Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MA78GM S2HP v2.0 quirks after new install

Default MA78GM S2HP v2.0 quirks after new install

I just built a new system for a buddy, and have two problems with the rev 2.0 version of the board. I've used this gear in my old system a 1.1 board and it worked perfectly. The system works well otherwise.

The problems:

Immed after XP Pro sp1 install, with Express Install gigabyte CD installing drivers...

LAN not working. I plugged in direct from my cable modem and no signal ... same signal worked on my laptop a few seconds before and after.

DVD: When rebooting during Express Install, program did not restart. Had to open/close DVD drawer with disc still inside, and then EI continued.

DVD RAM not found until I go to check drivers, when Windows looks for sources it finds the DVD on it's own without being told it was missing ...

DVD is first boot option.

On POST, everything stops for 20 secs while BIOS seeks DVD drive as first boot option ...

System: AMD 64 x2 5000+ 2gb OCZ ram 800 mhz Hitachi 250 GB hdd IDE slave to DVD RAM IDE master Lite ON 20x, cheapo 350 PS that drove this gear fine before.

Problem MB: GA MA78GM S2HP v 2.0. This gear, ALL OF IT, worked with the 1.0 version of the board. Same OS install. I'm selling the gear to a friend, who I recommended the board to.

I can get a wireless connect with the driver for the USB card installed.

Right now I'm installing sp3 and will try to update drivers and see if that helps.
    AMD Phenom 9950
    Gigabyte GA MA78GM S2H v 1.0
    Corsair Dominator 4 gb 1066
    Nzxt Tempest
    WD Black 640 GB data disc
    OCZ SSD Core v2 30 GB OS program drive
    Windows XP Pro for now, changes

Default Re: MA78GM S2HP v2.0 quirks after new install

Ok, the DVD still works fine in my other build.

I tried to use cable select, didn't work.

Anyone see this problem before?
    AMD Phenom 9950
    Nzxt Tempest

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do not use express install as it will install RAID Drivers and such that are not needed.

Your Hard Drive should be master and be on the end of the Cable

Did you move your Hard Drive to the top of the Hard Disk Boot Priority in Advanced BIOS page?

Could've dosed you twenty years ago when it was my specialty ... today you're outta luck.

I don't know what happened, but I tried a different DVD burner and it was recognized just like it should be. Just plugged it in and started the computer with the same settings ... the other dvd burner works fine in its former home same board rev 1.0.

As curious as I am, this build is for someone else so I won't fiddle anymore and maybe screw it up.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Regarding the lan problem, anyone else see that before?
    AMD Phenom 9950
    Nzxt Tempest

Mmmmmmmmmm, sounds good! Ya, the good ole days were much better to me as well!!!

Hmmm, so maybe it was just kinda incompatible then? Not everything is compatible always that is for sure!

Do you have the LAN Enabled in the BIOS? IF so, test it's signal in the BIOS and see what it says. I dont know much about AMD, but I would assume you would need to install some chipset drivers and then your LAN Drivers and it should work. Did you install those drivers?

Problem solved, if not yet understood. Express Install supposedly installed the lan driver ... which failed somehow.

Microsoft update of all things installed the driver again and now it works?!?

Did I do too much of my own product?
    AMD Phenom 9950
    Nzxt Tempest

HAHA, you may have done to much!

I never use CD's that come with products as they drivers are almost always old and updated ones are always available direct

Great to hear you are in working order now

Thread Information