Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

Default Re: New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

I don't believe you should need both PSII and USB plugged in. One or the other should suffice. That said .... you could try again with only one or the other plug connected (and then try in other plug) but might be best to just try different keyboard altogether to eliminate it from the equation totaly.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

This is a brand new OEM XP Home Edition SP3 from Newegg....

re certain keys not working, this was during the Windows setup...I could use Esc, Enter and arrow keys (no chance to use full keyboard w/no OS yet) but simply received no response w/the F3 and F6 keys during the install.

BTW, that reminded me...this keyboard (Elements brand) sent to me from emachines did come w/a driver support disk so perhaps without specific drivers, the keyboard is hit and miss....?

The keyboard is plugged in correctly and in the proper location, but I can try it w/o the USB plug connected.

I am not using a floppy drive, only the devices in the first thread, which is only a DVD drive and SATA HDD, if that helps.

Memory is still looking good w/nearly 7 passes and no errors so at least I shouldn't have to worry about RMA'ing the memory. I hate returns

I'm going to let if finish the 10 runs that is recommended per this forum and then check the keyboard.

Thanks for the support...I'm not giving up....
    Last edited by aggiefan; 01-07-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please try it using only the PS/2 connection as sometimes USB Keyboards wont work in the BIOS, or in windows without the drive as you mentioned

Well, no floppy is why F6 is not working for you. F6 Drivers can ONLY be loaded from a floppy. So you will need to dig one up or borrow or buy one if you need to load a F6 Driver

Gotcha...didn't realize that. It should be possible to install XP Home Edition SP3 without a floppy drive if BIOS recognizes the SATA HDD properly though?

I've done XP repairs,etc for friends in the past and installs on existing setups but never had any trouble.

YA, it should as long as you are do not have AHCI or RAID set in the BIOS.

I must admit i didn't consider the keyboard because I always assume (my bad) that the basics are almost always covered in these threads. The "lockups" at certain parts of the install procedure were reminscent of the PC just locking up anyway due to hardware problems, namely memory related.

I did note the OP has SP3 and no AHCI/Raid had been selected , so it should have been plain sailing, straight from the outset..
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Well fellas, something has changed. USB made no difference (tried all front and rear inputs) so I plugged the PS/2 plug back in. Still nothing but it seems I hit a combo or something (basically was just trying anything to get a response), it might have been Ctrl F8 (though IIRC, I tried that before)...

Anyway, it worked and I'm now at the disk partition setup screen..

BTW, should I setup a partition or just install XP on the 'unpartitioned space' which is 238GB (of 250GB?)

Thanks for the rapid fire responses

Jeremy

Create one large partition unless you want more then one, then install to that. Since this is a new disk you can use Quick Format if you like

Glad to see you are now getting somewhere!!

Thanks, I just couldn't remember if there were any distinct advantages to creating a separate partition.....re the keyboard, it's like working on anything else-You're glad whatever worked did work but uneasy about not knowing why....

Is it plugged in via PS/2 now? If so, that is likely what fixed it as it may be unsupported without it's driver within the BIOS with it connected Via USB

All up to you if you need more then one parition, you can always make more later anyway if you like

Just be sure to choose NTFS when choosing type

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information