Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

Question Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

I have a GA-P35-DS3L that came with an F7 bios. I have a Wolfdale CPU so I flashed to the F8 bios and now I can't connect to the internet. I found a similar thread on this forum through a Google search, but I thought my issue was different enough that I should start a separate thread.

I don't have a router, just a cable modem connected to the jack on the motherboard. The network icon on the taskbar shows a little red blip moving between the two computers, and when you hover the cursor over it it says it's trying to acquire a network address, which it fails to do. Then it shows a yellow exclamation point over it and says "This connection has limited or no connectivity." I clicked on the 'repair' option, and that fails because it says it can't renew the IP address.

I downloaded a diagnostic program from the Realtek site, but it didn't didn't find any issues, nor are any issues showing up in Device Manager, and I know it's not the cable. I don't think I have a MAC address issue, because pressing F9 while in the bios shows the same MAC address that's on the stricker on the motherboard. Apparently that was the issue with the other thread I referenced above.

I tried the ipconfig /release & /renew commands but that didn't work. I think I can see what the problem is, I just don't know what to do to fix it because I don't know anything about network stuff. It can't connect to the DHCP server, it just sits there until it times out. This is a copy & paste of the ipconfig commands I tried. Apparently the 169.254.x.x IP address is an internal Windows address that means the connection isn't working? Great, but what's my next step?

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : test-44349101
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7D-E5-B9-D9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled. . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address . . . : 169.254.252.106
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Where do I go from here? Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

Did you load optimized defaults after you flashed, if not please do so now (And always after a BIOS Flash) and then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS as you will need to set ALL Settings again, especially your SATA/Disk settings.

Then go into your Integrated Peripherals BIOS page and be sure Onboard LAN is enabled, that may be the only setting that is disabled now causing you issues.

How did you flash, and did you load optimized or no? Have you tried going back to F7 and verify that it works and if so try F8 again and verify that it does not? Try the above first and if no luck please try this.

You can/could also try updating the RealTek Lan drivers and Intel INF Chipset Drivers first to see if that helps any >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

Sorry, I should have provided more info in my initial post but I was running late and it slipped my mind. Yes, I loaded the optimized defaults after the flash (which was done with Q-Flash). I know LAN is enabled in the bios because I see the network adapter in Device Manager (and it says everything is working properly), and the drivers I was using before & after the flash are the ones you linked to in your reply.

There really wasn't much to change in the bios after the flash as I haven't tweaked it at all, other than turning off the logo screen and stuff I don't use, like the parallel and serial ports. This is a fresh unactivated XP installation on an IDE drive, so SATA was and has been disabled. I've been using the older IDE drive just to get XP installed and tweaked the way I want it. When I'm ready to install it for good I'll be using a SATA drive.

I've since gone back to the F7 bios and the problem remains. Any ideas? I'm not giving up yet, but how long is the warranty in the event I have to RMA?

Hi Ann Vill,

You're right. That Automatic Private IP Address (APIPA) 169.254.x.x is used when a DHCP client cannot connect to its DHCP server. APIPA is installed with the IP protocol, and provides basic connectivity with other APIPA clients on the same network segment when a DHCP server is not available. But, APIPA cannot detect the gateway or DNS server addresses, and cannot be routed without a translation table.

First, ping the loopback address to confirm that IP is configured properly on the client. At the command line, type ... ping 127.0.0.1 ... That being successful, you can dispell the idea of RMA'ing the motherboard.

Then, if a good ethernet cable is connected on both ends, the problem is with the DHCP server, which is likely a role of the cable modem. Do you have instructions of how to reset the modem? There may be a tiny button to depress for a few seconds during power-up. Or you may need to just unplug its power cord for a couple minutes. It really could be as simple as that.

