Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Question Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

Good afternoon everyone,

Little background I built my new system recently and wanted to make sure the system was a lot more quite then my older AMD/abit rig, so I picked up some fans that not only had a low db/noise ratio but that also hooked up to motherboard directly instead of just the molex connectors so the motherboard could adjust the speed etc based on temperature.

All my previous rigs have used AMD chips which have the cool and quite feature which is installed and then enabled by going into your power settings and selecting "minimum power usage". You could literally hear how much that quited down idle systems instantly.

My question is how can I turn on this power savings mode on the Gigabyte board? Inside the Tuner6 I do see the smart settings but I only see the cpu fan being listed. I have a GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard and 2 Enermax Magma 120mm fans hooked up to the board (one for the front and one for the back of the case). Fans have 3 pin connectors.

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Fan Controllers (Never Change Speed?)

I don't think the BIOS allows for any fans other than the CPU fan to be throttled; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

To enable power savings mode, enable "CPU EIST Function" in Advanced BIOS Features. Then in PC Health Status, enable "CPU Smart FAN Control". That way at least your CPU fan will have variable speeds.

If you are using Vista, there is one additional step. In Power Options, you need to edit your Power Plan's minimum and maximum processor state. I use 5% as minimum and 100% as maximum myself.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Your BIOS only allows CPU Fan settings to be changed.

You can however try speedfan, but I think it is terrible. Only Sys_Fan 2 has speed control on it. Should change on it's own If you are using a PWM Fan, but not sure

One of our members found this during tests for GA boards, Wish I could remember who it was so I could add them some credit when I post this

CPU_FAN connector needs a CPU cooler with four wires were the PWM modulator is included in the cooler. The mobo senses the CPU temperature and managing the pin 4 signal, the cooler's fan will automatically be increased or decreased, following the CPU temp. Fan's rotation feedback returns via pin 3 for BIOS alarm feature.

SYS_FAN2 connector needs any fan, with three or four wires (don't care) since the speed is controlled via on-board PWM controller that supply pulse-width-modulated 12v for the fan via pin 2.
    So, if using a four wire fan, its internal PWM is locked to full speed (this explain that fixed 5v on pin 4).
    This time, the mobo senses the North Bridge (in my case the P35) temperature and will increase or decrease the speed of the fan connected in this socket. Feedback is sent to pin 3 for BIOS alarm purposes.

SYS_FAN1 and PWR_FAN are three pin socket with fixed full speed fan. No controlled rotation at all from the mobo. Rotation feedback also monitored via pin 3 only for BIOS alarm purpose.

Very interesting guys thanks!

I did notice that when I connected one of the fans to one of the pins that the fan spun 1200rpm instead of the rated 1500. I then swapped it into a different connector and it started to spin at 1500. I can't remember which one until I reopen up the slot.

Its a shame that the board doesn't control all the fans. I specifically spent a few more bucks to get 3 pin fans.

Hope that helps you some, sorry to hear you did not get what you wanted! Next time, try to grab the manual for the board you are looking at just so you can get a idea of what it offers before you buy.

Good luck getting your fans setup how you like them. You may just want to put $20 into a fan controller and call it a day

On my UD3P board, the SYS_FAN2 header isn't speed controllable even when using PWM fans. I have three 80mm Arctic Cooling PWM fans in the front of my case and when they're plugged into the SYS_FAN2 header, they run slower than their rated RPM no matter how hot anything is. All PWM fans I've tried on this header do the same thing.

Is this normal? I noticed in the manual that the CPU header and the FAN2 Header both have the same pin layout except Pin 4. On the CPU header pin 4 is shown as a second Speed Control line and on the SYS_FAN2 header it's labeled as +5V. I'm perplexed by this header and wonder what it's purpose in life is since it doesn't seem to actually control anything hooked to it and it won't even spin fans up to their lowest rated speed.

Is it possible for Gigabyte to add a way to control the SYS_FAN2 header in a future BIOS update?

Well thats interesting. I had the same problem with the SYS_FAN2 running my fan much lower then its rated speed. Maybe we should all email gigabyte.

Honestly seeing that it was 2008 and the board was new, I couldn't imagine that the fans wouldn't be speed controlled by the motherboard. Especially since gigabyte was advertising how energy efficient the board is.

PS has anyone else noticed that when they start the board up it takes like an extra second or so for the cpu fan to start spinning?

That second or so is normal with all boards for the CPU fan to startup. Some will be longer then others depending on the CPU Fan used.

Sys_Fan 2 always seems to have issues I think, dont know why. Likely that +5V line as alot of fans will not function properly with only 5V. Have you guys tested 3pin fans on this header, how do they act?

Gigabyte either has those pin assignments listed wrong, or they don't follow Intel specs. I'm guessing they're listed wrong since the stock PWM fans on Intel CPU coolers work, as do all other PWM fans I've connected to the CPU_Fan header.

Intel specs:
    Pin 1 = Ground
    Pin 2 = +12V
    Pin 3 = Sense (RPM Reporting)
    Pin 4 = Control (PWM signal)

The Gigabyte manual has them listed as:
    Pin 1 = Ground
    Pin 2 = Speed Control
    Pin 3 = Sense
    Pin 4 = Speed Control on CPU_FAN header & +5V on SYS_FAN2 header

The +5V on pin four of the SYS_FAN2 header is where the PWM signal would normally be so I would think a permanent 5V there should make any PWM fan rull full speed all the time.

I tried putting a 3-pin fan on the SYS_FAN2 header and that fan, like my case fans, ran below it's minimum rated RPM. That worried me, because that wasn't a PWM fan and I wasn't using the PWM pin so it should have received full voltage. Because my fans wouldn't run at normal speed on the SYS_FAN2 header I decided to stick my trusty DMM in there and read some voltages. There was only 7.4 volts on Pin 2 which is the fan supply voltage. In the process of reading voltages, I accidentally shorted pins 1 & 2. The computer rebooted itself immediately and lo & behold.. when it came back on.... there was 12V on pin 2. I plugged my PWM case fans back in and now they run full speed. I have no idea why there was only 7.4v on there to begin with, but am happy that it's up to 12V. Total dumb luck that I was able to cure the problem, but it's a little unsettling that accidentally shorting the supply voltage to ground fixed it. Lucky I didn't scorch the header or worse.

The only reason I even wanted to use the SYS_FAN2 header is to control the speed of my front case fans and get an RPM reading. Getting an RPM reading is no problem, but there's stilll no way to control their speed using that header. To remedy that, I'm going to remove the pin 4 wire from the front case fan connector, and splice it to pin 4 on the CPU fan. That PWM signal should then control both the CPU fan and my front case fans while still allowing each to report proper RPM without interfering with each other.

I don't understand why motherboard manufacturers don't set up two PWM fan headers that are speed controllable. The CPU fan runs based on CPU temp. How hard would it be for them to set up another PWM header for a system fan that runs based on the System Temperature sensor?
    Last edited by Xtra3dB; 01-14-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: didn't finish my thought. ;)

On my AMD board, SYS FAN 1 is the 4 pin "controlled" header. However, Gigabyte have gotten both the sensing area wrong, and the calibration.

I too measure the DC voltage out of the header with the Fan control set to Enable. It measured 7.1V. If I play a hair dryer near the NB, this voltage increases linearly. The NB temp only increase by 1 or 2 degrees when loaded, so the SYS Fan does nothing to cool the rest of the components...

I contacted Gigabyte technical, but their arrogance got in the way.

Paying a premium appears to not pay off...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information