Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSDMEASAP: For Your Attention

Exclamation LSDMEASAP: For Your Attention

It's been a very long time since I've been here (nearly 5yrs in fact), but a close friend asked me to have a look around at a few things here and while I've been doin' that I've noticed 1 big glarin' prob goin' on that I thought that I'd share with ya.

It has to do with the number of ppl with PSU's that have multiple 18-22A 12v rails but are tryin' to run PC's with videocards that require at least 24A or more to power (Christ, 1 fellow is tryin' to use a dual 12v rail PSU @ 15A each rail with a videocard that requires 26A to run) and they wonder why they're havin' probs (won't start, unstable, rebootin' or are fryin' hardware).

Now this is just based on those posts (that I've seen so far) that actually state what PSU is bein' used but how many more of these ppl that don't state their PSU's are in the same boat?

I hope that this may info may help ya to help others better, cheers.

Default Re: LSDMEASAP: For Your Attention

Sorry to hijack the post which is directed to Lsdme...

To add more confusion to the mix, several PSU's out there quote that they are multirail when in fact they have the prefferable* Single 12 volt line - my HX520 being one of them!

Always a good source for PSU reviews:-
    JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-04-2009 at 01:31 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I agree, and often do not mention this due to the fact that users only argue with this normally about how good their PSU is...

So I just leave it at that

Wiggo, seeing your post count maybe you should chime in on a few of these posts when you notice it as a issue and maybe they would listen to you and then me as a second voice in that opinion a little better

Arrow Re: LSDMEASAP: For Your Attention

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Sorry to hijack the post which is directed to Lsdme...

To add more confusion to the mix, several PSU's out there quote that they are multirail when in fact they have the prefferable* Single 12 volt line - my HX520 being one of them!

Always a good source for PSU reviews:-
    JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Reviews
    Yes a lot of PSU's have virtual 12v rails so when 1 is overloaded, like your setup, they revert back to a single rail.
    In fact you should've went for the 620W version w/ that setup, I like to have 20W dedicated to the system itself after the videocard (25w if o/c'd), so how long that PSU of your's will last w/ that setup is very questionable.

Also I don't pay much attention to PSU reviews as they're only short term testin' & its the long term that counts counts.

Another thing, why are ya only o/c'd to 3GHz & not much more ( mayb very likely that PSU is holdin' ya back)?

I build 40-50 systems per year & have done so for many yrs now & while I'm not buildin' them I upgrade & repair others.

Don't ever skimp $'s on a PSU or it'll cause more heartache in the long run, better to get a more than ya require.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap
    I agree, and often do not mention this due to the fact that users only argue with this normally about how good their PSU is...

So I just leave it at that
    Don't leave it, argue back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap
    Wiggo, seeing your post count maybe you should chime in on a few of these posts when you notice it as a issue and maybe they would listen to you and then me as a second voice in that opinion a little better
    To much bad blood here & I'm only replyin' to this as I was informed that this thread required a responce from me.

Mayb I'll drop back in in another 5yrs.
    Last edited by Wiggo; 01-11-2009 at 02:23 PM.

In fact you should've went for the 620W version w/ that setup, I like to have 20W dedicated to the system itself after the videocard (25w if o/c'd), so how long that PSU of your's will last w/ that setup is very questionable.
    If I've read your comment correctly, I totally disagree - the 520watt version is way more than enough for my setup. Additionally as I have a "Silent" PC, I've never heard the PSU fan ramping up (as they do under load/heat), which of course mine doesn't as the load/heat generated even after hours of gaming isn't enough.

Yes a lot of PSU's have virtual 12v rails so when 1 is overloaded, like your setup, they revert back to a single rail.
    This sort of comment "worries" me, as it's one that is stated through misunderstanding. The PSU doesn't Revert back to anything. If you look at the Jonny Guru Review (and others), the two 12volts points on the PCB, are simply linked back to the SAME point. It's simply marketing and not fact that has been used here. I think it's you Wiggo that needs to do some research!

The PSU debate has been totally misrepresented because the range of quality out there varies so widely.
    My 520watt PSU, can better many 700 watt PSU's out there and because of this fact, other comparisons and minimum specs etc are almost impossible to compare.

I always see the big OEM as a good source of info. OEM's often only use what the system needs, with a small amount of headroom. If you check any of the major Oem's such as say Dell, you'll see they use low capacity PSU's even for some mid to high end setups.
    Take Shuttle for instance with their SFF barebones. A 400watt Shuttle PSU will power a mid to high end system.

Personally as i have a small overclock and with a 45nm CPU, I'd quite happily try a GTX260 in my system rather than the current 8800GTS. I also chose a small overclock because I wanted to retain the stock cooler and I don't particularly like overclocking per-se - no other reason.

I've also Checked Volt drop with full-ish system loading (Prime95 Concurrently with 3dmark vantage) whilst measuring (With Fluke DVM) at Atx connectors and peripheral connectors. All 12volt measuring points dropped no more tham 50mv.

[Example] BFG's recommendations....

GTX 260 OC MAXCORE

525W PCI Express®-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 38A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core®2 Extreme QX9650 processor)
    BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 896MB PCIe 2.0

8800 GTS OC 512MB
    425W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 28A or more (Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor)
    BFG Tech - BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB PCIe 2.0

I'm not a system builder, nor am I any longer in electronics. However I used to work as a qualified engineer working to component level mainly on the bench for around 15 years (Mainly Hifi and video). During that time I've worked on hundreds of makes/models, aswell as electronics being a hobby for the last 35 years. Infact I've worked on everything from Valve amplifiers to Switch mode power supplies, so I'd like to think I had some knowledge on the subject.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 01-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Way too many people go crazy on PSU's lately. For most a 500W is plenty as long as its a good PSU.

What people should realize is that the CPU's and boards/memory keep getting more energy efficient as they use less voltages. So its the video cards that are drawing the more and more.
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
    Way too many people go crazy on PSU's lately. For most a 500W is plenty as long as its a good PSU
    Absolutely.

Trouble is there is such a big divide between decent PSU's and Poor Psu's where ratings are nowhere near the same for a given advertised wattage.

Also Psu's like my Corsair are rated at Full Current at 50C which is unusually good.

Company Marketing though has played a major part in PSU's as for years they were the "Plain Metal Box with wires" in the PC. Now it seems the entry level (as with hard drives) is rising all the time and sales of 400+ watts is more the norm, regardless that CPU/GPU die size (and therefore power) is becoming smaller.

It's no doubt that the PSU market is now driven through the marketing machine. And as i said above, OEM's are often a good source for comparison on a particular setup, simply because they don't give you what you don't need. Of course, I like to add some headroom because I want the fan in my PSU (even under 3D load) not to speed up much (if at all).

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You guys would kill me if you knew the PSU I used and love
    Go on tell Us
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

already been answered :D
    Last edited by drewis; 05-08-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Gigabyte X58 UD5 Rev 1.0, X5670 @ 4.2GHz GTX980Ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information