Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

Default Re: New desktop freezes during XP Home SP3 install

Yes, after trying all USB ports (w/the PS/2 unplugged), I removed the USB plug and plugged the PS/2 cord back in.

I did not reboot, simply kept trying keys/combinations until something worked.

I'm almost positive I hit Ctrl F8 and also F8 intermittently with no success but somehow something finally worked.

Yay! (for now)

Glad to hear it worked! For future reference ... you really shouldn't plug/unplug from the PSI/2 port when the machine is alive.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I know but I was getting impatient....You'd likely cringe if you saw me in my office, in socks, standing on a plush rug working w/no wrist strap

Jeremy

Do you run with scissors too??? LOL. Yup been there, done that. Just figured I'd point out that there was a risk.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

No, you're definitely right....Hopefully I'll be able to finish the install later tonight and thanks for your troubleshooting skills as well...

Well barring any future screwups my yours truly, Windows XP just installed and is working fine, except for the graphics settings being off to the point that Ray Charles could read the text right now....

A HUGE round of thanks and appreciation for everyone's patience and support for a new guy....I've really missed building and tweaking, not having built one since I was about 14 (when Word Perfect was THE word processor). I just can't believe all of this was because of the KEYBOARD!!

This is just the beginning and look forward to catching up quickly and being able to return the contribution.

Next setup I build won't be completed on the living room carpet....j/k Prairie Dawg, even I don't go that far, anymore:)

See ya round

Back sooner than I thought

EDIT: I didn't know why no music was playing after the new build but realized that I needed the drivers from the Gigabyte CD for HD sound. Works now:)

One last thing, should I do the suggested 'express install' of the entire package on the driver CD or could some things possibly cause instability?

Thank you much

Jeremy
    Last edited by aggiefan; 01-08-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

No, dont use express install, please install only the drivers you need. Or download them from the driver page for your board, so you get the latest >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-G31M-ES2L (rev. 1.x)

Express install will install Drivers you dont need/use that may mess your system up, like the gigabyte raid drivers for example get installed on some boards that do not need them. I dont think that is a issue for your board, but not sure what all drivers are on your disk as many do not use that board

Thank you sir, I'm glad I waited to confirm that....

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information