Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Up Temporary Hang ~ GA-MA78GM-S2H

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Power Up Temporary Hang ~ GA-MA78GM-S2H

Sounds like you tried to many different things at once, and not enough of the same all at once. Set all to 327 and up your voltages and you should be good to go

This afternoon I have modified things to these settings:

DDR2 to +0.3V = 2.100V
    Northbridge to +0.2V = 1.300V
    Trfc (all four) to 327

Other settings (default) which I see on the same BIOS page:

IT/2T Command Timing = 2T
    Tw Tr Command Delay = 3T
    Write Recovery Time = 6T
    Precharge Time = 3T
    Row Cycle Time = 25T
    RAS to RAS Delay = 3T
    Skip DQS
    CKE Power Down Mode = Disabled
    Memclock tri-stating = Disabled
    Bank Swizzle Mode = Enabled

(SATA running in IDE Mode)

I don't really understand the BIOS popupup that says "Post error occurs!" and then lists a Default followed by various "Success" entries, plus Press Last Time Good. I think messages like that are useful to people who expect to see them, but I need subjects and predicates. So far I have just let the popups take their own choices what they want to do. On occasion they have come back around as many as 4 times, though generally it is just once per startup.

Further info appreciated. Lsdmeasap, are you suggesting that things may be improving? Perhaps I'm close to getting out of the woods, but the trees are still blocking my view (I hope). You know, when I first built this computer (late November), I RMAd a mobo because the monitor would come on but just sit there in power-saving mode: I could not access the BIOS. I don't know whether it would have booted up if I had left it for a long time, but the tech at NCIX tested it, checked the PSU too, tried RAM one stick at a time, and tried a new mobo for me. With the new mobo, the monitor came up, so NCIX replaced that mobo.

Also @Lsdmeasap, in the spring you helped out here (following)—but it does make me wonder whether this particular model of Gigabyte motherboard is simply not worth having. What do you think? Will I really ever have the computer I have put $1500 into?
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-m...working-26482/

Now this current problem is similar except the monitor is on power-save/hang/standby just temporarily, for only a minute or three.

I am also reading BIOS A to Z from Tom's Hardware now.
    Last edited by Groonx2; 01-06-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

Try row cycle time 30, and the rest of those listed above on Auto or set them manually higher

I have no clue what these are >>
    CKE Power Down Mode = Disabled
    Memclock tri-stating = Disabled
    Bank Swizzle Mode = Enabled
    So I wont comment about them as I am unsure. Are you a member of any Forums with AMD Specific Sections? If not I can link you to them, and maybe then you could get some better AMD Answers as I cannot really offer the best help at all with these boards

That BIOS popup means your settings failed and either defaults will be loaded or last known good

I can't really say about AMD boards, All I see is the issues with them myself. But then again that is the business I am in

Hey, Actually I found you a nice page about your board! 131 Pages, so surely you can find some answers there about these settings, if not you can join and ask for sure >>>
    The Official Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H RS780 mATX Thread - AVS Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Groonx2 View Post
    This is a new, self-built system. It is working well except for a temporary hang during a cold start just a second or two after the Power On Button is pressed.

The button remains illuminated, but the monitor drops back down into its power-save/wait/standby mode. If the system has been off power overnight, the start might not occur for more than 3 minutes. (But I abort starts [via the PSU power button] after 3-minute hangs.)

If the cold start is after only an hour or two—or if it is a second try, following an aborted start—then the hang/wait/delay with the monitor on power-saving/standby is 0:40 to about 2:00 minutes, averaging ~1:10 minutes. Then there is a perfect BEEP! or quite often a stumbling db-BEEP! (not two beeps; just a single beep but with a bit of a stumble) and the monitor light returns to full power and the system comes up into Windows XP 64.

If the cold start is after a very short interval—as short as I can test it; say, total power off about 10 seconds—then the hang has been measured to be as short as 7 and 12 seconds (two different tests).

Once the system is up, it runs "perfectly", and will continue to do so until the next cold start. If I choose to do a system RESTART via Windows, the computer will go down and come back up "perfectly".

