Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: No OC and too hot! E5200 + EP45-UD3P + Arctic 7

Default No OC and too hot! E5200 + EP45-UD3P + Arctic 7

I'm starting to doubt my installation abilities now, but here goes:

I use speedfan to check temps, bad idea?

Stock @2.5: Cores:44-Idle 48-Load

OC @3.3: Cores 44-Idle 58-Load

I didn't use too much paste (AS5), I even reapplied to make sure. Anyone else seen these kind of high temps on idle and load with no OC and Arctic 7?
    Last edited by Alkora; 01-08-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Default Re: No OC and too hot! E5200 + EP45-UD3P + Arctic 7

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my case has good airflow. Two exhaust fans by the CPU and plenty of input from the front of the case.

Other information:
    Case: Antec P182
    Exhaust Fans - 2 120MM
    Input Fan - 1 120MM
    CPU - Intel E5200
    Cooler - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) - 4-4-4-12
    Video - ASUS ATI 4850 w/ Zalman VF1000 Cooler
    HD - 4 SATA - 2 in Raid0
    Power - OCZ 700W (OCZ700MXSP)
    Additionals: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Pro
    IDE DVD-RW
    Last edited by Alkora; 01-08-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Fixed Wording

I'm not really familiar with those particular processors but it could be the stuck temp sensors that are very common on the E8XX chips. My E8500, for example, never reads lower than 45. And at load with LinX will hit 64. 58 at load doesn't sound too hot to me but again I'm far from an expert on what your chip should hit. From what I've read, It is a well known issue with these sensors that they are designed to be accurate at load temps in order to protect the chip from themal damage. The sensors were not designed to measure accurate idle temps because the designers really don't care about chip temps at idle.

try coretemp or realtemp

are you using the stock cooler or after market

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I am using core temp now, and seeing better results. It is an aftermarket cooler, as posted above, the AC Freezer 7 Pro.

Is yours one of the Arctic Coolers that has a 4 pin pwm 92mmm fan? If it is and the Bios is setup to Auto speed, I find that with even the stock fan that when temps increase to the 55-60C area, that the fan then attempts to keep them in that range.

For instance the stock fan will go from 800-2500RPM. When my CPU starts to hit 57C, it'll ramp up to around 2000rpm, but won't go faster than that unless I overclock more or the ambient temperature is higher.
    So basically Intel & Gigabyte have balanced noise vs heat. So what you Cooler May be doing (especially if you have fitted it correctly) is just "capping" the temperature level, rather than dropping to a much cooler level.

Of course to prove a point, you should be able (although I'm not familiar with the P45 bios) to have the 4 pin pwm fan (if it is that type) "Flat Out". That would indicate the efficiency of the Cooler and its installation.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

VorLonUK

These would be his BIOS settings, so I think CPU Smart Fan Control Disabled would do the "Flat Out" thing you mean right? Full speed

CPU Smart FAN Control

Enables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Auto lets the BIOS decide whether to enable this function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to run at different speed according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system requirements. If disabled, CPU fan runs at full speed. (Default: Auto)

CPU Smart FAN Mode

Specifies how to control CPU fan speed. This item is configurable only if CPU Smart FAN Control is set to Disabled or Auto. Auto Lets BIOS autodetect the type of CPU fan installed and sets the optimal CPU fan control mode. (Default)

Voltage Sets Voltage mode for a 3-pin CPU fan.

PWM Sets PWM mode for a 4-pin CPU fan.
    Note: The Voltage mode can be set for a 3-pin CPU fan or a 4-pin CPU fan. However, for a 4-pin CPU fan that is not designed following Intel PWM fan specifications, selecting PWM mode may not effectively reduce the fan speed.

Thread Information