Once you get it connected again, if you type ... ipconfig /all ... again, you should see that the DHCP server, the DNS server, and the default gateway are all the exact same address (the modem, should be able to ping, probably 192.168.0.1), and that the client address is now leased from a DHCP pool on that same network.

hth
    Gigabyte P35-S3G . 50mm Fan on MCH +0.2v
    Intel E6500 (9 x 420) 3780mHz 1.33125v
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Gigabyte HD4850 . Acer X223W . Acer X193W+
    Rosewill
    RP500-2 . WD WD3200AAJS . Masscool 8WA741

Thanks jfk&g!!

As for your RMA questions RMA to the place you bought it normally 30 days, Gigabyte RMA is valid for 3 years >>>
    Motherboards

All motherboards carry a 3 year limited warranty (First 2 years parts & labor, 3rd year parts only)

Thumbs up Re: Can't connect to internet after BIOS flash

I followed the instructions from jfk&g and I'm glad to say that everything is fixed.

The loopback ping was successful so I read through the manual for the cable modem. Everything pointed to me having to call my ISP, but then I saw where it said to reset the modem before calling. I did that, waited a couple minutes, and everything was fine. Flashed to the F8 bios again and everything still worked.

So thank you very much, jfk&g, your advice was spot on.

Edit: I'm curious about something (since as I said before, I know very little about network related things).... what happened that required me to have to reset the modem? It worked fine with the PC I had it hooked up to all along, but not with the PC I flashed the bios on. Then after I reset the modem it worked fine with that PC, but not the original one, so I reset it again and then it worked with the original one again.
    Last edited by Ann Vill; 01-12-2009 at 01:29 PM.

I'm thinking that the DHCP server (the cable modem) was still thinking that the IP address that it had leased to the MAC on your machine was still valid/reserved. Your attempt to release/renew from the client would have worked, except that you no longer had connectivity from the client side, because the BIOS flash scrubbed the previous DHCP settings. So, the server wasn't receiving the release command. The lease would have eventually expired on the server side anyway (after a week or so).
    Glad it worked! Here's a link to an article that describes how to configure the server side of DHCP on a Server 2003 machine. It's really kinda simple, which is why many network devices can provide the service on their network segment. Many network devices can also relay the lease negotiations on their segment to a central DHCP server (in a larger topology), to avoid IP duplications.
    Setting up a DHCP server in Windows 2003
    Here's a link that better shows how DHCP is actually negotiated.
    Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by jfk&g; 01-13-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

jfk&g, think maybe you can help me out.

Do you have any experience with Win95? I am trying to use a 10/100 Ethernet card (3Com) in a win95 machine and have it drivers installed and all looks to be correct but I have no clue about why it will not connect or where to start setting things up as Win95 is lost from my mind!

Any tips/guides about this?

ha ... Since 1989, Win95 & ME are the only two MS OS's that I've never, ever used! haha I remember loading TCP/IP in DOS from a set of 6 diskettes to get connected, which was back in 1993, I think. So I've got to assume that Win95 included TCP/IP, but I'm uncertain if DHCP was functioning then. We used 3COM 3c905 cards back then, and they were nice/stable.

Can you ping the loopback ... ping 127.0.0.1 ... that will confirm that the NIC is setup correctly on the local host.

What network device is it directly connected to ... switch, router, broadband modem, another PC? Note that older NIC's couldn't detect the neighboring device, so the proper cable must be used (patch vs crossover).

I'm starting a new class this morning, so I've got to go get wet right now. But keep this thread alive ... we'll figure it out.
    G.Skill 4x1GB
    PC2-6400-NQ
    840mHz +0.2v
    Rosewill

Ya, I think it may be DHCP and or TCP/IP issues. But I am so lost as I have not used win95 in years I haven't a clue as to where to start!

I will check about Ping tonight or tomorrow. What I am trying to use right now is a satellite. I can connect direct to it, or to a router

Any info you can provide about methods of testing or setting up any of the above would be great. if I can't get it I think I will just toss the PC, I was just trying to use it as a Printer gateway for our wireless. I would assume now that I said that I bring in a whole new world of Network/workgroup issues that only compound my thoughts of using this PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information