(The Restart BUTTON is not functioning for some reason, so it is left out of my tests.)

—The situation has been the same with either ASCI enabled or with my SATA drives running in IDE mode.
    — I have removed drives and replaced them. Heavy or light hardware loads appear to make no difference.
    — The PSU was checked at NCIX.
    — The mobo is a replacement which was also tested with my system (and with this RAM) at NCIX.
    — Note that this system uses 8 GB of RAM. (All 4 RAM slots on the mobo are used, although this mobo can utilize 16 GB of RAM.) The 4 RAM sticks were moved around and tried one at a time, and that made no difference. (They haven't been tested by MemTest.) The RAM is currently @ DDR2-800 because the Athlon 64 x2 5600+ uses it that way, though this RAM is actually DDR2-1000.

— The BIOS was recently updated, and both the earlier version 5 and the new version 6 gave the same results.

I am not yet very familiar with the BIOS. At the moment, the only serious adjustments are to voltage, in which I have modified the BIOS:

• DDR2 +0.3V to now equal 2.100V
    • Northbridge +0.1V to now equal 1.200V

— Before those adjustments, I was getting bluescreens at Stop 0x50, but since the adjustments, the system seems fine except for the temporary hangs during cold starts.

I would very much appreciate more detailed BIOS help if that might correct the startups. I'm guessing (or hoping) that that is where the problem lies.

For those with the same system or following this thread closely, the Gigabyte manual for this GA-MA78GM-S2H version 1.1 and its Award BIOS is available as a download at
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download

Thank you.
    I was reading the rest of the posts but I failed to see anything more about your HARDWARE issue. Have you tried troubleshooting that yet? Maybe the case is miswired so that the reset and power switches are reversed? This could be an issue because I believe the power and reset switches are different types. Maybe the motherboard thinks that you're holding the reset switch down because of that?

Even if it's not exactly that, you cannot rule out the possiblity that the two problems could be related.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but it seems you've tried all the high-percentage stuff. The only things left are the unlikely suspects. I hope you can fix this issue!

Bill

Smile Re: Power Up Temporary Hang ~ GA-MA78GM-S2H

Thanks :) to both Lsdmeasap and to Billko. I shall be following up the input you both gave me, later this morning. @Bill, you make an interesting point about the power buttons. While the power on-off button seems to work fine, the restart button below it does not work aty all—even though it is wired. It is wired as shown in the instructions, too, but I have been intending to reverse the leads. I thought it was something trivial, but I'd better give it attention today. (Not to mention that I would like the restart button to work anyway.)

Again, thanks to both of you. I'll be back later.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
    Gigabyte AM2+ GA-MA78GM-S2H ver 1.1. BIOS (newest) F11
    NB: AMD780G. SB: AMD SB700
    RAM 8GB (2 kits @ 4GB each) G.Skill DDR2-1000 (F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 x2 CL5-5-5-15) running as DDR2-800
    Case Antec P150
    PSU Corsair HX520W. (PSU calc by Corsair + NCIX; tested by TT Dr Power.)
    Cooling Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (Arctic Silver 5); 6 fans
    HDDs usable 1.7 TB (4 Seagates—3x 500GB SATA ST3500320AS w/SD1A + 1x 320GB PATA ST3320620A)
    Floppy
    Opticals (3): Pioneer SATA DVR-212D; LiteOn/Sony PATA CRX230AE; external USB Samsung SE-S204S DVD Writer
    Video ATI Radeon HD4670
    Monitor 22" LG W2242TQ w/Belkin DVI-D
    Sound Altec Lansing 5.1
    Mouses (2) Logi MX620 + Logi V220
    KB Simple Perfection backlit USB
    XP64
    No gaming; heavy simultaneous use of big programs
    System built Nov 2008

You can also just set in the BIOS your power button to be instant OFF and use your Reset switch wires as a Clear CMOS switch, I do that in MANY Builds as the Reset Button is pretty much not needed at all as you should always shut down your system via the software shut off buttons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information