Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Perennial Problem installing windows xp

Default Perennial Problem installing windows xp

Hi, I've been trying to install a clean copy of Windows XP Pro (upgrade disk) on the EP45-UD3R, but everytime I do it just keeps giving me a BSOD screen saying at the end of it "pci.sys" and them some code/numbers after that. I can install Vista with no problems, but why can't I install XP? Please help. I pretty frustrated. I just upgraded to this new motherboard. I've tried loading fail-safe defaults in the BIOS and switching video cards as the BSOD suggested. What could be the problem? I would greatly appreciate some help as I do not want my money to be wasted. Thanks a bunch, Gigabyte.

Default Re: Perennial Problem installing windows xp

The problem is that you are using a pre SP2 version of XP that does not support PCI Express.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    The problem is that you are using a pre SP2 version of XP that does not support PCI Express.
    +1 ^^^

XP install disk must be SP1 or greater to install on a PCI-E system

Smile Re: Perennial Problem installing windows xp

Thanks for the response. Can you please give some directions as to how to go about creating such a disk or maybe links to sites that can show me how? I have as I said an upgrade (original) disk of XP professional. I also have SP1 and SP2 disks. Very much appreciated.

flyfisher is offline Member

I don't know if this works with upgrade disks, but here goes... how to slipstream a service pack:

1. Create a source folder and name it XPCD, for example, at the root of your hard drive, C:\XPCD.

2. Copy the contents of your CD to this folder.

3. Create a folder and name it SP2, for example, at the root of your hard drive, C:\SP2.

4. Place your SP2 CD in your CD-ROM. Check the filename of the executable file for the service pack.

5. Extract the service pack file to the C:\SP2 folder. Click Start > Run, then type "X:\filename -x:C:\SP2" (without the quotes, X:\ is your CD-ROM drive, replace filename with the executable name) and press enter. You will see a window called "extracting files" with a progress bar. When the extraction is complete click OK.

6. Slipstream the extracted files into the source. Click Start > Run, then type
    "C:\SP2\i386\update\update.exe -s:C:\XPCD" (without the quotes) and press enter. You will see a window indicating that your Windows share is being updated. When it is done click OK.

7. Create a bootable iso image and burn to CD. If you need instructions for this give a holler.
    Last edited by flyfisher; 01-07-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Smile Re: Perennial Problem installing windows xp

Thanks flyfisher and Gigabyte. Will try today. Let u know what happens.

Success!! Thanks for the nLite solution--very easy. Thanks for all the help everyone who replied.

Nice to hear you got it all slipstreamed and installed without issues! Post back anytime if you need some more help with anything!

Thread Information