Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: To throttle or not?

Question To throttle or not?

I often see recommendations in these forums to disable EIST control and other power savings options when overclocking. Is this generally the best thing to do? I ask because there are times I leave my PC on and go do other things. With the PC idle, shouldn't I let it reduce power/stepping/voltages to save energy and perhaps prolong system life? Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Also, what's this I hear about overclocked systems not liking coming out of sleep mode? I can't say I use sleep mode or hibernation at all, but I get nervous when I hear about issues with sleep/hbernation. I once lost a Windows 98 machine to a failed wake from hibernation fiasco.

Thanks!

-- Outer Marker

Default Re: To throttle or not?

bump

Yes, once overclocking, disabling them is generally the best thing to do.

Sleep mode with overclocking, I have no such problems. Maybe if your overclock is unstable yes, but with a stable overclocked system, no.
    Nothing is impossible... Just mathematically improbable..

"The best defense against computer viruses might not even be antivirus software, but a crafty combination of education and common sense."

Intel Pentium e5200 @ 3.8HZ (380 X 10)
    Giga-byte GA-EP35-DS3L
    Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 @ 760MHZ 4-4-3-10 @ +0.3v
    SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    Seagate 160GB @ 7200rpm
    SB Audigy2
    Corsair 520HX
    Super Antec Lanboy
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM
    Acer AL2216Wbd 22"

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

EIST and C1E will change voltages and Multi's thus making stable overclocks unstable, that is why you see the suggestions.

If you want to use them, you can of course try to spend days/weeks finding a spot where all voltages work when throttled if you have the time. But it is counterproductive if you are a overclocker for sure. You can try using DES Advanced with your overclock, that will cut the power phases on your board, but that is hard to keep stable at high clocks too

S3 Sleep is what some users have issues with, those users would be those who cannot get their system stable regardless or have not updated to the latest BIOS. Most all S3 issues are fixed for most boards, I think X58 S3 fix is still in the works though

What board do you have

Thank you for this information. I have a GA-EP45-UD3R which I am just fiishing build at stock speeds. I will be using your recommendations for a 3.6 overclock of a E8400 E0:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/advi...r-e8400-29568/

In fact, another recommendation i see is to disable legacy USB support. Unfortunately, I don't have a floppy drive in my rig, so if I need to flash BIOS, I would like to have this enabled.

Perhaps I should only enable it when I need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Marker View Post
    Perhaps I should only enable it when I need it?
    On my P board I have not had any issues with leaving it enabled, but have seen others have issues. So depends if your has issues or not. But leaving it disabled then only enabling it when you need to flash is fine. Also when flashing I never recommend flashing when OC'd, I just load optimized defaults(as long as those are stable) up the Dram V back to what I need and then flash, load optimized again with Dram V and exit, then load whatever you want.

As far as the power saving stuff, I always use it. Best way is to start with it disabled then test your OC. Once your OC is stable turn it on again, then lock it at the low power state(6 multi x FSB) in windows, then retest stability. If it fails then you have a decision to make if it passes you should be fine to leave throttling on. The way mine is set up is so that it stays in low power (6x420, 2520 @~.9v) at all times for the "power saver" under Vista 64, then the medium one throttles and full power is 9x at all times. So when I go to play a game I switch to full power and clock my GPU also with Rivatuner launcher, then play. When I'm done and just on the internet I switch back to low power
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 01-10-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Yes, you have the same philosophy as I do... save some power. I am running Windows XP Pro 32-bit so I won't have the granularity in power options that you have at the OS level, but I will experiment in the BIOS.

You can use RMclock(free) as thats what I use on my old AMD setup in XP, I tried it with my new setup but couldnt do more than Vista so I gave it up. It does work well and you can adjust voltages at each multi, choose to let it throttle or just stay at low power or full power settings
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Thread Information