Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R and Vista (Business) Install

Default GA-EP45-UD3R and Vista (Business) Install

Specs:
    GA-EP45-UD3R, 4 GB GSkill RAM, Intel E8500 Wolfdale 3.16, Seagate 1TB SATA harddrive model ST310005N1A1AS-RK. More information can be provided if necessary.

This is not my first install/build but it has been very frustrating. I am trying to install Vista on a computer I built, but am having a hard time getting Vista to see the hard drive. I have tried loading all the drivers, I have tried loading just the ones in the manual, I have tried just loading the ones that look right, I have tried different BIOS settings, I have tried plugging it in to different ports and I have even tried different hard drives. The install should be straight forward. I want 1 SATA hard drive and and I want to install Vista on it.

The problem is after I boot off the CD-ROM, I keep getting the Windows is unable to determin any information about your drives. I have tried loading the drivers, but it still doesn't show up. I have tried to install the drivers off the CD and I have downloaded them from the website. If I go to the repair feature of the install, I can browse the computer and I can see the c: drive and I can format it there. I can get to the dos prompt and if I run diskpart, it shows up there as available. The only odd thing that I notice is that it shows 0MB free.

What is the driver that I need to install to get it running? What am I overlooking?

Fabucci

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R and Vista (Business) Install

You do not need to load any drivers if you are not setting up RAID. Vista has it's own AHCI Drivers and all other needed drivers.

Did you check and remove any jumper you may have on the back of your Drive? If not, please do so now.

Please plug your hard drive into the first Intel (Yellow) port on your board, that would be SATA_2 Port 0, and then if you have a SATA CD/DVD Drive plug it into the last Port on the same controller.

Then you would need to set these settings in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page >>>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Yellow Controller
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled (For NON RAID/AHIC Install)
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Purple Controller
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled (This ONLY needs to be enabled if you have something plugged into the Purple Ports, or use a IDE Device on the IDE Ribbon cable

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

I tried it with and without the jumpers on the back of the hard drive. The only jumper is to run at 1.5 or 3 GB (if not on).

My CD-ROM is Ide so it is plugged in to the ribbon cable.

Is it right to assume that if the BIOS can see the drive, then Vista should be able to see it? I don't have the computer here with me so I can't check these settings now, are these the same settings that you would see if you load the "Fail safe" BIOS settings?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Fabucci

Yes, I know which is why I said to remove the jumper.

No, I don't think those would be fail safe at all, nor should you use that. Load optimized then set things as you see above

Some disks need setup for first use, with your drive you would need to use Seagate DiskWizard if this is the case. You can check if it does need setup by plugging it into a working system and see if you can format it, if you can then it does not need setup. If you cannot format it then it would need setup with those tools, to be set active for first use

You are correct. Late Friday night I was able to figure it out, about 10 minutes before I formatted myself.

I had formatted it while in the Vista Setup (because you can see it in the browser, but not when you try to install Vista) and apparently Vista did not like that. I stuck it in a different system and it recognized it and I was able to shrink it to 1/2 the size. I tried it again and still did not work. (It would make too much sense for Vista to recognize a hard drive while installed as the 2nd drive in a computer and also during initial setup.) I finally loaded the Seagate tools and it was able to see it. I used the tools to delete the existing partitions and recreated them. Vista was finally able to see the hard drive and install.

Thanks for all of your help.

Fab.

Nice to see you finally got it working!!!

Sorry you had to go thru all that mess, but hey at least you gained some knowledge for next time you get a new drive!

Good luck with the rest of your setup/build

Thread Information