Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UD3P; Migrate existing drive to Raid 0

Default UD3P; Migrate existing drive to Raid 0

Running Vista64 on a UD3P, VelociRaptor 300. I have another Raptor 300 on the way and want to set them up in Raid 0. I am under the impression that I can use the Intel Matrix Storage Console to do this (from Vista), without reinstalling the OS. I originally set the MB up with AHCI.

I wanted to investigate doing this before I get the new Raptor; When I open up the Console, I noticed that there is no action to create an array (I have another, existing drive for work files, etc, so I thought I would be simulating what I plan to do when the Raptor arrives), just something about rescan for peripherals, etc- I'm typing this on another computer....

Anyways, I figured that maybe I have to change the BIOS choice to Raid instead of AHCI and then the Console would give me the Create An Array choice in the Action tab. Problem is once the Bios is changed Vista won't boot. As an aside, I did not go into the Raid configuration menu; I figured I'd try that once I plug in the new drive.

What I was wondering is, short of reinstalling a fresh copy of Vista, is if this migration is possible?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: UD3P; Migrate existing drive to Raid 0

I do not think you can do that with Onboard RAID controllers, let me have a look at the Intel Manual about this and I will post back

Ya, you would need to set RAID In the BIOS, then go into the RAID ROM to investigate. To do that set the Option in the BIOS for RAID then hit Control + I at bootup and you will go into the Intel RAID ROM and then see your options

It may or may not be, let me read the guide real quick and I will post back

Do you have the Intel Matrix Storage Manager installed? If not, install it as I see this >>>

OPTIONS AVAILABLE FROM THE ACTIONS MENU

Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive

Use this creation option when you want to preserve data on an existing hard drive and copy that data to one or more additional hard drives. This creation method, called migration, may take a few hours depending on the hard drive capacity and system workload. Once you complete the wizard, a dialog will appear that shows the migration progress. To reopen the dialog at any point during the migration process, right-click on the migrating volume and select 'Show Migration Progress'. Only one migration process can take place at a time. If you want to convert more than one data drive to a RAID volume, you must convert them one at a time. Note that for encryption enabled systems, at least two non-RAID hard drives with identical encryption states must be available to launch the wizard and to create a RAID volume.
    CREATE A RAID VOLUME FROM A RAID-READY SYSTEM
    A RAID-ready system is configured with the Serial ATA controller set to RAID mode and with at least one hard drive with no RAID volumes (a pass-through drive). The operating system must have Intel® Matrix Storage Manager installed. The following RAID configurations are possible (refer to Table 2 of this help file to determine which RAID levels are supported by your system):

* RAID Ready to a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6-drive RAID 0
    * RAID Ready to a 2-drive RAID 1
    * RAID Ready to a 3, 4, 5 or 6-drive RAID 5
    * RAID Ready to a 4-drive RAID 10

Follow the steps below to convert the system to a RAID system by migrating data from the existing system drive to a RAID volume.

1. Note the serial number of the hard drive that you want to migrate the data from and ensure that it is connected to the system. You will need the serial number later in the procedure to identify this drive as the source drive.
    2. Connect the additional Serial ATA hard drives to be used as the volume's member drives to the system. Note that these hard drives will need to have a capacity equal to or greater than the capacity of the source hard drive.
    3. Start Microsoft Windows* and launch the Intel Matrix Storage Console.
    4. Select 'Advanced Mode' from the 'View' menu.
    5. Select 'Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive' from the 'Actions' menu. The 'Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard' will launch.
    6. Follow the instructions throughout the wizard. The migration will begin once the wizard is completed.
    7. To view the migration status, right-click on the volume name in the device pane and select 'Show Migration Progress'. A tray icon message will pop up when the migration is complete and the volume's 'Status' will display 'Normal' in the information pane.
    8. After the migration is complete, restart the system. If you migrated to a RAID 0 volume, use the Microsoft Windows Disk Management utility to partition and format the empty space created when the two hard drive capacities were combined. You can also use third-party software to extend any existing partitions within the RAID volume.

If you have a single, non-system hard drive that contains program or personal data, you can use the migration feature to use this hard drive as the source drive for a RAID volume.
    http://support.intel.com/support/go/imsm/kb.htm

Then you could test if you have that option in it or not, but then again it may not work without the BIOS being set to RAID Already as it says to do. So not sure how that would work. But I think once you install the Matrix software it installs and updates your RAID And AHCI drivers, so with that driver installed with the program it may boot thru alright with RAID Set in the BIOS once you install it

Here is the download incase you do not have it already >>
    Download Search Results!

