MHz.

So if I set the Clock Rate to 9x
    I set the Clock Freqency to 400 MHz
    I will have 3.6 GHz CPU and 1600 MHz Memory

And if I set the Clock Rate to 7.5x
    I set the Clock Frequency to 400 MHz
    I will have 3.0GHz CPU and 1600 Memory

Am I correct?

And should I not change the 4.00B into 4.00D ? If D is 400 MHz CPU. (I can't remember what it said in the BIOS as of now, that's why I'm estimating D as 400MHz).

Well you could have damaged it by moving it from slot to slot, but that is pretty unlikely. And I have not advised you of anything at all that could damage it either. So what likely happened is you always had a faulty module and just did not test them fully or enough to notice until now.

Nothing above could have harmed it, timings or suggested voltages so dont feel bad about a wrong setting, or think you got bad advice or something. Just want you to know that I never would suggest a harmful voltage, and when I see users say they are using them I do advise against it almost always. So you can feel assured I did not suggest anything dangerous to your ram above for sure

But yeah, sadly it sounds like you have found after all this that you got a DOA stick, it happens and more often then you would think.

Yes you can run one stick at 1333 or more if you can get it stable

Ya, you have most of your thoughts correct, strap has you a little confused though >>>

Ram Speed >>>

CPU FSB X memory Multi = Ram speed

Straps you can use anyone you like that you can get stable. They are not FSB or CPU Dependent so much as one would think, but lower then FSB or CPU Defaults can be unstable or hard to get stable.

You can use 4.00B or 4.00D at your any FSB you are looking to run at, with D being the easier one to get stable. And some BIOS do use Symbols instead of Letters incase your is like that. Here is a Image of what Multi's are on what straps >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well you could have damaged it by moving it from slot to slot, but that is pretty unlikely. And I have not advised you of anything at all that could damage it either. So what likely happened is you always had a faulty module and just did not test them fully or enough to notice until now.

Nothing above could have harmed it, timings or suggested voltages so dont feel bad about a wrong setting, or think you got bad advice or something. Just want you to know that I never would suggest a harmful voltage, and when I see users say they are using them I do advise against it almost always. So you can feel assured I did not suggest anything dangerous to your ram above for sure

But yeah, sadly it sounds like you have found after all this that you got a DOA stick, it happens and more often then you would think.

Yes you can run one stick at 1333 or more if you can get it stable

Ya, you have most of your thoughts correct, strap has you a little confused though >>>

Ram Speed >>>

CPU FSB X memory Multi = Ram speed

Straps you can use anyone you like that you can get stable. They are not FSB or CPU Dependent so much as one would think, but lower then FSB or CPU Defaults can be unstable or hard to get stable.

You can use 4.00B or 4.00D at your any FSB you are looking to run at, with D being the easier one to get stable. And some BIOS do use Symbols instead of Letters incase your is like that. Here is a Image of what Multi's are on what straps >>>

I am truly sorry if that is what my post implied, but I did not intend for it to sound that way. I've been browsing these boards for two days and the majority of the posts I've read so far has been written by you - so I feel rather safe following your advice when it comes to BIOS setup, if not more.
    (Ps. When I talked about the voltage setup might have damaged the memory stick, I ment the adjustments I added to the BIOS before I came to this forum, before I wrote this thread and asked for your advice) ;)

BUT! Thanks for the input on the whole clock/memory thingy. Even though the words wont stick just yet, it helps me put my mind at ease (at least a little bit) while I'm doing this.

My new RAM is on its way, I guess in a week or so, so we will see how it goes then and report back, if my computer will load up fine or not.
    I am getting four 1GB memory sticks this time by the way, not just 2x1GB. The RAM is the same type as before (TW3X2G1600C9DHX).

But, two questions regarding Memory:
    1.) Does it matter if the memory's freuqence is 1600MHz if my Motherboard won't run it higher than 1066 MHz as default? Shouldn't I just get a pair of 1066MHz memory sticks for it to be as stabil as possible?
    2.) Dual Channeling. If I have the same type of memory stick (TW3X2G1600C9DHX) in memory slot 1&3 or 2&4, will that multiply my memory frequency, as in 800MHz x 2 = 1600MHz, since it's "dual"? So that I will have to, if my BIOS does not set it as default, set my memory frequence manually to 800MHz. Or is this an even dumber question than the one before it? Haha.

I am really sorry for all the questions, it is rather embarrasing to be honest. I am myself a computer geek, and I have a lot of friends that are computer geeks, but I don't know anyone that has decided to use DD3 compatible boards yet so they know just as much as me about this, well, almost.

Thanks again.

- Angel M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information