Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

Default Re: Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

It might be better to loadup a Linux disto, than to lose hair relearning W95, eh? I downloaded Mandriva 2009 last week, and will install it this week. I used it's previous version without problems. I've also used Ubuntu about a year ago, which was also a breeze. In fact, I've used a few other distros that have also connected to my little LAN with no setup at all. In your case, W95 might be the biggest hurdle to getting connected. If you haven't loaded a Linux recently, this'd be a good use for it.
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ubuntu work ok? How would it be easier, I mean with Drivers for the card wouldn't that only create new issues?

I guess I'm just not familiar with the immediate problem. Is there a driver issue, causing the connectivity issue? Does W95 have a Device Manager? Is there a yellow exclamation mark by the NIC? Did this machine ever have a successful connection to any LAN? What changed since then?

I don't mean to be too quick to change the OS, but if there's no sentimental value in that machine, why not? I mean, that OS is so obsolete it's kinda hard to place any value on it.

How old is the hardware? Is it a 486 machine with FP memory, or maybe an early Pentium with EDO memory? ATA33 controller on the mobo? I assume it's pre-AGP. Does it have PCI slots (just kiddin', ha)? I'm pretty lost, just kinda guessing at what it might be. If the legacy hardware is a constraint, then maybe you're right about keeping the old OS.

Ubuntu is too easy. ha Really! I kinda lean away from Debian and toward Fedora, so my preference is Mandriva. But either one is hands down better than W95, in every way. But they're going to have somewhat modern hardware requirements.
    Last edited by jfk&g; 01-14-2009 at 04:11 AM.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I guess I did not explain fully. Yes, there is device manager, all drivers are installed properly. But there is no connection to the internet, and there is no "Connect to" or "Network connections" folder in Win95 to be able to investigate further

I have yet to try to ping things, working on other projects right now.

Changing OS would not be a issue at all, I just really need it to print only. Actually thought about sticking XP on the PC just wanted to try to get it going without it first to be sure the PC itself can handle the hardware.

I will have to get back to you about what is actually in there as I am not sure. I can tell you it is a IBM Aptiva though

I may see how a Ubuntu Live disk will boot and see what happens in there? I can tell you several disks I tried to boot to would not Boot at all. Some would and some would not, funny thing is the Win95 is one that would not boot? So no way to reinstall that at all if things go wrong with a XP layover or clean install. Disk itself is fine as I booted to it on another machine

I had an IBM PS/1 back then. It came preloaded with Windows 3.0, which was a giant leap from DOS 5/6. There was no expansion slot for video on that mobo ... it had integrated 1mb video, so I was able to run 800x600 16bit on a 15" IBM Multisync monitor. It had a 253mb PIO HDD, and a single floppy device that would accept both 3.5 and 5.25 media. I eventually upgraded the 486DX2-66 cpu to a Kingston TurboChip 133, and pushed chips into the mobo to increase the CPU cashe memory, and also increased the Fast Page (FP) memory SIMMs from 4mb to 24mb.

I ran a small business office for five years on that box, from 1993-1998 (joined AOL in 94). We progressed from command line Sprint Mail to FAX machines, and eventually got our own T1 line with a CSU/DSU and router. Our LAN was 10Base2, using thinnet coax with BNC connections. Our 3COM 3C905 NICs were ISA cards. I never upgraded my OS to Windows for Workgroups, and I skipped Win95 altogether, jumping to a K6-2 350mHz machine with PCI slots, an AGP1 slot, PC100 memory, 6gb ATA33 HDD, and Win98fe in 1998.

My IBM PS/1 preceeded your IBM Aptiva. That's when transitions were made to Win95, PCI slots, and VESA slots before AGP. My PS/1 was a model 2155A-52C. If you can find a similar model number on your Aptiva, that might be enough to find a data sheet on the hardware.

But like I said, I have never owned a Win95 machine, and I can't really re-call any W95 experiences from the past. Our office machines were on the same LAN, but we had no file and printer sharing. We each had our own dot matrix printers back then, and sneakered floppies over to Wes's machine to use his nice laser printer when need be. W95 probably has file & printer sharing, but it's going to be very primitive.

ANYBODY ... have any experience with Windows 95 workgroup file & printer sharing?

hmmm ... now that I think deeper about it, it'll probably involve configuring a WINS server for each host on the LAN that wants to share files & printers, unless W95 supported DHCP ... I dunno.
    Last edited by jfk&g; 01-14-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Here's a link that shows how to install TCP/IP and configure DHCP on a Win95 machine. It also shows a File and Printer Sharing button. I've also read that W95 has an Add Printer wizard similar to W98, accessible through Control Panel.

DHCP and Windows 95/98/ME - UBC Information Technology
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Helpful post. Thanks for the help jfk&g. I have a strange problem that results in no internet connectivity and hopefully this will help.

I sent my MOBO in for an RMA after a bad BIOS flash. When I got it back, it has an x48 BIOS version F7 I believe. My board is an EX38-DQ6. They might have gotten confused because the board is stamped X48-DQ6.

Ever since I got it back I can't connect to the internet. Hopefully this will work and doesn't have to do with a completely wrong BIOS installed on my MOBO. Fingers are crossed.

Edit: Yep, simple as that. Just reset my modem and everything works great. Thanks again.
    Last edited by SpinachEater; 01-19-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information