Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R & OCZ2RPR10664GK couldn't run at 1066 MHz, so overclocked to 1120 MHz !

Default GA-EP45-UD3R & OCZ2RPR10664GK couldn't run at 1066 MHz, so overclocked to 1120 MHz !

I am facing a problem very similar to the one reported by lots of other users in this forum

OCZ part number:-OCZ2RPR10664GK
    Module size and kit size:-2 x 2 GB
    CPU model and rated speed:-E8500, 3.16GHz
    Overclocked CPU speed:-4 GHz
    Divider and FSB used:-420 MHz
    Motherboard and revision:-GA-EP45-UD3R, rev 1.0
    Motherboard Bios rev:-F5
    Video card:-EVGA Geforce 260 216
    Power supply:-OCZ GameXStream, 700W
    Operating System:-Vista 64 bit Sp1
    CPU and System Cooling:-Thermaltake V1

1) Both sticks of ram have passed memtest, and successfully run at 1066 MHz by themselves.
    2) 2 x 2 gb config runs successfully at 800 MHz and 5-5-5-15 timings at 2.1 V.
    3) 2 x 2 gb refuses to run at 1066 MHz even despite relaxing the timings to 5-5-5-18 and tinkering around with all sorts of memory voltages, moving around the rams in 1-3 , 2-4 positions etc.
    4) Tried running at 400 MHz fsb, and 2.66B memory divider to achieve 1064 MHz, but that too didn't work.

Finally, got tired and increased the FSB from 333 to 425 MHz to get as close as possible to 1066 MHz used memory divider of 2.4, and got the system running stably at 1020 MHz . I have no idea whats stopping it from running at 1066 MHz.

Trawled through a lot of forums online, and I just decided to run the entire system overclocked. After a lot of trial and error, right now I am running the CPU at 3.99 GHz (420 x 9.5 ) and the memory at 1120 MHz using the 2.66C multiplier. Finished playing Mass Effect in its entirety without any problems. But haven't actually tested the memory with Memtest (too scared that it will turn up some errors, and then I might have to change some settings making system unstable all over again !! ). The system has passed 1 hour of LINPACK without any problem.

In the OCZ memory forum, one of the members suggested to try the C memory multiplier, and it seems to be working. The system just refused to run at B for anything greater than 800 MHz.

These are my current settings.
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3.99 (420 * 9.5)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 420 Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 100
    C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.66C
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1120
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................4
    tWTR..........................................6
    tWR............................................8
    tRFC...........................................54
    tRTP...........................................5
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................1066

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:9
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.25
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Auto
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << 1.450
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.26
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Auto
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.57
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.2

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.2
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Auto

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

I wanted to know, if these are the optimal values ?
    Last edited by rajnel; 01-09-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R & OCZ2RPR10664GK couldn't run at 1066 MHz, so overclocked to 1120 MH

Memtest gives errors ! :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R & OCZ2RPR10664GK couldn't run at 1066 MHz, so overclocked to 1120 MH

I would add some Vtt as this controls MCH Ref voltages. Try 1.24-1.28

still not working ! i set the CPU Termination = 1.26 V , Memtest still gives errors !

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Try less MCH then with that same VTT range testing. And your best bet would be to get off that C multi. D would be most stable, but B will likely work

I reduced the CPU host frequency to 400 MHz, and used 2.66D for 1066 MHz memory and x9 for 3.6 GHz cpu and used 5-5-5-18 timings.

The pc refused to boot, and then started running into start-up -- shut-down loops, which for some reason didn't show up on my display !!! ( would be helpful if someone could shed some light on this ) .

Then went back to 2.66C , kept all the settings the same... pc booted successfully, ran Memtest for 7 hours without any errors !!

No idea why 2.66B (failed the first I had tried it ) and 2.66D refuse to run !!

Now I need help to overclock my memory or at the very least tighten all the timings .

hey i guess you might have seen my post over at the OCZ forums. The problem with this board is most annoying, but I have just worked around it.

You could try returning the board for a new one, I believe there is a 1.1 revision out that may have fixed the problem.

here are my findings, also don't let people tell you that some dividers will work better than others if they don't have this problem themselves with the ud3r.

---Use the A or C divider if you wish to run the memory at 1066 or above (this ram seems to max out at around 1100 unless you really relax timings)

---The B divider won't go any higher than 1042 mhz, which is why the system won't boot on default settings in dual channel mode

---The D divider is completely busted and I think it maxes out at around 950 mhz or so

this really limits your options when overclocking, but at least you have an e8500 with a 9.5 multi... also remember if it is performance you are looking for, you are much better off with overclocking your cpu than trying to get the ram higher. It's very annoying with this board that when you set it to something it doesn't like, it will keep rebooting because the default settings won't boot, when that happens, I have to open up the case and pull a stick of ram out. then it boots up ok

right now I am using the 2.00B divider with my e8400 to see how high it will go. it is stable now at 4185mhz (9 x 465) at 1.28v and 930mhz on the ram. Another thing I dont like about this board though is that I have to set the Cpu Termination voltage pretty high (1.48v right now) to get above 4ghz, although the CPU PLL doesn't seem to do much and I have that pretty low. We'll see how long this thing lasts, at least temps are great, highest I've seen is 54 on both cores ( on air cooling)

Just to clarify, the start up- shut down loop it goes through is the dual bios thing kicking in. the only problem is that since the default settings aren't stable, it just won't boot. you have to turn off the power and take out 1 stick of ram to let it boot so you can change the settings, but you probably figured this out by now...

ohh... ok, thanks for the info abt the dual bios loop !! I have gotten so tired of removing and re-inserting the ram ! very frustrating !
    I had started to think that there was something wrong with the graphics card or something else!

right now the 2.66C multiplier seems to be working the best for me ! I increased the FSB to 420 MHz, and so the memory is running at 1120 MHz, 5-5-5-18. Passed memtest and OCCT-linpack for 6 hrs each without any problems.

I have my CPU termination voltage at auto, so no idea how high it is right now. But the temp. didn't cross 70C for linpack.. so things look good right now....

I hope Gigabyte releases a new bios too fix the 1066 MHz problem !! there are too many people being inconvenienced !!!

Thread Information