Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-X48-DS5 with 8GB & Q9450 OC settings

Question Re: GA-X48-DS5 with 8GB & Q9450 OC settings

hi

here is my spec:

mobo:gax48-ds5
    cpu:q9450
    ram:corsair dominator 8500 2x1gb
    gpu: 250gts 1gb
    psu: tagan piperock 600w

My question is about GTLR1 and GTLR2

i managed to oc the quad max 3.6ghz, but its not so stable i ended up at 3.56ghz (fsb 445)

what's the right GTLR to chose,

GTLR1 ( +6%, auto, -3, -6, -9)
    GTLR2 (normal, -3%, -6)

i've read a bit about those settings, but still im kinda lost.

I'm also wondering about clock skew control ( should i change it? => PS)

cpu clock skew
    mhc clock skew

btw im at 3.45ghz atm with these settings

BIOS SETTINGS:

CPU C1E - Disabled
    CPU TM2 - Enabled
    CPU EIST - Disabled
    Virtualisation -Disabled

RGB - fast
    CPU Clock Ratio - [8x]
    CPU Frequency - 3.45Ghz
    CPU Host Clock Control - [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency - [432]
    PCE Express Frequency - [100]
    C.I.A.2. - [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance - [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - [2.40A] - i think; it makes 540mhz on ram
    Memory Frequency (SPD) - [Manual]

CAS Latency Time - 5
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 5
    DRAM RAS# precharge - 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS) - 15

ACT to ACT Delay - 4
    Bank Write to Read Delay - 4
    Write to Precharge Delay - 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay - 58
    Read to Precharge Delay - 4
    Static tRead Value - 7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust - 0 [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) - 2 [2T]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control - [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control - [Normal]
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control - 100ps => saw it here at this forum it could help...

System Voltage Control - [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control - [+0.30V]
    PCI-E Overvoltage Control - [+0.10V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control - [+0.15V]
    GTLR1 - auto =>> should i leave it to auto, because if it sets the GTLR automatically is it using the right amount or not to much lol?
    GTLR2- normal
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control - [+0.200]
    Loadline Calibration - [Disabled]
    CPU Voltage Calibration - [1.31250V]
    Normal CPU Vcore - 1.2500V

for 3.56ghz

i used these settings but i dunno it wasn't 100% stable in the end...

BIOS SETTINGS:

CPU Clock Ratio - [8x]
    CPU Frequency - 3.56Ghz
    CPU Host Clock Control - [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency - [445]
    PCE Express Frequency - [100]
    C.I.A.2. - [Disabled]
    Performance Enhance - [Standard]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - [2.50b]
    Memory Frequency (SPD) - [Manual]

CAS Latency Time - 5 [5]
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 5 [5]
    DRAM RAS# precharge - 5 [5]
    Precharge Delay (tRAS) - 15 [15]

ACT to ACT Delay - 4
    Bank Write to Read Delay - 4
    Write to Precharge Delay - 6
    Refresh to ACT Delay - 58 or 68 both ok
    Read to Precharge Delay -4
    Static tRead Value - 7 ( if i set to 8 dunno but i think i saw a more smooth game play could it be?)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust - 0 [Auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) - 2 [2T]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control - [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control - [Normal]
    (G)MCH Clock Skew Control - [Normal]

System Voltage Control - [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control - [+0.30V]
    PCI-E Overvoltage Control - [+0.10V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control - [+0.20V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control - [+0.250]
    Loadline Calibration - [disabled]
    CPU Voltage Calibration - [1.35 or 1.36250V] not sure but i know it needed more than 1.34v

i tweaked GTLR here

GTLR1 - -3%
    GTLR2 - -3%

it was stable but not 100% in the end...

and one more thing i noticed some little fluctuations in vcore and mem when idle for mem i saw 533.1mhz and it went to 533.0 back and forth, with cpu form example 3.560ghz to 3.5601 or 3.5603 even 3.5599ghz
    could this be a problem or is it just a minor deviation not worth mentioning?...

and again the most important thing atm is, well i would want to know more, GTLR and clock skew settings.

Tnx

Default Re: GA-X48-DS5 with 8GB & Q9450 OC settings

Hey Lsdmeasap, you still about mate? I know your busy and I don't mind waiting at all, but hopefully you can shed some light on this for me in the next few weeks.

I recently had some issues with the MOBO and ended up sorting it, but I've now redone the paste on the NB and gone to the latest BIOS, I now have to redo my OC again.

I sought about some light reading first and articles like this got my attention: Intro (I believe it was one of your posts I got the link from) anyway I'm now wondering would it be better overall to run 400MHZ FSB with a hopefully lower tRD or 440MHZ FSB (I can't get the rig stable past 445MHZ with 8GB but it's a 24/7 rig so that's fine) and one notch up on tRD?

