Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Quote Originally Posted by fcastro View Post
    hyakki, so basically the only speed contrallable fan in the CPU fan and the SYS_FAN2 which are both 4 pin fans right?

I just tried what you suggested with Speedfan on the SYS_FAN1 and the PWR_FAN, which are both 3 pin, and had no speed change.

i haven't tested all the pins but i think its only the 4 pin connectors sadly, what you could do is get a cable splitter and run two fans off the 4 pin one (as long as the fans aren't too powerful) and control them that way, althouhg i would assume the rpm reading would be weird..

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

Unfortunately, I am running 2 3pin Enermax Magma 120mm Computer Case Fans which weren't cheap at 20 bucks a pop.

only thing i can suggest is something like this
    Newegg.com - Link Depot 3 Pin Fan Power Y Cable Model POW-ADT-3PY - Cables

or you can get a seperate fan speed controller, is the safest bet since to much load on the motherboard can burn it out..

although its up to you to see how many watts / amps each fan draws , modern circuts are pretty strong so it should be able to handle two fans on the same pin (usually all the fan power circuits are shared anyways), i have used this cable for hooking up two sunon (very high power, KD1208PTBX 80x25mm, 3pin, 50.6cfm, 40.5dBA, 3900rpm, .36AMP, 4.3watts ) 80mm fans before without problems. (also can control speed) rpm can be messed up though since two fans are reporting rpms.

a normal 80mm bb fan is about 0.16A and maybe 1 watt, im not sure what 120mm are but if they are under .36A / 4.3 watts two should be ok, took a quick look at newegg and 120mm enermax seem to be inbetween 0.25 - 0.40A depending on the model

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=140
    Last edited by hyakki; 01-25-2009 at 09:46 AM.

GA-EP45-UD3P, Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz (SLB9Y)
    XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Hardrives (2 seagate (2x500G) sata-II, 4 maxtor,2x200G raid 0 sata, 1 -300G(pata), 1-200G(pata))
    OCZ SLI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel OCZ2N800SR4GK
    OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI

I'm new here and heck I haven't even received my board yet, but I'm thinking that if you used 2 identical fans which didn't draw too much amperage and Y-split them. One could clip the rpm sensor wire of just one of the fans to eliminate the dual sensory reporting.

If your adventurous you could do the same with the cpu fan header, though I would go by the standard Intel Spec Pin out on the header as the manual's pinout seems to be suspect. And I would only clip the wires on the Y-splitter extra fan side, not the actual cpu side. Though I'm not sure which sensor wire does what on the cpu header(as there are two) again I would double check with the official Intel specs. Maybe someone else knows what they are supposed to do.

I use 2 Akasa case fans, I just use a Y splitter (with 3 wires on each leg meeting at the female) with a 3.3V 1.3W zener diode (e.g RS # 812-336) on each red wire to drop the fan volts to just less than 9V (8.7V) - using a zener means it is always 8.7V irrespective of the fan used, whereas a resistor may only suit one fan type - you end up frigging around with resistor values.

Having a few zener values around is useful to accurately set the speed and airflow you need and no more. I have 2.7V, 3.3V, 3.9V and 4.7V around... and peace!

Cut one of the yellow wires so just one of the fans provides the tacho feed.

It's unfortunate that GBT can't get their SYS Fan control to work correctly - we wouldn't have to resort to this.
    Last edited by LanceH; 02-02-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsdmeasap View Post
    sys_fan2 connector needs any fan, with three or four wires (don't care) since the speed is controlled via on-board pwm controller that supply pulse-width-modulated 12v for the fan via pin 2.
    So, if using a four wire fan, its internal pwm is locked to full speed (this explain that fixed 5v on pin 4).
    This time, the mobo senses the north bridge (in my case the p35) temperature and will increase or decrease the speed of the fan connected in this socket. Feedback is sent to pin 3 for bios alarm purposes.
    From this it follows that any kind of fan (normal non pwm fan with 2 and 3 wires) connected to sys_fan2 can be controlled by software. Currently I have a 3 wire fan (with rpm sensing) and a 2 wire fan in parallel connected to sys_fan2. By default this is controlled by the bios and seems to be dependant from the system temperature (the rpm of the fans goes up when the system temperature goes up).

Also I was able to set the fan speed manually using Speedfan. In order to do this go to the Configure->Advanced dialog. Then select the IT8718 Chip and set "PWM 2 mode" to "Software controlled" and tick "remember it" and press ok. Then the speed of the connected fans will immediately go to max. Now the speed can be manually controlled with the Speed02 setting in the "Readings" dialog of speedfan.

It's also possible to set the CPU fan speed manually. On my board (EP45-DS3L) the speed of the CPU fan is shown as Fan1 however the speed is controlled by Speed03. For this to work "PWM 3 mode" has to be set to "Software controlled" in the Advanced dialog. Then the speed can be controlled by the Speed03 setting. Note that for this to work the CPU fan has to be a PWM (4-wire) fan.

One final note to Xtra3dB, you blew up the power FET on your sys_fan2 connector so it's not possible to control the speed anymore.

IMO its sad that this board doesn't take care of this on all headers. That being said there is a danger in wiring more then 1 fan to a header. The headers are made to run 1 fan and not 2.

Not true in all cases - the MOSFET on the Gigabyte board I have can handle at least 1.5A which is 6 "normal" 120mm fans.

You can usually get the power rating from the Manual.... or at least avoid making blanket statements!

Using a Y splitter is a good idea - juts cut one of the yellow wires so only one fan supplies the tacho signal back to the MoBo.

Hi,

I just got my new UD3P, it was quite easy to set up the fan controlling via Speedfan.
    CNPS 9500 (3-Pin) - CPU_FAN
    Noctua 120x120 - SYS_FAN1
    Enermax Pro82 - PWR_FAN
    Noctua 92x92 - SYS_FAN2
    In my case latest Speedfan beta 4.38.14 is able to control CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN2.
    I didn't tried the PWR_FAN connector but SYS_FAN1 is not controllable.

OSJF, can you take some snaps of the setup within speedfan app?
    Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P Motherboard (F10F Bios)
    ToughPower 650 PSU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300
    Windows XP x64
    8gb PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) OCZ Reaper Memory
    500gb Seagate SATA Hard Drive
    20x LG SATA Dvd Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card
    MSI ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information