Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: UD3P and Q6600 Bios Settings

Default UD3P and Q6600 Bios Settings

I recently put together the computer in my sig, and am in the process of overclocking. The CPU is a Q6600 G0 that I plan to hit 400 X 9 (3.6Ghz) with. Ram will stay at stock settings. I have an idea of how well this CPU overclocks from the previous owner - I will be aiming for VCore of around 1.30 load for ~3.6Ghz. Problem is, I had the system running stable at 400 X 8, but as of late, I have been getting cold boot and stability issues. I was hoping for some suggested setting for my bios so that I can have a good ground to start from as I try to troubleshot the issue. Any suggestions?
    Intel Q6600 G0 | G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800 Pi Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | EVGA 9500 GT | BFG Tech ES-800 | Antec Three Hundred

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: UD3P and Q6600 Bios Settings

Sounds like it was not as stable as you had thought is all. Please give me what you was using exactly for 8x400 and I will post you back some suggested 3.6 settings and post back some possible suggested changes for your 8x400 profile.

Previous owner? Just because they could do something with your CPU does not mean you for sure can, too many possible differences even with the same hardware. But you are right it should give you a general Idea of what you can expect.

I see you mention 1.30, I really have to expect and think for sure you will have to use far more then that to be stable at 3.6 with a Q6600. And that would need to be actual voltage, not what is set in the BIOS. A average Voltage for a Q6600 for 3.6 would be 1.38-1.425 Actual. 1.3 actual would not be anywhere near enough from what I have seen from any Q6600

What cooler are you using?

Well please do post me your 3.2 profile and I will make some suggestions for that, and a 3.6 profile for you to work with. And please do post me a screenshot of CPU-z at idle for your 3.2 profile so I can see what vdrop your board has. Thanks >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: 
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................
    tRCD .........................................
    tRP'...........................................
    tRAS..........................................

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................
    tWTR..........................................
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................
    tRTP...........................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Hey, just to quickly introduce myself. I've been helping dac put together and OC his computer and whatnot - giving him as much help as I can - but the whole cold boot and instability (as in BSOD and OCCT crashing withing minutes) had me baffled. He went from 12h high priority OCCT Mixed Stable @ 3.2GHz to a cold booting mess in what seems to be magically overnight (mind you, vcore and vdimm were VERY reasonable, so I do not think that any components were damaged... nothing was changed in bios either).

I suspect it has something to do with flakey power, maybe something to do with his house outlet, but I asked dac to make an account here to try and tweak his bios away from "auto" where possible just incase it has something to do with the bios settings (I had a couple DFI boards over the last few years, so I think you can figure out where this mentality is coming from). I will be checking up on this thread as much as I can, and maybe help fill in the info whenever dac is not around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I see you mention 1.30, I really have to expect and think for sure you will have to use far more then that to be stable at 3.6 with a Q6600. And that would need to be actual voltage, not what is set in the BIOS. A average Voltage for a Q6600 for 3.6 would be 1.38-1.425 Actual. 1.3 actual would not be anywhere near enough from what I have seen from any Q6600

What cooler are you using?
    CPU is a lapped (yes its flat, not some crummy buldging job... checked multiple points with razor) 1.2VID Q6600 G0 with a Xigmatek 1283 (3 pipes) installed with a bolt-thru kit and AS5. Temperatures are higher than we hoped for, peaking at 62 load from ~35 idle as reported by OCCT and.... ummm was it CoreTemp or RealTemp.... I forget. Tried different orientations and thermal paste application methods to no avail (max load difference was ~2 degrees... which could be attributed to the unstable room temperature). Below is the vcore graph and the highest temp graph from OCCT for 12h in Mixed mode.

Temperatures:
    http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s358/NouPig/Random/2008-12-17-03h58-CPU1.png

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sounds like it was not as stable as you had thought is all. Please give me what you was using exactly for 8x400 and I will post you back some suggested 3.6 settings and post back some possible suggested changes for your 8x400 profile.
    Below are the bios settings that I can remember filled out to the best of my recollection. Everything else was left at default or auto. VCore for 3.2Ghz was set to 1.375ish in bios for 3.2Ghz in an attempt for a quick painless 3.2Ghz overclock with the intention of minimizing vcore for 3.2Ghz after stability was ensured. Previous owner claimed full stability at ~3.7Ghz with 1.35V in bios, 1.28V load. This might have been a stretch, but one can only stretch so far, so I figured 1.28ish for 3.2Ghz was a good starting point. I would have blamed vcore for the instability myself, had it not been relatively stable prior to the magical night. Also, 2-3 additional bumps in vcore did not help stability, so I was hoping it was not the factor.

Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8 X
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.20GHz(400x8)

Clock Chip Control 
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 400
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100

Left at Default

DRAM Performance Control
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B/D (tried both, no real difference)
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800 800

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 4
    tRCD ......................................... 4
    tRP'...........................................  4
    tRAS.......................................... 12

Advanced Timing Control
    Left at Default

Left at Default

CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.3875 vdrops to ~1.32 idle, vdroops to ~1.28 load
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: (turns out this was set to Auto instead of 1.200V)
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: (turns out this was set to Auto instead of 1.500V)
    CPU Reference.…………....0.755V*.......: 0.803v

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: <<< 1.22V... asked him to try lowering towards 1.1 to see if it helps w cold boot and stability last night, then I passed out while he was OCCT'ing on CPU mode
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........: 0.803v
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: Auto
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: Auto

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.900V
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Auto

Advanced Settings
    Left at Default

Integrated Peripherals
    Left at Default
    As you can see, much of the bios settings were left alone. I know that some settings should be changed (ie. skew settings and whatnot) but I am personally not familiar with the board; hence why we are here. Oh, and thanks for everything thus far.

UPDATE:
    System passed (OCCT 12h High Priority CPU Mode) using the above bios settings with MCH Core set to 1.1V. Temperatures once again peaked at 62. I updated the settings above after verifying with dac, so these are the exact settings that he was having trouble with (but with MCH Core at 1.22V). We are in the process of trying to replicate the instability and cold boots again by setting MCH Core back to 1.22V, we'll update with the results. Once that's done, we'll tweak the bios using LSD's template, and hopefully by then, his feedback.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s...8h49-VCore.png
    http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s...08h49-CPU2.png

UPDATE 2:
    MCH Core @ 1.22V = stable... no cold boot issues or massive instability. Will now be working on tweaking bios and lowering vcore for 3.2Ghz, maybe shoot for 3.6 once LSD shows up :) Still find it weird how it was acting up for a day or two... I'll get dac to check his rails next time it happens - hopefully its not his PSU or outlet.
    Last edited by killmenow; 01-04-2009 at 06:43 AM.

I'm kinda low on cash so let's hope its not worst case scenario
    Intel Q6600 G0 | G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800 Pi Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | EVGA 9500 GT | BFG Tech ES-800 | Antec Three Hundred

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, well looks good then if it is now stable. As for settings, do you guys want them now or later? I guess later so I can let you test your methods you are using now.

I can and will howver give you some optimal ranges for most all of those settings, as Killmenow you are correct Auto is not good and often hurts more then helps. Especially with some voltages. Such as DO NOT leave Vtt or Pll on Auto when overclocking.

MCH Voltage will be dependant on what strap you are using, what tRD and what memory Freq, so 1.2 may be enough, but maybe not. Just all depends, p45 is very picky about this setting.

A side note for you to take in about some of the voltages and ref's while you do up some more testing. Do note, you can leave the Ref's on Auto if you like as tuning Ref's can take days, I only added this info for you as I know DFI may have gained you some knowledge in this area and I just thought you may find this info handy incase you started to walk him thru any of these settings while I was gone >>>

CPU Termination (Vtt) Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

CPU Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    CPU Reference2 Voltage (.67% of Default Vtt/1.20)
    MCH Reference Voltage (.63% of Default Vtt/1.20)

DRAM Voltage Automatically changes the following if manually set >>>

MCH/DRAM Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    DRAM Termination Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel A Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)
    Channel B Reference Voltage (.50% of Default Dram Voltage)

If you want a higher or lower than stock % / Value for any of the above settings you will find it easier to set the Dram Voltage or Vtt back to stock (Or above or below to find and be able to choose alternate % Values), then adjust desired setting to the % / Value you wish to use.

Then once you have selected a % range you want to use for said setting then go back and raise your Vtt or Dram Voltage back to what you choose to use and the corresponding settings will self adjust

I will for sure give you some optimal settings for all those ram settings once you guys are sure you have the CPU where you want it. Just let me know

May I hijack this thread, please?
    Sort of?

I've a UD3P(rev.1.0,bios f8f) and a Q6600(G0, vid: 1.2625(CoreTemp)), running Prime 95 peaking at 65C at 3.2gHz (4x8). Ran 5 hrs with all four cores at 100% while I slept this afternoon. Though the standard seems to be twenty four hours of torture, I'm not too concerned the extra nineteen hours will provide any surprises. I'm quite interested in the offered setting suggestions. CPU-Z shows a core voltage of 1.248 while the cores are at 100%, and well, it seems precisely the same at idle. The rest of my rig: Xig 1283 lapped (and the most modest application of a colloidal silver compound), Sapphire 3870 512 ddr3, 8x WD2500YD (though not all currently connected), 4 gigs 1066 Reaper (2x2), an IDE DVD and 40 gig HD), Floppy (soon to be replaced with another HD), stripped P2 case without a side, 800 w BFG ES, $10 20" Box Fan with a foam filter. Bought the board back in November, because to my mind it was theoretically the most promising way to maximize the 775 procs, when compatibility with other OS's is a prime consideration. Only had the opportunity to finally assemble the machine a few weeks ago. Everything has run solid at stock. Only discovered one idiosyncrasy recently while oc'd at 3.2 (4x8): Hulu videos freeze after about forty five minutes, whether in Windows or OS X. Difficult to test out fixes. Chances are this will show up in CS3 and FC, but I haven't loaded them yet since OS X is finicky when the parameters of the machine are altered, necessitating a fresh installation. So I'd like to settle on my OC before I reinstall all the software, and set up the raid(s). That and it would be nice if eufi worked on AHCI drives as well as IDE. I'll settle for the suggestions (on a 3.2 (4x8) and a 3.6 (4x9)) you had for these lads back in January, and a small lizard, and thank you.

