Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

the UD3P can control fans but you will need support software like speedfan,
    I also don't know why there isn't a option in the bios even if its only for a few fans.
    for speedfan to support speed control you have to go to "advanced" and set a parameter for the ITF chip from on/off to software controlled, or smart guardian(maybe cpu only?) the first PWM one is the cpu (so best to leave that one alone 2 and 3 are configurable)

-> PWM 1 mode : SmartGuardian <- this is the cpu port
    -> PWM 2 mode : ON/OFF <-- set to software controlled
    -> PWM 3 mode : ON/OFF <-- set to software controlled

i have successfully been able to control some fans (4pin connector, by the ide port) (front case fan),
    i haven't been able to get the back fans to control though and i haven't tested the port by the ATX connecter,
    it could just be a limitation of the current speedfan, or the system, but i do know some of the ports do have controls.,
    most likely the ones hooked to the IT8718F chip
    Last edited by hyakki; 01-18-2009 at 04:15 AM.

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

Question Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Quote Originally Posted by hyakki View Post
    the UD3P can control fans but you will need support software like speedfan,
    I also don't know why there isn't a option in the bios even if its only for a few fans.
    for speedfan to support speed control you have to go to "advanced" and set a parameter for the ITF chip from on/off to software controlled, or smart guardian(maybe cpu only?) the first PWM one is the cpu (so best to leave that one alone 2 and 3 are configurable)

-> PWM 1 mode : SmartGuardian <- this is the cpu port
    -> PWM 2 mode : ON/OFF <-- set to software controlled
    -> PWM 3 mode : ON/OFF <-- set to software controlled

i have successfully been able to control some fans (4pin connector, by the ide port) (front case fan),
    i haven't been able to get the back fans to control though and i haven't tested the port by the ATX connecter,
    it could just be a limitation of the current speedfan, or the system, but i do know some of the ports do have controls.,
    most likely the ones hooked to the IT8718F chip
    I don't see those options in the bios at all. Inside the bios I only see fan warning options and an option for CPU fan that is set to enable/disable. Don't see options for PWM.

the UD3P can control fans but you will need support software like speedfan.

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))

Which is a joke for those of us running Linux and believing the spec that the BIOS could control it properly.

I don't really understand how a brand new board needs a third party piece of software to control the fans. If the CPU fan can throttle with gigabytes software the rest should follow the same path imo.

Also has any figured out why that one PWM fan doesn't correctly power all the way?

i agree i was also fooled by the power managemnt and good fan control it said in the stats, i never thought only the CPU fan was controllable, they should allow the other "controllable" fans to be controlled through the bios, but apparently there isn't a option so speedfan is the only other way at this point (its better then nothing)..

and in linux there is also options fancontrol , <code>pwmconfig, </code><code>lm-sensors..etc i can't verify these with this board, but iv used them on other boards i own.

The circutry is there on these boards (at least on the 4pin connectors) but its up to gigabyte to add a option to the bios.
    </code>
    Last edited by hyakki; 01-22-2009 at 07:25 AM.

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+

I thought so long as a fan connected to the motherboard with 3 pins the motherboard would be able to drop the speed by dropping voltage to the fan.

PS I installed speedfan and set it to auto and the fans are not changing speeds.

My CPU fan is changing speed after I went into the bios and changed it to "voltage".
    Last edited by fcastro; 01-22-2009 at 08:42 AM.

like i said in speedfan you need to go to advanced and set the pwm value (fan speed wont work with on/off) after you change the pwm value, then you can test it by putting in a value for the fan try 0% and the fan conencted to it should stop .

When setting up Speedfan, please remember to set the fans to be controller by software. By default, fan 1 and fan 2 may be left to “SmartGuardian” mode, i.e. BIOS controlled.

In speedfan: Configure / Advanced,
    select chip IT8718F,
    set PWM2 and PWM3 to “software controlled” and check the “remember it” option for each of them.
    Last edited by hyakki; 01-22-2009 at 03:14 PM.

XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+

Cool Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

hyakki, so basically the only speed contrallable fan in the CPU fan and the SYS_FAN2 which are both 4 pin fans right?

I just tried what you suggested with Speedfan on the SYS_FAN1 and the PWR_FAN, which are both 3 pin, and had no speed change.

Well just found that we are not the only ones battling this issue with gigabyte boards!

GA-EP45-DS3R CPU Fan at Maximum Speed !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information