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Anyways, I figured that maybe I have to change the BIOS choice to Raid instead of AHCI and then the Console would give me the Create An Array choice in the Action tab. Problem is once the Bios is changed Vista won't boot.
    The most logical (but not necessarily true) explanation is that the AHCI mode and RAID mode present "different" hardware to the Vista, and since Vista has installed driver only for one (AHCI), it does not start with another (RAID). If this is the case, then one should be able to mimic the "How to enable AHCI after installation"-procedure. You con the Vista to install the RAID driver while still in AHCI mode, and when you have to reboot to activate the new driver, you change mode to RAID in BIOS. But I have no idea whether one can con Vista like that. And there is no point trying, if the Intel Storage Matrix does not support the JBOD to stripe migration. So either wait for Lsdmeasap, or dig up the Intel Manual.

Edit: As usual, Lsdmeasap is faster than ...
    Last edited by mv2devnull; 01-08-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Ya, still unsure how possible it is, even after reading the help file and the manual. It looks clear and easy, yet very foggy at the same time... So just still not sure really?

Help file I got that info from, from the matrix Program. Manual can be downloaded here >>>
    http://download.intel.com/support/ch...b/manual70.pdf

<<Ya, still unsure how possible it is, even after reading the help file and the manual. It looks clear and easy, yet very foggy at the same time... >>

That was my thought, also. I installed The Intel Console (its on the Gigabyte Install Disk) when I put the system together. The Help file is pretty straightforward in that migration is possible, but like I said, there is no "'Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive' from the 'Actions' menu" when I open the console (I'm assuming a change to Raid in Bios may trigger this)....
    Once, I get the new Raptor (Friday), I will make a more thorough attempt on the migration. I only have the OS on the existing Raptor now, so its no big deal to just reformat and start over again and set up Raid on the two installed disks. I'll update the forum later if I'm successful with the original migration process (It may help others)...

Well, just an update about my Raid migration attempt (with Intel Storage Matrix Console). When I went into the Raid Configuration Utility, and chose create raid volume, naturally it indicated that all existing data would be erased, etc.

So, I disabled Raid, AHCI adapter in the Bios, went into Vista and opened the Matrix Console, it was just showing IDE configuration; there was no choice to create a raid volume ( just as there wasn't when I had ACHI chosen, initially)....
    Anyways, I didn't have a lot of time to research for a solution (had to get back to work-MS Access development), so I just did a fresh install.

I am just surprised that I colud not migrate my existing OS (even though that was my initial thought ) after reading the Intel Matrix Manager help files (and Intel website). I also had seen a web article detailing the whole process and it seemed straightforward. Why there was no choice to create a raid volume in the Action menu is perplexing. I would assume that during inital install, the raid driver didn't make it into the OS files (seeing that my choice then was AHCI). I usually feel more comfortable with a fresh install anyways when I go for these "bleeding edge" changes.

Thanks for posting back! Sorry to hear you had to do a clean install, it is best anyway.

Ya, it does look possible from the manual/Guide, just not sure how one would go about it and your attempt makes me question the manual for sure. Shoot off a email to Intel about that for giggles and see what they say.

Almost a week later, I am gussing that you did a full re-install. Just wanted to let everyone out there there stumbles across the tread that I am currently in the process of "Migrating to a Raid 0" configuration. As noted above, according to Matrix Storgage Console, under "Actions-->Create Raid Volume from Existing Hard Drive" this should maintain my OS and the precious time needed to reinstall.

Approximatly 7 hrs to go and counting. My only question out there would be will my bios RAID controller recognize the raid or is simply a soft install. If that is the case, I will probably blow it away and reinstall but worth the test.

I wil keep everyone informed of the progress.

I've used matrix raid foer a couple of years , I find the easiest way to add a HD or update my array is to have a 2nd xp or vista installation on another drive. Use Acronis backup software and recovery services in UK. Complete hard disk drive copy, cloning and image backup software: computer files and disk copying or something similar to create an image of your existing OS, you can do this from either OS.
    Boot up from the seperate OS & run Matrix raid manager to configure your raid, create your stripes. Then use Acronis to restore the image onto new or updated raid.

The spare OS doubles up as a lifeboat if your raid goes pear shaped & means downtime is minimal , provided you've been running those image backups, which of course you have :lol:
    Gigabyte X48T DQ6, E8400, 2GB CellShock DDR3 PC3-15000 1866MHz, 8800 GTS, 4x80Gb Matrix Raid + 2x 500gb , Lian V2000+, wter cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information