Here is the template:

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................:3.2 ghz

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 400Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100

CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<100
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 200

DRAM Performance Control
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400mhz
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.66D
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................4
    tWTR..........................................5
    tWR............................................5
    tRFC...........................................57
    tRTP...........................................4
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength ............................1066

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Left for all below as well
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Left for all below as well
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.275
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......:Normal<< If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore. Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......:Normal<< If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65. Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......:Auto <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:N/A<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........:Normal <<
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........;Auto <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........:Auto <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............:Auto <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............:Auto <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.900v
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Left at auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< "
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< "

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................:Enabled

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............enabled

I only raised the vcore because I felt I should do something. I've booted into winXP(32) and am running Prime95 with cpu-z showing a core voltage of 1.232 and max temps of 60C just now. I reset the above configuration with the stock vcore of 1.2625. Whup, the 1024 tests are over, and now the 8ks are heating things up to 57-63C.

I've tried a few attempts over the last seven hours to get a stable 3.6 (4x9) configuration. Seems it really needs a jolt to push it past this 3.2 barrier? After bumping the vcore and mch up a few notches I can boot into XP at 3.6 (4x9), but have had no success in stabilty and temperatures with those nudges. At 3.6 Windows seemed more then 12% quicker, but I am not hopelessly obsessed with attaining a stable 3.6 I'm quite grateful to have a board (and chip) that'll do 3.2 without a cattle prod. Nevertheless I'm certain there are tweaks I haven't considered for the 3.2, and would like to experiment with the 3.6 realm.

One rant to close: when a cpu gets hot the metal of the casing expands and presses against the finely lapped heat sink. An irregular thin COLD metal plate changes shape when heated. The planar nature of the COLD proc case is less important then the flatness when heated. Besides, it voids the warranty. And when you buy your proc in the dark parking lot of a closed school on a rainy night from a guy who wants cash, lapping it isn't the first priority. (Fortunately the guy was just being careful as he'd been robbed recently. He's IT and had just received a 9450 from a friend who was building an i7. The 9450 was the only other proc I was considering for this build, so I was a little jealous. He said he couldn't really tell the difference, and if the 9450 hadn't presented on the cheap a week after he bought the Q6600, he would have been happy with the 6600.) As I listen to my furnace cool off I just wish the whole discussion of lapping would take heat into account, not just heat dissipation. Thank you.

p.s. Prime has now been running near an hour with the stock vcore at 3.2 (4x8) without any workers taking breaks.

@dac & killmenow, the vcore setting is unnecessarily high for a 1.2VID chip at 3.2G. As machinist is suggesting above, you shouldn't need much more than BIOS vcore of 1.225V.

I have a 1.25VID chip and my settings at 400x8:
    CPU Vcore….……….......1.2625V
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V
    CPU PLL………………….....1.500V
    MCH Core…………..….....1.160V
    ICH I/O………………........1.500V
    ICH Core…………...…...…1.100V
    Reference voltages......Auto

For 400x9, identical settings except:
    CPU Vcore….……….......1.3875V
    CPU PLL………………….....1.570V
    Last edited by gampamu; 04-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Thanks gampamu, for posting your results. Sadly your settings for 3.6 (4x9) are not stable for me. Just curious; do you run the easy 3.2 or the 3.6?

Ever curious, I reset all voltages to stock, but kept the 3.2 (4x8) multi, fsb and strapping changes. Rock solid under Prime and IntelBurnTest.

Guess I should just be grateful for a proc and board that can do this.

Still interested in any suggestions "LSD me ASAP" might have to offer towards the 3.6, or to polish the 3.2...

Quote Originally Posted by machinist View Post
    Thanks gampamu, for posting your results. Sadly your settings for 3.6 (4x9) are not stable for me. Just curious; do you run the easy 3.2 or the 3.6?

Ever curious, I reset all voltages to stock, but kept the 3.2 (4x8) multi, fsb and strapping changes. Rock solid under Prime and IntelBurnTest.

Guess I should just be grateful for a proc and board that can do this.

Still interested in any suggestions "LSD me ASAP" might have to offer towards the 3.6, or to polish the 3.2...
    Sounds like you have a decent chip. Chances are, all you need is little more vcore in order to get it stable at 400x9. You may need more MCH Core as well (around 1.2V) since you are running 2G memory modules (I am running 1G sticks).

I am currently playing around with 3.7G at 463x8.
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Thread Information