Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA EX58-UD5. Windows will not recognize 3rd GPU in Tri SLI

Default GA EX58-UD5. Windows will not recognize 3rd GPU in Tri SLI

Hi All,

I put together system last week and I cannot get Vista 64 bit SP1 to recognize a third GPU. I have three 280GTXs, all of which will work fine in PCI-e slot 1. Windows will recognioze another GPU in slot 2 with no problem. If I remove the GPU in slot 2 and leave a GPU in slot 3, windows will recognize the card in slot 3. Replacing the second card while the third card is in place results in only 2 GPUs. Upon installing the 3rd card in the 2nd slot, device manager moves the active card from PCIe root port nine to root port 7.

Here are my system specs:
    GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F4
    Core i7 965
    3 BGF GTX280 OC2
    6GB Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D
    PC Power & Cooling 1200 W PS
    4 WD Raptors
    Vista 64 bit SP1
    No overclocking

I have tried everything that I know of in terms of confirming that the hardware is functional. As mentioned earlier, I have confirmed each video card works individually. I have installed both the NVidia 180.48 & 180.84 drivers with the same effect.

During boot up, the motherboard never sees more than one display device no matter how many are installed. I also find it strange that Windows will move the active card from root port 9 to 7.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

Default Re: GA EX58-UD5. Windows will not recognize 3rd GPU in Tri SLI

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember another post about this. Try the forums seach utility. It might mean you have to go through several X58 threads, but as it's a new-ish board and chipset, you'll find most are fairly recent.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you reinstall the driver after inserting the third card? Not sure about SLI but I know you must reinstall the driver after each card you add in Crossfire.

Have you tried to assign each card it's own IRQ? What do you have set for Init First Display?

Have you found anyone else to get SLI x3 working in this board?

Just tossing ya some thoughts, I have never used SLI

Problem Solved!

Thanks for the input and suggestions. As I mentioned in my first post, Vista 64 would not recognize that a third GPU was in the system. No matter how many times I unistalled cards and drivers, Vista would not recognize the third card which would prevent the installation of drivers for the third card. I had confirmed that each card individually functioned and that I had the latest drivers for GPUs and MB. I found an almost obscure post on on the NVidia forums with an installation method that worked for me. Here is what I did:

1) Turn off computer
    2) Remove GPUs except for PCIe 16X1
    3) Reboot
    4) Remove GPU drivers
    5) Reboot
    6) Install GPU drivers (I used 180.48-latest WHQL)
    7) Shut Down
    8) Install GPU in PCIe 8x1
    9) Reboot and windows will install driver (confirm 2 GPUs in Control Panel)
    10) Shutdown
    11) Install 2 -Way SLI bridge
    12) Reboot and confirm that SLI option is available in NVidia panel
    13) Shutdown
    14) Remove 2-Way SLI bridge
    15) Install 3rd GPU in the PCIe X16_2 slot without SLI bridge
    16) Reboot and windows will install driver.
    17) Confirm 3 GPUs are avaialble in Control Panel. In my case, the GPU from PCI Express Root Port 9 was now missing (PCIe 8x1 slot)
    18) Shut down
    19) Install 3 Way SLI bridge and reboot
    20) Windows bubble may inform you that SLI is available
    21) Confirm you have 3 GPUs in Control Panel (I did)
    22) Confirm that 3 Way SLI is available in the NVidia Panel

I know this sure sounds like a convulated method for installing 3 way SLI on the UD5 Mobo but it worked! The strange part was losing the second GPU in PCIe 8x1 and then having it re-appear when installing the 3-way SLI bridge. I hope this helps someone else.

Robert

3 way sli 280s, thats just sick!

Sick or not, good he found the solution to his problem and shared it.

Yes, thanks for posting back!

Glad you got it figured out!

Rob, I have the exact same problem. I just threw 3 GTX280s into my Dell XPS 730 and Vista 64 is not friendly with number three. I just wanted to thank you for your post. I am about to try your solution.

All worked out well. I 'rolled the dice' and took a shortcut route in the procedure since my motherboard has nVidia RAID and other chipset features associated with nVidia.

1. Shutdown
    2. removed cards 2 and 3
    3. started up and reset video settings to 1024x768 (big fun on a 30" monitor!)
    4. uninstalled only the nVidia display drivers
    5. shutdown and reinstalled all cards and restored the SLI bridge
    6. powered up and reinstalled the latest drivers from nVidia

Vista picked up the third card and Tri-SLI was available in the nVidia control panel.

Also, in case anyone is thinking of going Tri-SLI in a XPS 730 you may have noticed that the factory 1KW power supply is not wired for three cards (Doh, Dell). This is an issue because the power supply is not replaceable with an aftermarket unit due to proprietary wiring for the 730 daughterboard that controls many systems for lighting and power management. I found a great solution to this problem in a supplimental power supply that installs into an empty 5.25 bay. It is called the "ePower Juice Box". I found the 450w version at egghead.com for $49. they come only wired to handle PCIe power with two 8pin and two 6 pin outputs. With this solution you can buy power supplies to just handle your video. Pretty cool when you think about it.

Anyway, I hope this helps raise awareness in the community anout how to tackle Tri-SLI.
    Last edited by tgruen; 11-22-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information