Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Just built computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P, very sluggish performance.

Default Just built computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P, very sluggish performance.

Hi guys, I put together my first computer last night with the help of a friend and and do not have a high level of knowlege about this stuff. The computer is overall extremely sluggish, so slow in fact I cant install any drivers or open "My Computer" without it not responding. Here is what I installed.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core
    PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    MSI R4850-512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

And the operating system I installed was Vista Ultimate X64

Default Re: Just built computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P, very sluggish performance.

update: I had both sticks of ram in red slots on the mobo, i took one out of slot 3 and only have 1 in now and it seems like its running stable, when I put them in the yellow slots or just one in slot 3 i get beep codes and it keeps restarting, any help or ideas whats wrong?

Default Re: Just built computer with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P, very sluggish performance.

Hi,

Did it ever run properly, or it was always like this from when you built it ?

Did you Format the hardrive and install a fresh copy of Windows, or is it using an old installation from other hardware ?

It could be that you have a virus or other type of infection running on your system, run some scans with AVG and Adware 2008 or whatever is at your disposal, also if you suspect an infection run Hijackthis |MG| HijackThis 1.99.1 and save a log file for future reference.

See if we can eliminate some possibilities, as i don't have much to go on. :)

Having just read your last post, it could be a voltage problem that your Motherboard isen't supplying enough voltage, check the documentation of the ram and check the Bios to make sure the Voltage is set correctly.

Also make sure when you seat your Ram modules that both Dimm socket clips lock down together ( not one end at a time ) badly seated Modules are often overseen.

Goodluck.

Ok I adjusted the voltage to the recommended 2.0V, installed both sticks and made sure they seated properly. The computer will not post and just keeps restarting with no beep codes or anything, so i took one stick out and then it worked fine again but still hangs every once in a while. The strange thing is if i stick both sticks in one side, one in red and one in yellow slot the computer reads it as 4 gigs, but is very sluggish, im so confused I wish i could explain it better but my computer logic is a bit thin

I just put the computer together last night, fresh install of the hdd and windows vista X64 so i know its not a virus, and its all brand new hardware from Newegg

If you haven't already, try installing 1 Module and test it ... if the problem is still there swap the Module to another slot and test again.

If the problem still persists, try your second Module in each slot, failing that can you test it with a different set of RAM.

It is most important to run only the most essential components while fault testing, 1 system drive 1 memory mudule, and your Graphics card, hopefully we can pinpoint the problem this way.

Goodluck.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes please test the ram one stick at a time, if both sticks pass, test each slot one at a time with one good stick >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

As for your slots, you should put the ram in slot 1 +3 or 2 + 4, preferably 1+3

You will need to set Performance enhance on standard, set your ram voltage to spec 2.0-2.1 likely, Set MCH Voltage to 1.2-1.24 for 2x2GB and make sure trfc is 52 or 54 or so, and be sure static tRead is not to low (Like 4-6 is likely to low) use 7-10 for now

Thread Information