Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R Reboot Loop

Default GA-EP45-UD3R Reboot Loop

Hi folks,

This is my sixth computer build, and I've never encountered this problem before. I hope you can help.

Here is what I have:

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-EP45-UD3R (Rev. 1.1)
    Processor: Intel Core Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz LGA 775
    Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI
    Memory: Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Graphics Card: EVGA 512-P3-N976-AR GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Edition 512MB

Problem:
    When powering on the system, the motherboard LEDs show constant, the CPU fan spins up, then after 3-4 seconds, the LEDs go out and the fan stops. After everything has seemingly shut down after a few seconds, the process repeats itself.

Tests Performed:
    I removed everything from the motherboard so that only the CPU, CPU heatsink/fan, and the Power Switch connector from the computer case were connected. No memory. No graphics card. No additional fans connected to the power supply. Same results.

Then I removed the CPU from the motherboard, and the LEDs remained constantly lit and the power appeared to stay on (I did not test extensively).

I tried reseating the CPU over 8 times. No luck. I tried removing the battery to reset the CMOS. Still no luck. The pins appear to be fine and the bottom of the CPU looks good, too. All of these components are brand new.

Any suggestions? Is it likely the CPU, motherboard, or power supply?

Thanks in advance!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R Reboot Loop

Please remove all bu one stick of ram and see if you can access the BIOS. If you can load optimized defaults and set ONLY your ram voltage then save/apply/reboot. Then if you can access the BIOS again all is well

Please then, still with one stick of ram, set Performance Enhance on standard, set MCH Voltage to 1.22-1.24, set trfc to 54, set Static tRead Value for both channels to 10 and save/apply and shut down and install your second stick. You should then be good to go

Thanks, but please be aware that there is no memory in my computer right now, so the RAM cannot be the source of the problem. I would think that one would need to get the board to stay powered first without any RAM before trying any RAM.

I did a further experiment this morning with some interesting results.

I placed the CPU on the pins without closing the clamp and powered the unit ON for about 6-8 seconds to see if it would reset itself. It did not.

I then lowered the clamp so that it touched the processor but did not latch the arm. I tested it again for 6-8 seconds to see if it would reset. It did not. (It was here that I noticed the clamp was bent in a slight curve so that it would go down very tightly. With it touching the processor, it is in a 70-degree angle. I don't recall this being the case with my AMD board I built several years ago.)

Once I lowered the clamp by latching the arm and tested again, the reset problem occurred. Also, this is the only time that the CPU fan, which was attached but not placed on top of the processor, came on. In all the scenarios above, the processor did not even slightly get warm.

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated in advance!

Update
    I thought I'd try placing a stick of RAM in the machine in the event that I was looking at this from an oldschool amateur electronics perspective. Lsdmeasap was correct. One stick of the memory got the machine to be stable, but when I inserted the second stick in any of the other sockets, the same results would occur as if there were no memory in the computer.

I haven't tried his settings, yet, mostly because I don't understand how to change them within the BIOS. It is much more convoluted than any BIOS I've had before, but I do welcome it.

If anyone has some time and wouldn't mind helping a novice BIOS user, perhaps one could download the PDF manual for my motherboard at the link below and let me know precisely where I need to go to make changes, what changes I need to make, and why I am making them. I have changed BIOS settings in the past, but I've never overclocked a system or changed timing and voltage settings before (short of some CAS latency, which never worked for me).

Thanks in advance! It is much appreciated!

GA-EP45-UD3R Manual (PDF)
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download

Lsdmeasap,

Thank you for your recommendations.

I tried all that you said--as best I could to my knowledge with the BIOS settings. After changing all the settings and inserting the second stick, the same reboot loop happens again. Any further thoughts?

Much appreciated!

Disable "USB Legacy Support" this has been causing issues for many w/ R boards on here
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

I disabled the USB Legacy Support. No change.

This board WILL continually reboot with no RAM in it.

Did you try the second stick of RAM by its self? (if not, it sounds like a bad stick)
    I drove my self nuts, with the rebooting issue, and it was bad memory. see here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/wont...nuously-29197/

Try each stick by its self in the slot closest to the CPU, if it boots with one and not the other, one is probably bad.

Not latching the CPU, being that there are no pins especially, is a bit scary. I wouldn't turn it on with out the cpu latched, and a heatsink on it.

Ramman1269,

You are correct, sir. I had forgotten to try the second stick in memory slot 1 by itself. I just tried it and it produced the same rebooting results; therefore, I assume the memory is bad. I did place the other one back in memory slot 1, and it worked fine again. Thanks for the help!

Older motherboards do not continually reboot without RAM in them. I do mean much older ones--those that stay powered and produce the error code beeps. Apparently, I cannot rely on older logic to test the power supply and other components with newer boards that act like this.

In regard to the CPU unlatched and without a heat sink, I share your concern. The amount of time that the computer stayed on before was so small, the processor had not even gotten warm. If the computer lasted longer, as I eventually discovered by trying the RAM, I shut it off within 15-20 seconds tops.

I grew up with a father who repaired tube-type televisions and have seen a lot of old school electronics troubleshooting and repair techniques. A good deal of them are irrelevant with building computers today, but they had more relevance circa 1998-2001 and before. Clearly, testing the power in ways done prior to modern boards (or this one in particular) will not work. Just be thankful I didn't say I was using an oscilloscope to diagnose computer problems. ;)

Thanks again, all! I'll be back once I get new memory and have more problems. :D

Hey no problem, happy to have been able to help!

I recently did the same thing, and couldn't understand how I could have the same reboot problem I started with, even with no RAM or Vid card, and a new MB, CPU, and different power supply's... I was ready to throw everything that plugged in to a wall in the garbage, and start writing letters!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information