With either of those would RAM not at 1:1 help allow for tighter timings, I allways thought Core2 architecture was best with 1:1 RAM ratio but things like this: Page 9 and Page 8 (there are many pages of it) have me more confused. This section in particular as I have no 5:4 ratio (I have 2.40B or 2.66D but nothing at 5:4): http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...best_picks.png

It points to me that 400MHZ FSB, 5:4 RAM ratio (which I don't think the X48 DS5 has, as above I have 2.40B or 2.66D but nothing at 5:4) with crazy low tRD is better? That is just for memory bandwidth though I gather as the higher FSB is canceled out by the higher tRD lowering Memory bandwidth, the CPU gains from 400 to 440 might come into the equation though.

If not 450MHZ (well 445) with 1:1 ratio (2.00B/D) giving 900MHZ RAM (or 2.66D giving 1066, if it's allowed) and a slightly higher tRD might be a good choice (considering the 8GB will limit my tRD right?), and would give the CPU boost I'd like

It's allot to chew over, particularly as many configurations are not an option with the different ratios/straps available on different boards.

Cheers in advance as this will not be a one liner reply.
    Last edited by Deano_20802; 06-22-2009 at 12:02 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

5:4 is 2.50A on the 266 strap

Sorry for the short reply as I am on my way out the door, but as for what you should use only you can decide really. I would test all of the options you mention in benchmarks and see which performs the best for your setup

2.50A, I thought only B/D straps should be used for a 333MHZ - 450MHZ FSB so I didn't even look at A or C straps. Would it be ok to try that then or only stick with B or D?

If I can, should the strap be set BEFORE the FSB increases or can I try different straps from 445mhz without fear of over straining the NB?

I planned to just test a heap of settings anyway, I'll make a start shortly and let you know what I find when it's done... Or if I hit any walls.

Cheers.

Hey there,

FYI it was this thread of yours that got me started: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f58/2-00...arision-31656/

Anyway, I'm making good progress, I'm on 400MHZ (well 398) with RAM at 2.50A giving 1000MHZ and tRD of 7! That's right, last time with B and D straps I couldn't get below 8 even on much lower FSB so that's great. I'm also on a much lower NB voltage of +0.175V and only FSB +0.05V!

So far so good, I'll start benching from here, wind things up as far as I can, try different settings etc and let you know the final outcome.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Deano_20802; 06-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Update time!

I'm going to leave it on 400mhz with tRD of 7, it seems really responsive and the volts are nice and low - even if temps are not so low.

What was weird was even on tRD of 9 and loose RAM etc I couldn't even get 425mhz+ stable, no amount of tweaking would do it, I'm not sure why given previous efforts but it doesn't matter now, I'll stay on these settings.

Cheers again,
    Deano.

Default OC settings

Hi!

Can you post here the new BIOS configuration?
    I have GA-X48-DS5 with 8GB & Q9450 and i want to try to OC!

Hi again, Deano!
    What is the BIOS version? I tray 7 but in Prime95 the PC is stable only for 7 min! and the coretemp show me 70-72C.

LSDMEASAP - On the current settings the Static tRead Phase Adjust sets itself to 1, on all other setting it's 0, is this ok? There is no manual setting for 0, what sort of impact will a setting of 1 have (This helps best understand what it does: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3190&p=12) I take it that 1 will counter my tRD of 7 making it redundant, might have to stick with 8 hey?

VALENTINMM - I didn't see your post above, I sure can, give me a bit and I'll get it up ok.
    Last edited by Deano_20802; 07-01-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valentinmm View Post
    Hi!

Can you post here the new BIOS configuration?
    I have GA-X48-DS5 with 8GB & Q9450 and i want to try to OC!
    Quote Originally Posted by valentinmm View Post
    Hi again, Deano!
    What is the BIOS version? I tray 7 but in Prime95 the PC is stable only for 7 min! and the coretemp show me 70-72C.
    Although tRD of 7 was fully stable according to all the tests (even IBT) the system behaved laggy and wierd when it was set, and the ONLY way I could get it was to run 399MHZ and 2.50A strap (5:4).

I have finished my testing and it's the first core on my CPU holding everything back, mobo even with 8GB is good for 450MHZ 24/7 but by even 3.4GHZ the CPU needs CRAZY high volts (for 24/7 use) and tRD of 7 is not an option, so I've found my perfect compramise.

I'm on 420MHZ giving 3.36GHZ CPU, 1700MHZ FSB, 2.40B Strap giving 1008MHZ RAM and tRD of 8. If feels great all round so I'll stay here.

I'll post up ALL the other settings including voltages tomorrow when I've finished getting them as low as I can, it's only early but it's +0.10V FSB, +0.225V MCH, 1.3500V CPU, but as I said they are coming down as we speak, I test fully after each drop.

If your serious about the OC download IBT and Memtest 86+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information